Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2010, 14:09   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
svalethiea - My husband had a "drifting off to sleep" idea last night that we could take too of our storage areas under our settees and turn them into built in water tanks with 'food grade' epoxy that he said he saw on the internet...seemed a bit of an oxymoron to me...anyone ever heard of 'food grade' epoxy?
West Systems epoxy has some of their products "certified" food grade (sorry, I don't remember the exact certification name, but it is something from NSF). MAS systems does not have the certification (which is presumably expensive) but I contacted them back in the day to check if any of their products would be appropriate to fix a water tank. Their reply was that the way to do this is to use "Low Viscosity Resin and Slow Hardener" (quote from the reply). This is the same product type that was certified as "food safe" from West System. The additional recommendation from West System was to use smaller amount of hardener than usual (not sure of exact reduction, but it was on a scale of %10-15). The theory behind all this is that you are trying to reduce any chemical leeching into the water and these components, when properly cured presumably produce very little of harmful chemicals (though, of course, not zero - but that's the risk to be taken with almost anything).