Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2006, 22:21   #1

Type 1 diabetics

Are there any Type 1 diabetics out there sailing long voyges?If so what do you think of it?Does it restrict you in any way?My missus is type 1 and everyone keeps giving me the "Dont take her out there with Type 1,Its stupid and irresponsible ",and frankly I think its just another excuse people have to stop you from doing what you want when all else fails.Any thoughts are welcome except the negative ones.Thanks.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 22:25   #2

mudnut

Just make sure that you carry enough insulin and needles to help out your Mrs.?

And also make sure you have a refrigeration or chill system. To kee the insulin chilled. Once a insulin bottle is opened. It has to chilled.

My mother is a diebetic.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 22:36   #3
Kai Nui

It would be irresponsible for you to "take her out there", but it most certainly would not be irresponsible for her to go. Type 1 can be maintained, as you are aware. people with other major health issues cruise all the time. You will have to make certain concessions, but as long as you are willing and able to make those concessions, it is none of anyone's business. It is a real concern that you might need emergency help at sometime, but requesting help for a true emergency is what such resources are there for. Cruising is a calculated risk in itself, as are all of life's most rewarding activities. If you have made the proper preparations, and have calculated that the risk is as low as possible, why not.
It sounds to me like you are talking to people who think motorcycles should be banned, mountain climbing should be illegal, and the Olympic athletes should not be allowed to push so hard. Tell them to watch for your first book. They will have plenty of time to read it in their Lazy Boys.
Old 02-02-2006, 23:10   #4

Ive been a little sly posting this thread,My missus is the bigest offender in useing it as an exscuse.What I was hopeing was that there were a trillion Type 1s out there just to prove a point!Actually she and I have it prettywell sorted out,even when she goes into a hyperglysemic fit "Something she hasnt had for a long time"We have what we call BIG ORANGE ,Its an instant fix needle that comes with a huge shot of freeze dried glucose."It comes in an orange plastic case,hence the name"Im the one that has to administer it"Its so much pleasure for me as the actual needle is sooo long ,and by the time she needs that she hasnt a clue whats going on,and I get to jab it into her.Oh for the crulest simple pleasures in life.I just wanted to prove to her that regardless of type 1 it wasent a valid reason not to go.
Old 02-02-2006, 23:22   #5
Kai Nui

Hey, if the blind can cruise, and paraplegics can climb mountains, diabetes is no excuse to stay home. You only go around once, and if it ends doing something, as opposed to doing nothing, you are way ahead of the masses.
In all seriousness though, I do know one person with insulin dependent diabetes that cruises. I know he has been cruising the Pacific coast for years, and stops to work for a month here and there. I also know he has single handed to Hawaii once with no problems. (At least none that he would admit too) The fact that he has diabetes, and the fact that he cruises have never been mixed in the same conversation in the few times we have crossed paths, but I have to asume that it is not a problem, or he would be doing something else. If he can do it, I am sure the two of you can.
Old 02-02-2006, 23:30   #6

mudnut

I wouldn't let your wife worry about something like that. Like Kai just stated in the post before this one. If the blind can cruise, and paraplegics can climb mountains. Then your wife can cruise too!!

I forgot who this person is. But this paraplegic climbed Mount. Everest. And that in itself is a major feat for mankind. For his kind?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 03-02-2006, 00:23   #7

Thanks nfor the replys,it's nothing short of what I expected,we arnt married,Jo's not going to be doing this with me,like I said I was being a bit sly!!I guess I just carnt believe that its the biggest argument thats being laid on my need to go cruising,we have allready had the "Dear John/Jane letter stuff"and regardless I just wanted HER to know it wasn't valid. Hell putting the two of us in such small confines would cause enough energy to power a nuclear aircraft carrier.But if there is anybody out there that sails long distance with type 1 diabetis,I still love to hear about it just incase Jo changes her mind.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:39   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I don't know of any long distance cruisers. But I do know of many people with the illness and they cope with it no problem. Only two issues to consider really. You need to ensure that what ever country you visit has insuline easily availble to you if you need to restock. The other is to ensure you have insulin either in your grab bag or liferaft medkit incase things turn pearshaped. Of course, that "pearshape" issue you may not want to discuss with her if she is already looking for opts out.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:15   #9

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
from an ex-EMT

I don't see any reasons for her NOT to go other than she is afraid to.

I know a lot of VERY ACTIVE type I diabetics who mountian climb, run 10k's ( one guy did iron man). A good buddy of mine is an active scuba diver!

What it does mean is that you pre-plan for the potential problems. You can control a large part of diabetes by just modifying when and what you eat. Most Type I's I know have a strict food intake schedule, that would be very easy on a boat that you are living on! (as opposed to just living aboard for a short jaunt.) Your food planning, exercise and medicine requirements require more detail than your 'average' cruiser.

My wife requires several meds, one of which needs to be refrigerated and need to be take at specific times of the day. We still hike in the back country and go diving in the Gulf of Mexico, travel for a week on end.... It's just a matter of pre-planning how to do what you need to do. She really wants to live the life of a cruising bum (um sailor, yeah... ) and will make adjustments to figure out how to do it!

If she's using the meds as an excuse then there is an underlying issue you need to find and address. If she wants to go cruising SHE will find a way to make it happen.
2divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 18:09   #10
Kai Nui

Mudnut, long distance cruising is a relative term. Blue water cruising is far more specific. Consider this, you can cruise coastal virtually forever. And this will require only shorter stints together aboard the boat. If it gets too much, one of you can always fly or take a bus or train to the next destination. I know a few cruisers that work it that way. He sails to Europe, she flys out to spend the summer with him. He sails to France, she heads home to the US. He sails to spain, and his kids fly out for a while, then his wife flys out for a while. You get the picture. It is not a bad way to go, and lets both of you enjoy travelling. It will also put her in a better position if she starts getting nervous about her diabetes. She can rent an apartment at some central location wherever you happen to be, and take short sails from there for a few months.
Old 03-02-2006, 20:32   #11

Mudnut.

Call that mutual cooperation !!

It takes two to tango?

If from what we have already mentioned earlier. It's not difficult to bring your wife/girlfriend along.

And, "to hell," to the other people that knows the two of you. They shouldn't disrepect you like that. They sure are not your friends?

Old 23-05-2008, 06:22   #12

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
This may be an older thread, but it is one of my main concerns as well. My wife is insulin dependent and has limited herself drastically the past few years. I think the thought of cruising has actually brought her out a bit as she is quite excited and is making plans to ensure she has enough supplies, and has a method of re supply, even away from home.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 15:35   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Mudnut,

Okay here you go. I (Mike) am a real, live, Type 1 diabetic cruising since 10/06, living on our sailboat since 9/05 and actively sailing on all types of monos, cats and tris since 1984.

The short answer is it can be done. I would be happy to discuss the longer answer(s) with you and/or your wife at any time - PM or email.
Old 28-05-2008, 02:59   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See also:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post166571

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote