Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 06:10   #16
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: The controversy over "Captain Jay" continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
I don't know who "Captain Jay" is but I have the distinct impression he deserves to be castigated for what is said he has been doing. I do have a concern and this is conveyed in the response I posted on Gulfport patch:
Gulfport's Photo of the Week: "Freeloaders" Statement - Gulfport, FL Patch
'

The friction isn't really between the town and cruisers who come to visit, or boaters who use the marinas. The friction is between some people in the town (and to some extent the town government) and people permanently anchored out as live-aboards. There is a vocal group within town that think Jay is just a very extreme example of what most people living anchored out are doing. So to answer Zee's question, Jay has been a flashpoint, but the issue goes well beyond him. Jay isn't the issue. Having live-aboards off the town's shore is the issue.

Having those boats inspected for how they handle human waste could end the whole thing, because that's the real issue. But even that is complicated, because there are a group of sailors who will do just about anything -- and not necessarily just when "out to sea" -- to avoid using their holding tank, because no one wants a holding tank problem. I've been told this by a number of sailors who admit that this is what they do. It may be that the people who are so upset about the live-aboards have seen the evidence floating by.
__________________

__________________
Rakuflames is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 10:11   #17
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: The controversy over "Captain Jay" continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
'

The friction isn't really between the town and cruisers who come to visit, or boaters who use the marinas. The friction is between some people in the town (and to some extent the town government) and people permanently anchored out as live-aboards. There is a vocal group within town that think Jay is just a very extreme example of what most people living anchored out are doing. So to answer Zee's question, Jay has been a flashpoint, but the issue goes well beyond him. Jay isn't the issue. Having live-aboards off the town's shore is the issue.

Having those boats inspected for how they handle human waste could end the whole thing, because that's the real issue. But even that is complicated, because there are a group of sailors who will do just about anything -- and not necessarily just when "out to sea" -- to avoid using their holding tank, because no one wants a holding tank problem. I've been told this by a number of sailors who admit that this is what they do. It may be that the people who are so upset about the live-aboards have seen the evidence floating by.
It appears that there is a legitimate complaint against this person and perhaps one or two more. It will take "getting the interest" of the police or Coast Guard (whoever has jurisdiction), to stop him/them from fouling.

I wish the town well but I do ask that the rest of the responsible yachtsmen and women are not tarred with the same brush with controversial sweeping statements on signs that create the impression or imply that we are all a bunch of "freeloaders".

Please keep it specific to the one or two, or however many it is that are being anti-social. This helps to keep focused on the people causing the problem rather than dragging in others, who would otherwise be an asset as visitors anchored out for a while to enjoy the town and area. These sort of pics that are posted in this fashion, simply serve to rile otherwise sympathetic yachtsmen and women.
__________________

__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 10:22   #18
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: The controversy over "Captain Jay" continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
It appears that there is a legitimate complaint against this person and perhaps one or two more. It will take "getting the interest" of the police or Coast Guard (whoever has jurisdiction), to stop him/them from fouling.

I wish the town well but I do ask that the rest of the responsible yachtsmen and women are not tarred with the same brush with controversial sweeping statements on signs that create the impression or imply that we are all a bunch of "freeloaders".

Please keep it specific to the one or two, or however many it is that are being anti-social. This helps to keep focused on the people causing the problem rather than dragging in others, who would otherwise be an asset as visitors anchored out for a while to enjoy the town and area. These sort of pics that are posted in this fashion, simply serve to rile otherwise sympathetic yachtsmen and women.

I think the sign was photoshoppped.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 10:32   #19
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: The controversy over "Captain Jay" continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I think the sign was photoshoppped.
I thought so too ... be that as it may, it is still an ill thought out picture posting imo.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 10:34   #20
Registered User
 
captainKJ's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 3rd wave passed the sea wall
Boat: private yacht always moving
Posts: 1,388
Re: The controversy over "Captain Jay" continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I think the sign was photoshoppped.
YA THINK???
__________________
captainKJ is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 10:35   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,334
Re: The controversy over "Captain Jay" continues

Seems like one of the best solutions to the derelict boat problem is requiring that the boat be moved a certain distance at least every 90 days. I hate any anchoring regulations, but these people are going to continue to spoil it for all the rest of us....
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 10:44   #22
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: The controversy over "Captain Jay" continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Seems like one of the best solutions to the derelict boat problem is requiring that the boat be moved a certain distance at least every 90 days. I hate any anchoring regulations, but these people are going to continue to spoil it for all the rest of us....

Well, that's the problem here. In Florida you're only a "liveaboard" if you never move your boat, so there are real advantages to doing that. But Gulfport is a small town, and for them the whole beached boat thing was a big event, and the people opposed to liveaboards had their heels dug in before "Jay" ever happened.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 11:07   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montegut LA.
Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Posts: 3,421
Re: The controversy over "Captain Jay" continues

Ever since they made the Coastys part of Homeland Sec. They Just don't have the time to do the things they used to do!! And if your city don't have a proper Water police crew you are gonna have Problem ! My understanding is that Capt Jay is no longer part of your Problem ! Connie and I have been to your fair city in years past and stayed for a couple of weeks ! But we have a approved sanitation system aboard any boat we own ! Maybe yall can pass a simple rule that if ya don't have some device like that ya must have a pump out slip from somewhere ! and let a police man or men ck these so called derilict boats to see if they are complying with your rules ! Seems simple to me !! why don't some of you folks that do so much complaning, get you butts in gear and try to find an answer to this problem instead of just bitchin on a site like this that will never cure your problem ?? Just wondering ! we only anchor when we travel cus we don't like the prices to stay in marinas!
__________________
Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 11:32   #24
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: The controversy over "Captain Jay" continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Ever since they made the Coastys part of Homeland Sec. They Just don't have the time to do the things they used to do!! And if your city don't have a proper Water police crew you are gonna have Problem ! My understanding is that Capt Jay is no longer part of your Problem ! Connie and I have been to your fair city in years past and stayed for a couple of weeks ! But we have a approved sanitation system aboard any boat we own ! Maybe yall can pass a simple rule that if ya don't have some device like that ya must have a pump out slip from somewhere ! and let a police man or men ck these so called derilict boats to see if they are complying with your rules ! Seems simple to me !! why don't some of you folks that do so much complaning, get you butts in gear and try to find an answer to this problem instead of just bitchin on a site like this that will never cure your problem ?? Just wondering ! we only anchor when we travel cus we don't like the prices to stay in marinas!

Gulfport has a water police boat.

At least 95% of the time it is out of the water. People have called for help only to be told that not only is the boat out of water, but there's no one on duty who can operate it.

I don't know what the problem is with enforcing the laws already on the books. These boats don't have anchor lights -- often they're not even hanging a cheap garden solar light. Demasted boats that are nothing but floating bird sanctuaries. Lovely to be downwind of one of those ...

I can see all sorts of reasons for anchoring instead of staying in a marina when traveling, and I can see why someone would want to live on the hook instead of in a marina. On land, you can get a citation for not cutting your grass.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 11:41   #25
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: The controversy over "Captain Jay" continues

The place is "anchoring unfriendly" for the same reason that any major municipality is: deadbeat losers with junker boats skimming off society. The suck resources and contribute nothing but their sewage and trash.
__________________
rebel heart is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 11:56   #26
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: The controversy over "Captain Jay" continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
The place is "anchoring unfriendly" for the same reason that any major municipality is: deadbeat losers with junker boats skimming off society. The suck resources and contribute nothing but their sewage and trash.

What kind of boat would be acceptable to you at anchorage, say within view of your house, and what should the minimum income of the person living aboard?
__________________
Rakuflames is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 12:04   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montegut LA.
Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Posts: 3,421
Re: The controversy over "Captain Jay" continues

Raku, your still complaineing, and doing nothing !! I don't know is no answer! if all this bothers you so much why don't ya find out WHY the rules in place are not being inforced ? Personal involvement is the only answer to your problem ! not posting the same stuff on a foram like this !! Ive seen your posts on this subject for a couple of months now !and your still wondering WHY, just a thought, maybe you should find out WHY and then tell us why and maybe someone smart can help ya !! Ya think ??
__________________
Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 12:04   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ontario canada
Boat: grampian 26
Posts: 1,743
Re: The controversy over "Captain Jay" continues

With regards to boats on the hook and waste disposal I smell a business opportunity (no pun intended). When I worked for a local marina we did mobile pumpouts using a pontoon boat and portable pumpout unit. The city could require those on long term anchorage to sign a prepaid contract to have their tanks pumped on a regular schedule and be issued a receipt at the time of pumpout as proof of compliance. This would save the hassle of moving the boat dockside to pump out.
This system is in place for cottages and houses in this area that have no septic system or access to the municipal sewer system and prevents cheating, although there is the odd goof who still trys to beat the system but they are ultimately caught out and are fined accordingly.
__________________
perchance is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 14:42   #29
Registered User
 
micah719's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere in Germany
Boat: OEM, proportional
Posts: 1,436
Re: The controversy over "Captain Jay" continues

How about "Capt" Jay is informed of how to build and run a composting potty? It needn't be a flash commercial job, and with his cruising itinerary doesn't need to be very complicated. Mind you, it could turn out that once that gets done, something else crops up.

At least it isn't happening here in Teutonia. Over here, the local curtain-twitcher brigade and NIMBY patrol would have assessed Jay's eligibility for the priviledge of existing in utopia as nil, and had him removed. No, not the old way with the trains and stripy pyjamas and stuff, just shoved off somewhere out of sight where three dozen social workers and a pill-pusher could claim income and benefits for looking after him. A kind of win-win in someone's book, I guess.

I wonder if Jay was cute, as a newborn baby? They all are, of course. What changes, to make fellow humans somehow worth less than a pet dog, or cared for less? Hmmmm....
__________________
Ps 139:9-10 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
micah719 is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 14:46   #30
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: The controversy over "Captain Jay" continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
What kind of boat would be acceptable to you at anchorage, say within view of your house, and what should the minimum income of the person living aboard?
How about someone who:

- maintains their vessel to a basic level of seaworthiness. ground tackle capable of supporting the yearly weather patterns and propulsion (of whatever variety) capable of moving the vessel around.

- complies with discharge rules 99% of the time concerning sewage, trash, and oil.

- an additional bonus, and I'm talking a bonus here, would be someone who contributes a net positive in terms of fiscal impact.
__________________

__________________
rebel heart is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:08.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.