Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2016, 05:46   #1

Top 50 Murder Cities - Includes Jamaica & Brazil

I know a lot of these cities on this list are not coastal but some are frequented by cruisers. Perhaps it would be a good idea to publish such a list regarding the piracy and theft hot spots for cruisers as well.

THE 50 MOST DANGEROUS CITIES IN THE WORLD - BY HOMICIDES PER 100,000 INHABITANTS IN 2015
1. Caracas, Venezuela – 119.87
2. San Pedro Sula, Honduras – 111.03
3. San Salvador, El Salvador – 108.54
4. Acapulco, Mexico – 104.73
5. Maturin, Venezuela – 86.45
6. Distrito Central, Honduras – 73.51
7. Valencia, Venezuela – 72.31
8. Palmira, Colombia – 70.88
9. Cape Town, South Africa – 65.53
10. Cali, Colombia – 64.27
11. Cuidad Guayana, Venezuela – 62.33
12. Fortaleza, Brazil – 60.77
13. Natal, Brazil – 60.66
14. Salvador, Brazil – 60.63
15. St Louis, Missouri, U.S. – 59.23
16. Joao Pessoa, Brazil – 58.40
17. Culiacan, Mexico – 56.09
18. Maceio, Brazil – 55.63
19. Baltimore, Maryland, U.S. – 54.98
20. Barquisimeto, Venezuela – 54.96
21. Sao Luis, Brazil – 53.05
22. Cuiaba, Brazil – 48.52
23. Manaus, Brazil – 47.87
24. Cumana, Venezuela – 47.77
25. Guatemala City, Guatemala – 47.17
26. Belem, Brazil – 45.83
27. Feira de Santana, Brazil – 45.5
28. Detroit, Michigan, U.S. – 43.89
29. Goiania, Brazil – 43.38
30. Teresina, Brazil – 42.64
31. Vitoria, Brazil – 41.99
32. New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S. – 41.44
33. Kingston, Jamaica – 41.14
34. Gran Barcelona, Venezuela – 40.08
35. Tijuana, Mexico – 39.09
36. Vitoria da Conquista, Brazil – 38.46
37. Recife, Brazil – 38.12
38. Aracaju. Brazil – 37.7
39. Campos dos Goytacazes, Brazil – 36.16
40. Campina Grande, Brazil – 36.04
41. Durban, South Africa – 35.93
42. Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa – 35.85
43. Porto Alegre, Brazil – 34.73
44. Curitiba, Brazil – 34.71
45. Pereira, Colombia – 32.58
46. Victoria, Mexico – 30.50
47. Johannesburg, South Africa – 30.31
48. Macapa, Brazil – 30.25
49. Maracaibo, Venezuela – 28.85
50. Obregon, Mexico – 28.29

Read more: The world's most violent cities revealed with 21 of them in Brazil | Daily Mail Online

PS: The Daily Mail is not my usual source of information but it appeared on a news aggregation site that I regularly scan.

Stay safe.

Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 06:27   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Top 50 Murder Cities - Includes Jamaica & Brazil

Venezuela, they work really hard to earn that reputation,,,,i mean the POLITICS....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 06:29   #3

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
I know a lot of these cities on this list are not coastal but some are frequented by cruisers. Perhaps it would be a good idea to publish such a list regarding the piracy and theft hot spots for cruisers as well.

THE 50 MOST DANGEROUS CITIES IN THE WORLD - BY HOMICIDES PER 100,000 INHABITANTS IN 2015
1. Caracas, Venezuela – 119.87
2. San Pedro Sula, Honduras – 111.03
3. San Salvador, El Salvador – 108.54
4. Acapulco, Mexico – 104.73
5. Maturin, Venezuela – 86.45
6. Distrito Central, Honduras – 73.51
7. Valencia, Venezuela – 72.31
8. Palmira, Colombia – 70.88
9. Cape Town, South Africa – 65.53
10. Cali, Colombia – 64.27
11. Cuidad Guayana, Venezuela – 62.33
12. Fortaleza, Brazil – 60.77
13. Natal, Brazil – 60.66
14. Salvador, Brazil – 60.63
15. St Louis, Missouri, U.S. – 59.23
16. Joao Pessoa, Brazil – 58.40
17. Culiacan, Mexico – 56.09
18. Maceio, Brazil – 55.63
19. Baltimore, Maryland, U.S. – 54.98
20. Barquisimeto, Venezuela – 54.96
21. Sao Luis, Brazil – 53.05
22. Cuiaba, Brazil – 48.52
23. Manaus, Brazil – 47.87
24. Cumana, Venezuela – 47.77
25. Guatemala City, Guatemala – 47.17
26. Belem, Brazil – 45.83
27. Feira de Santana, Brazil – 45.5
28. Detroit, Michigan, U.S. – 43.89
29. Goiania, Brazil – 43.38
30. Teresina, Brazil – 42.64
31. Vitoria, Brazil – 41.99
32. New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S. – 41.44
33. Kingston, Jamaica – 41.14
34. Gran Barcelona, Venezuela – 40.08
35. Tijuana, Mexico – 39.09
36. Vitoria da Conquista, Brazil – 38.46
37. Recife, Brazil – 38.12
38. Aracaju. Brazil – 37.7
39. Campos dos Goytacazes, Brazil – 36.16
40. Campina Grande, Brazil – 36.04
41. Durban, South Africa – 35.93
42. Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa – 35.85
43. Porto Alegre, Brazil – 34.73
44. Curitiba, Brazil – 34.71
45. Pereira, Colombia – 32.58
46. Victoria, Mexico – 30.50
47. Johannesburg, South Africa – 30.31
48. Macapa, Brazil – 30.25
49. Maracaibo, Venezuela – 28.85
50. Obregon, Mexico – 28.29

Read more: The world's most violent cities revealed with 21 of them in Brazil | Daily Mail Online

PS: The Daily Mail is not my usual source of information but it appeared on a news aggregation site that I regularly scan.

Stay safe.

Chaya
Thanks for the list. Very interesting. It seems that fully 20 of the 50 or 40% in total are in Brazil! Of the remainder the overwhelming majority flank the Caribbean, and four are in the USA.

Only two are outside the Americas, both being in South Africa.

So… for those Americans who worry about violence abroad, spread your sails wide, and you will find it drops off remarkably!

I only say this in friendship and respect, not to cause a controversy or debate. Just that there are frequently posts on this site and others wherein specifically people from the Americas discuss security as their primary concern. Perhaps this is evidence as to the reason… and as to why, beyond the Tropical and Subtropical Americas (with the exception of a couple of cities in the US and a couple in South Africa), there is less and less to concern yourself with…
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 06:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Thanks for the list. Very interesting. It seems that fully 20 of the 50 or 40% in total are in Brazil! Of the remainder the overwhelming majority flank the Caribbean, and four are in the USA.

Only two are outside the Americas, both being in South Africa.

So… for those Americans who worry about violence abroad, spread your sails wide, and you will find it drops off remarkably!

I only say this in friendship and respect, not to cause a controversy or debate. Just that there are frequently posts on this site and others wherein specifically people from the Americas discuss security as their primary concern. Perhaps this is evidence as to the reason… and as to why, beyond the Tropical and Subtropical Americas (with the exception of a couple of cities in the US and a couple in South Africa), there is less and less to concern yourself with…
MF, I agree with you. While I love Jamaican chilies I think I will think more than twice about this port. It is very unfortunate about Brazil since I have a second home on Buenos Aires. Looks like I will have to take the mid atlantic route by passing Brazil altogether, unless I find some really safe marinas.

its interesting that Asia and of course the Med seem to be extremely safe cruising locals in comparison to this murder city list. Given the United States proximity to this awful murder rate in the Americas little wonder that boaters from the United States are more vocal on such things as carrying self defense weapons while cruising. And please I don't want this to become another gun debate. Just that it gives a perspective as to why differences in view seem apparent between say Europeans and US sailors on this issue.

Regards,
Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 07:05   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

I feel the list tells a cruiser pretty much nothing. The murder rate means nothing to individuals unless it details the who is being killer and who is doing the killing. I bet the biggest category is criminals (drug related) killing other criminals and the next is domestic violence.
Old 28-01-2016, 07:09   #6

Boat: Ohlson 29

For those that want to keep track: here's a World Map that shows a very clear picture:
Mapped: Which countries have the highest murder rates? - Telegraph

Quote:
Central and South America have the highest homicide rates in the world while European cities are least blighted by murder. Murder continues to blight countries in Central and South America, while almost half a million people lose their lives each year due to intentional homicide, figures reveal.
Central and South American countries had the highest homicide rates in the world, according to figures published by United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.
Honduras and Venezuela are the most murderous nations on the world, with over one in 1,000 being killed each year.
Old 28-01-2016, 07:11   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

