Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2015, 23:41   #211

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Thanks guys.

Les Powles - clearly a member and survivor of the "go-now-club"
Well, you sure as heck aren't going to do it any younger. Not you, specifically, Wotty, but anyone.

I'm glad to hear Mahi's skipper is safe at last, till next time he's unsafe.

Ann
Old 22-09-2015, 23:55   #212

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

So sorry to sound dumb, but does mean we actually have confirmation that he's safe on dry land? (Well, as safe as any pedestrian in QLD traffic... which is probably less safe than 300 miles from shore.)

Matt
Old 23-09-2015, 00:38   #213

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Does anyone else recall the englishman... aged in his mid 70s?.... who left NZ without clearance (back when they were applying their laws to foreign boats) and sailed directo to the UK via Cape Horn?
I had read his book and a mate was describing an old Englishman moored beside him at the Fremantle Yacht Club in Western Australia who turned out to be Les.

He was eating up big to recover from running out of tucker on the way across the Indian Ocean. Rigging failure had prevented him from making one of his scheduled landfalls and by the time he got to Carnarvon he was so weak from hunger that he could not work the boat and needed to be towed into port.

Having read the book I was aware of his propensity for excessively long voyages on minimalist supplies and jokingly offered to pack up a carton of baked beans and a large bag of rice and label it "For Emergencies Only" he declined stating that he would avoid the supply problem in the future having been caught a couple of times already.

We went to a fish and chip shop a number of times and I asked him why he did not fish for food. He explained that whilst he was fond of fish he could not bring himself to kill them.

When he made it to Britain and was asked why he did not go into a South American port for food he explained that NZ had a thing about not clearing out yachts unless they carried Cat x safety equipment and since he neither had it nor could afford it he just departed without attempting to clear out and was then afraid to stop in South America because the corrupt beggars would use it as an excuse to hold him or his boat to ransom.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 03:03   #214

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
So sorry to sound dumb, but does mean we actually have confirmation that he's safe on dry land? (Well, as safe as any pedestrian in QLD traffic... which is probably less safe than 300 miles from shore.)

Matt
The last we knew was this morning police were preparing to go out and help him in, but so far no result from that.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 03:27   #215

In that case my diet remains finger nails for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Old 23-09-2015, 03:42   #216
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
GOOD NEWS day

He's five miles off Stradbroke, police are this moring preparing to go out and get him and tow him in as he's pretty exhausted. What an incrediblly resilient man
There are two Stradbroke Islands with a shallow bar between them. He wouldn't be coming into Moreton Bay between them. It is also unlikey IMHO, that he would enter Moreton Bay between North Stardbroke and Moreton Island, especially in the strong southery weather that is current today.

That leaves a long haul north to Cape Moreton before the longish trip across Moreton Bay to home.

RC, any idea where in Brisbane / Moreton Bay he might go? The western side of Moreton bay is quite long
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 04:24   #217
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Well, you sure as heck aren't going to do it any younger. Not you, specifically, Wotty, but anyone.

I'm glad to hear Mahi's skipper is safe at last, till next time he's unsafe.

Ann
While Ann specifically states here that she does not mean you wotty...

But....

Pretty elated at the news of "nearly safely in"...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 04:35   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
There are two Stradbroke Islands with a shallow bar between them. He wouldn't be coming into Moreton Bay between them. It is also unlikey IMHO, that he would enter Moreton Bay between North Stardbroke and Moreton Island, especially in the strong southery weather that is current today.

That leaves a long haul north to Cape Moreton before the longish trip across Moreton Bay to home.

RC, any idea where in Brisbane / Moreton Bay he might go? The western side of Moreton bay is quite long
ok, I don't know the area at all. Never been there. But I've been informed police have been to him tonight and it was too rough to take him under tow so they threw him some more diesel and food and told him to head to the customs dock, wherever that would be. Eventually I suspect he will be heading to Montys Marina at Caboolture.. That's where he set off from apparently. He's expected in tomorrow.
Old 23-09-2015, 09:10   #219

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
GOOD NEWS day

He's five miles off Stradbroke, police are this moring preparing to go out and get him and tow him in as he's pretty exhausted. What an incrediblly resilient man
Great! I guess St. Elmo was looking out for him.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 09:25   #220

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
ok, I don't know the area at all. Never been there. But I've been informed police have been to him tonight and it was too rough to take him under tow so they threw him some more diesel and food and told him to head to the customs dock, wherever that would be. Eventually I suspect he will be heading to Montys Marina at Caboolture.. That's where he set off from apparently. He's expected in tomorrow.

Great to hear. Will keep hoping for his safe arrival.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 13:44   #221

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I guess I was a bit premature.

If it's too strong from the S to SE to get him under tow, he could go take refuge at Yellow Bluff, on the northern tip of Moreton Is. Get a good rest.

The shortest route in would be through the Kianawah channel at high water, then along the West side of the island, bashing into the southerly, but eventually, he can crack off, and head towards the mouth of the Brisbane river, the Customs Dock is at Rivergate Marina, not too far upriver.

If he gets too tired, he can inform the authorities it is unsafe for him to continue, alone at night, etc., and he could anchor in the lee of Mud Island, planning to go in early in the a.m.

Ann
Old 23-09-2015, 14:10   #222
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Yes, that makes sense Ann as it can be a very sloppy place on the approaches to the river on a southerly change.

There is also a Pilot Station just at the beginning of the river, where he could probably get cleared back in and assisted, before going to the marina.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 15:00   #223

Any updates this morning? I am hoping to hear he has dry feet.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-09-2015, 15:02   #224

No there isn't.

We are only guessing that he's reached shore, but neither he nor police have passed on if he has. Understanably family arn't that impressed.
Old 24-09-2015, 16:44   #225
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
……. Understanably family arn't that impressed.

I guess they aren't!

No disrespect to family or the skipper but methinks the family aren't impressed with the whole saga, especially the apparently "permanent" move to Fiji.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, yacht