Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 14:43   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
The "Grey Man" Cruiser

I can be in a room full of people and I immediately know who was and or is Military.
We stand out like a sore thumb, and this is in a room full of "Americans".
So you'll stand out, trust me. But if you don't look like you "need" robbing, or don't act like the average "Ugly American" you may well be left alone.
My Brother always took great store in dressing for success etc. lost his gold Rolex Presidential and his wad of cash with gold money clip he liked to carry in Argentina.
He didn't think it funny when I told him he was lucky he didn't get killed.
He was in a cab that stopped, two people on a motorcycle pulled up and stuck a gun in his face. I feel pretty sure the cab driver was in on it, but point being, I wouldn't have gone through that as they would have looked at me, realizing I didn't have anything to steal.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 18:43   #32

Boat: 1984 Cal 31
Re: The "Grey Man" Cruiser

If walking around, leather shoes are ok, but they are better if bought locally/regionally. Otherwise, the style will likely be different. Leather might not be great in some areas - some simple canvas shoes may also work fine.

If you have free hands, pick up a local magazine or newspaper - you don't need to read it, but carry it smartly. A local branded item, washed a bit, also really helps one fit in.

I know backpacks are much more common nowadays, but shoulder bags of various sorts may make more sense in certain environments.

Ball caps are usually not that common outside the USA, especially with certain logos.

A second wallet that has $10 and an expired credit card or two makes a great diversion if your grey man attempt fails.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 19:09   #33

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

In Latin Am. go to a local baseball or soccer game. After one afternoon watching the Isla Mujeres semi pro (or just very enthusiastic ) baseball team I was waved at by a half dozen locals on their way home. Some sports encompass very large regions. Soccer is probably the most universal.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 23:25   #34

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Somehow jeans or chinos and T or golf shirts with tennies get you by.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 00:26   #35

Sometimes you are the grey man without even trying.

This was years back when me and some buddies headed for a well deserved vacation time in Cancun. After a few days under the sun it was time to visit the local clubs. By then we knew that there were usually 2 lines into any club popular with the tourists - one, obviously more expensive but always much shorter, for us gringos and the other, usually much longer but way cheaper, for the locals. So 4 of us off we go to the gringo entrance, behind a few tourists just like us. When my turn comes to get through the bouncer starts laughing and speaking Spanish fast pointing me to the locals' line, obviously expecting me not to be a gringo. I guess a few days under the sun do wonders for the "local look".

PS My physical appearance is such that I often get spoken to, not in any particular order, in Spanish, Hebrew, Italian, Arabic, Slavic, Greek, Turkish and other unknown to me Med area languages. And could never be taken for a WASP.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 05:40   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

I am yet to see a foreigner blend in. If I can spot foreigners, any local can. It does not matter what shoes, cap or newspaper you wear, you simply look out of your place, because you are out of your place.

Maybe, possibly, a person with much acting talent can do. Say a Canadian actor in Northern USA, etc.

Blending in is like learning a foreign language in two weeks - you can see this on the sidelines of the major story but only a fool clicks on.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 05:46   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The "Grey Man" Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
I envy you the ability to exist in that climate...

Having said that, I am sure you would always be welcome up here in the higher lats. Not so bad at all once you get used to it.
Don't get me wrong Morven.. loved the snows and glaciers.. the mountain streams and trails of the Hindu Kush in the '80's.. and before.
Dream used to be a log cabin.. a few of the Shetland pony sized blue-eyed local dogs and a couple of horse's.. then the powers that be decided to ruin that part of the world..
Ahh well.. back to the deserts and oceans..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 05:48   #38
cruiser

In regards the boat...

A wise man once told me: "You don't want your boat to look too good."

I think he's right.
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 05:49   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I am yet to see a foreigner blend in.
No surprise here,- nobody would see the foreigners that blend in.
Old 25-02-2016, 09:21   #40

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
^^^ ***
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 09:32   #41

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Finally, this forum is beginning to catch up with my enlightened way of telling things so that even I can understand them ...

;-)

OK ... I think I have met and exceeded my daily target of 'make yourself look and sound like a moron'

;-)

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 09:32   #42

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD28 View Post
A wise man once told me: "You don't want your boat to look too good."
Been told the same by former cruisers when I tell them I want to paint my hull ...

It's a fair point, but I would so love to get rid of the bad paint job in "what was once dark blue" ... with the original early '70's "aqua blue on LSD" showing where the paint is falling off
Old 25-02-2016, 12:26   #43

Boat: Pearson 34-II

If you are concerned about being targeted as a tourist because of your looks/dress in re: crime, you're traveling/cruising in the wrong areas. Travel to areas where crime is not a major problem and you can be yourself. I've never tried to "blend" in any foreign countries I've visited. However, I always treat locals in a friendly and respectful manner with no pretensions or attitudes. We have friends today from around the world where the friendship began as a result of a common daily discourse. Our boat is clean; we are clean; we don't wear disguises. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 25-02-2016, 12:46   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
If you are concerned about being targeted as a tourist because of your looks/dress in re: crime, you're traveling/cruising in the wrong areas. Travel to areas where crime is not a major problem and you can be yourself. I've never tried to "blend" in any foreign countries I've visited. However, I always treat locals in a friendly and respectful manner with no pretensions or attitudes. We have friends today from around the world where the friendship began as a result of a common daily discourse. Our boat is clean; we are clean; we don't wear disguises. Good luck and safe sailing.
I agree completely with this post, but I would add that not dressing as a tourist can be a way to "treat locals in a friendly and respectful manner". Being a US citizen I live among a culture with a very free dress code. When my peers and I are not dressed for professional work we often wear ragged jeans, worn shirts with flip-flop shoes. In much of the rest of the world entering a place of business dressed as we do in the USA is considered disrespectful. So, yes, I agree with Rognvald that it's not necessarily a good plan to wear a disguise, but it can be a good choice to dress in the manner that locals expect and respect.
Old 25-02-2016, 12:51   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I am yet to see a foreigner blend in. If I can spot foreigners, any local can. It does not matter what shoes, cap or newspaper you wear, you simply look out of your place, because you are out of your place.

Maybe, possibly, a person with much acting talent can do. Say a Canadian actor in Northern USA, etc.

Blending in is like learning a foreign language in two weeks - you can see this on the sidelines of the major story but only a fool clicks on.

b.
How do you know you can? ....if the one that blends in you never notice? ie: you don't know what you don't know...

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser