Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2006, 07:39   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Unplanned PFD Test

West Marine Offshore 4000 PFD was armed and stowed inside its original plastic front/mesh back package on the upper crew berth. Heavy rains somehow found their way inside the boat (that never happens ) and wet the bunk and the gear on it.

No problemo... I'll just take these soggy things topside and let 'ol Sol dry them out. Funny thing but 3 hours later I went up and found the PFD had inflated - it looked like 10lbs of s*** stuffed into a 3lb sack. Hmm - I don't remember falling overboard.. Maybe I'm not supposed to inflate this thing inside the package? Go figure...

Let's see - water plus sun = steam, so the little auto-inflator dissolving pill did its thing and fired the cartridge. Dang it....

At least the thing held air the way it should have.... I should start a new TV show.. ASSV 'America's Stupidest Sailors Videos'....

Old 28-07-2006, 22:04   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Mark,
At least now we know the things work. Will have to store them in a dry place though, huh?
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2006, 04:47   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
Yeah, and wait until you see how much those little "pills" cost. Better yet, what to you see what the CO2 cartridges cost!
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2006, 12:55   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The pills are cheap enough, but $20 a pop for the cart brings the re-arm price up to a nice dinner. I haven't found anyplace else that sells the "marine" 30-gram carts with the wide necks, somehow the paintball industry seems to have conveniently skipped that size.

Decisions, decisions...<G>...
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2006, 13:46   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
$20 bucks a pop, that will be close to forty here in NZ then.
Hmmmm, maybe I should remove all those Co2 thingys and tell crew if they want to inflate, they have to blow. :')

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2006, 14:09   #6

I was able to get the CO2 cartridges a lot more reasonablly by buying a box of 10. I'll have to look through my receipts to check on the vendor. Seems like I could get them for $10 each at that price.

Keith
Old 29-07-2006, 14:40   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Box of ten?? in the 33 gram size, or the more common 12-16-25 gram sizes?

33 gram seems vastly excessive for the amount of lift the vests using them provide, since diving bc's use smaller sizes and get *more* lift out of them. A conspiracy to force users to buy large and undiscounted supplies, no doubt.<G>
Old 29-07-2006, 15:56   #8

The units I have say 38 Grams on them. They have a screw on fitting as opposed to the push on fittings. I am sure there is a bit of overkill there, but, on saftey devices I don't mind overkill.
Old 29-07-2006, 17:04   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

38, even better. I'm told the bayonet fittings (what you call push on) are a newer style. Overkill is nice but AFAIK the 25 gram size an provide 50+ pounds of lift, and the conventional Type5 PFD only provides 34 pounds of lift, meaning the 25 gram is already nearly a 200% margin.

"More is better" doesn't play for me, especially when it is hanging around my neck.<G>
Old 29-07-2006, 19:33   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41
Had the same problem with the Waste Marine PFD. In the instructions it says that you are to replace the white powder things every year. I plan on taking the rings out at the end of the season so as to prevent the accidental misfire. the rings are much cheaper than the cylynders.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pfd