Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 17:45   #76
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: The controversy over "Captain Jay" continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
I know just about everybody that has a boat in the marina and have done canvas work on over 40 of them. Most will freely admit to it in a closed conversation. Many boats are crammed full of people on weekends. There's one bathroom, you do the math. These people outnumber people on the hook on this river(2) probably 200 to 1. There are 2 marinas with about 400 boats between them.

Can't do the math, because most of those boats have these things called "holding tanks." If all those boats were dumping in the marina, the stench would be overwhelming.
Old 10-10-2012, 17:54   #77
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Not at all. There's 30' of water under the marina and I'm not in backwater FL. The tide change here is 6' and runs 2-4 kts.
Old 10-10-2012, 18:02   #78
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
This is what the CG does if they inspect your sanitary system.
I guess it depends upon who is getting inspected.

In Richardson Bay we have at least a dozen anchor-outs living on derelicts that never move unless they're being blown ashore during a storm. We also have at least a hundred high-end yachts in the $500,000+ range.

When the Coast Guard conducts "Courtesy Inspections," where they board boats to check whether your flares are up to date, whether your holding tanks are working, and whether you've posted a garbage plan, guess which boats constantly get inspected?

They know full well that none of the derelicts would ever pass these inspections, and yet the people living on them somehow know that they'll never get inspected.

How does that make sense?
Old 10-10-2012, 18:04   #79

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Can't do the math, because most of those boats have these things called "holding tanks." If all those boats were dumping in the marina, the stench would be overwhelming.
I concur, and I have never seen "brown trout" in a marina in the U.S., ever.

Some other countries... different story.

It makes no sense for someone in the marina to dump their black water overboard there, their boat would sit in it, and how many people do you see fishing off their boats and dock in the marina?
Old 10-10-2012, 18:08   #80

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

In Richardson Bay we have at least a dozen anchor-outs living on derelicts that never move unless they're being blown ashore during a storm. We also have at least a hundred high-end yachts in the $500,000+ range.

When the Coast Guard conducts "Courtesy Inspections," where they board boats to check whether your flares are up to date, whether your holding tanks are working, and whether you've posted a garbage plan, guess which boats constantly get inspected?

They know full well that none of the derelicts would ever pass these inspections, and yet the people living on them somehow know that they'll never get inspected.

Now that is pretty "crappy". (pun intended)

Seriously, it sounds like the Coast Guard (gasp) profiles rich people (1%ers). I can hear this conversation with the ACLU.
Old 10-10-2012, 18:12   #81
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Not at all. There's 30' of water under the marina and I'm not in backwater FL. The tide change here is 6' and runs 2-4 kts.

Where in Florida has a 6' tide? Didn't know we had that anywhere -- or such a deep marina.
Old 10-10-2012, 18:14   #82
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
I concur, and I have never seen "brown trout" in a marina in the U.S., ever.

Some other countries... different story.

It makes no sense for someone in the marina to dump their black water overboard there, their boat would sit in it, and how many people do you see fishing off their boats and dock in the marina?

Honestly I just don't believe it.
Old 10-10-2012, 18:19   #83
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
That would be a highly regulated field. The whole business of boat salvage/breaking up falls under a LOT of environmental controls. A group with chainsaws would likely find themselves infront of the same judge and being fined for failing to follow codes themselves...

Nuthin is ever simple, is it?
That falls under the remit of "don't ask - don't tell" . If the local authorities really are that strapped for cash they would have no incentive to go and find problems.

My basic point is that if a group of folks wanted to sort out a problem they could do (with or without help of da gubberment), but I accept that most prefer to simply whine and expect someone else to "do something".

and just to make clear that I am not saying that folks on untidy looking boats (including those crapping into the sea ) are a problem for me.
Old 10-10-2012, 18:52   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

My basic point is that if a group of folks wanted to sort out a problem they could do (with or without help of da gubberment), but I accept that most prefer to simply whine and expect someone else to "do something".
What too many of my countrymen forget is 5th grade civics. We are the government. Yes the cynical will say we have no voice, no power, no money to influence - yada, yada, yada...

But the way we are organized starts at the community level. If you choose to leave local governance to your neighbors you have no right to bitch and moan.

When many European and Asian countries say "government" they are talking about a system that is largely controlled at the national level.

Too many Amercans have this flawed view that the "government" in Washington should come and fix my Marina poop problem. And the sad part is they often do.

Local, city, county, state, federal. A good "manager" would send 90% of the BS back to the next lower level.
Old 10-10-2012, 19:21   #85

Bill Gates' foundation puts money on solar-powered toilet | Reuters

We need to develop a new toilet that only has water and some CO2/ash/smoke as a by-product. I would think that this would be a big convenience for boaters.
Old 10-10-2012, 20:06   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

I thought the derelicts in Richardson Bay were all evicted? Was I misinformed or did they come back?

By the way, my first trip to Sausalito in 1980 I seem to recall there were already a bunch of old rundown looking boats in Richardson.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:47   #87
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm still trying to understand the controversy over "Captain Jay" on this thread. Just who is Catain Jay and what does he have to do with the sign/photo at the start of this thread.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:54   #88

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I'm still trying to understand the controversy over "Captain Jay" on this thread. Just who is Catain Jay and what does he have to do with the sign/photo at the start of this thread.
My understanding is that he is an older male, not wealthy, non-sailing liveaboard lifestyle, who doesn't care very much for his neighbours and simply dumps all his waste right there where he sits. I understand that his boat cannot sail under its own power and is never moved.

The overall impression I have is of someone who lives dirty and simply does not care about anyone around him and continues to foul the environment, disregarding the health and well-being of his fellow sailors and the townsfolk of the area. I also have the impression that he is not a sailor and that he has never sailed his liveaboard anywhere but I may be wrong. I am sure there are people here who will correct me if I have the wrong impression but I have gleaned this from reading about this issue with his filthy lifestyle.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:48   #89
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
From the sounds of it if he wasn't on his boat he would be under a bridge. if there was space locally .

Likely that would be more socially acceptable - if only for meeting the "out of sight - out of mind" requirement.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:30   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
If you choose to leave local governance to your neighbors you have no right to bitch and moan.
Well put. I am amazed at the huge percentage of people who get all worked up over the presidential elections, but haven't got the faintest clue about the people who are running in their local mayoral, city council, or county commission races.

Your town's mayor has FAR more influence over your day-to-day life than the president can ever hope to have. These are the races, and the politics, that you should REALLY be concerned with!
Closed Thread