Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2011, 18:40   #31

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Re: Thru Hull Threads

Anyway you see all the corrosion on the thru hulls at the head. Whats the best way to clean it off?
Old 17-08-2011, 19:19   #32

Boat: PETERSON 44
Green on a fitting isn't a problem. Having fittings snap is.we don't know the metal used on any of these gate valves or nipples. Maybe po used a brass nipple explains why it snapped. Yes you could just replace nipple if the gate valve closes replace the fitting. Hang lots of zinc over the side and pray. There are signs of not good stuff like the single rusty hose clamp. I would haul. And get this right. If a hose bursts a clamp fails or another brass nipple let's loose you will loose everything. The body of the gate valve may be bronze not uncommon on straight thread fittings but we can't tell. The nipple failed not from the surface stuff you see but the corrosion on the other side you don't see. Haul the boat and get fittings that are known double clamp the hoses and replace with new, I'm trying to get out of the box you can't haul now but the right twhingl to do is haul. Take that for what it is. Suprisedmno one has creamed me yet
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 19:20   #33

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Try PB Blaster and a wire brush. If you are going to remove the broken hose nipple soak the threads in PB Blaster for a period first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PBBlaster Corporation.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	30586  
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 19:48   #34

Boat: Explorer 45
Send a message via Skype™ to Brazil
I have already tried to replace valves with the boat in the water. At the end all trough hulls turned and started to leak . Actually even out the water it was impossible to open and I need to cut out the trough hull to remove it.
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 20:05   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

You have a cracked fitting and valves you can't close. It really is time to haul the boat. Trying to do anything while the boat is in the water will likely break something and you'll need to do an emergency haul.
Old 18-08-2011, 08:11   #36

Boat: UFO34

I'd be replacing everything (thru hulls, valves, nipples and hoses) based on those photos. I've just been removing my old Jabsco toilet and knocked the 3/4" ballvalve which snapped off below on the thru hull stem. A small fountain of water sprouted, before I could hammer in a plug. That looked a lot less corroded than those in the pictures!
Anyway, I've decided to replace my bronze ? brass ? (who can really tell) thruhulls and ballvalves with Forespar Marelon fittings. Why? No more corrosion worries. The spec's say same strength. Maybe just need to take care with the handles and keep up the lubrication. They were not cheap, but I think it's good insurance.
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thru hull