For the Caribbean, https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com is the site to check for security incidents and reports. Use those to determine your comfort level for visiting various countries..
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1453993874.826290.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	117847
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 07:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
MF, I agree with you. While I love Jamaican chilies I think I will think more than twice about this port. It is very unfortunate about Brazil since I have a second home on Buenos Aires. Looks like I will have to take the mid atlantic route by passing Brazil altogether, unless I find some really safe marinas.

its interesting that Asia and of course the Med seem to be extremely safe cruising locals in comparison to this murder city list. Given the United States proximity to this awful murder rate in the Americas little wonder that boaters from the United States are more vocal on such things as carrying self defense weapons while cruising. And please I don't want this to become another gun debate. Just that it gives a perspective as to why differences in view seem apparent between say Europeans and US sailors on this issue.

Regards,
Chaya
WRT Asia… it is extremely safe, by and large. Astonishingly so in many respects. Of course, in some areas, such as Indonesia, that general and genuine safety and low crime status occasionally erupts into the most appalling violence imaginable… Where I was anchored at Kumai, for example, last year, had been the scene of thousands of beheadings and murders on a few days in 1998, with many people cannibalised. I remember having tea in a house in the Banda Spice Islands a while back, and on being told that this was the last plantation house owned by a Christian (Dutch) person, asked naturally what happened to them, to be told they were murdered a few feet from where I was sitting, along with the remaining Xtian population, just a few years earlier! The tea continued peacefully as we discussed the fact that no one was prosecuted for the pogrom… nor likely will ever be. But in that country (specifically) the violence is extremely isolated to episodic moments in history. They are gentle, sweet, kind, mild mannered etc… (if rather corrupt as a society) and then suddenly it all changes, for a few weeks… But what weeks!

The central zone of the Americas is really the most violent peacetime area of the world, though, for sure.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 28-01-2016, 07:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I feel the list tells a cruiser pretty much nothing. The murder rate means nothing to individuals unless it details the who is being killer and who is doing the killing. I bet the biggest category is criminals (drug related) killing other criminals and the next is domestic violence.
No. These figures clearly flag general societal trends. The Caribbean and Northern South America are BY FAR the most dangerous zone for sailors, having the lion's share (and a strongly disproportionate one) of violent attacks on cruising yachts, worldwide.
Old 28-01-2016, 07:22   #10

Boat: Ohlson 29

To be honest, I never check numbers like these - there are a few 'hot spots' I'd rather avoid, but those aren't exactly news.

Brazil, for instance, looks like a "no go zone" based on the numbers, but I have family there and -just like most countries- there are certain (neighborhoods in) cities to avoid, but using common sense you should be just fine.

(As my nephew who lives there says: simply avoiding certain areas and not getting involved with the drugs helps a lot ).

Even here in the Netherlands, there are certain neighborhoods in some cities I'll avoid. Not so much because I'm afraid of getting murdered, but there's other trouble I don't need Think that goes for pretty much every country.
Old 28-01-2016, 07:34   #11
CLOD

Quote:
No. These figures clearly flag general societal trends. The Caribbean and Northern South America are BY FAR the most dangerous zone for sailors, having the lion's share (and a strongly disproportionate one) of violent attacks on cruising yachts, worldwide.
Really? How many cruisers pull into some of those cities? The list has nothing to do with dangerous cities to cruisers or even tourists. It's only a few posts in and you are already changing the topic.

This thread topic has been done lots of times. It probably will be a gun thread by end of page 2.
Old 28-01-2016, 07:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Really? How many cruisers pull into say Mexico City? The list has nothing to do with dangerous cities to cruisers or even tourists. It's only a few posts in and you are already changing the topic.

This thread topic has been done lots of times. It probably will be a gun thread by end of page 2.
Er… are you feeling quite well?
Old 28-01-2016, 07:38   #13

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

At the same time a cruiser put a foot in a foreign land is defined as a tourist...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 07:40   #14

Boat: Sandibar 35

The strong dominance of Americas in this list is a little surprising. I agree with MF that this has some relevance to cruisers and reflects the general safety of a destination. Of course, by not being stupid you will be out of harms way mostly. There is a risk however when you are in a new area. My first visit to Brazil was in December. Definitely found myself in the wrong neighborhood one evening. I'm not an inexperienced traveler and have lived in Asia for 8 years, but this time the vibe of the place changed after dark and we made a hasty exit with a friend.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 07:40   #15
CLOD

Quote:
Er… are you feeling quite well?
I feel fine, thanks for asking even though I don't know why you asked.

Tags
Brazil, Jamaica