Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 16-10-2012, 16:48   #196
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: The controversy over "Captain Jay" continues

Yeah, well I would have to upgrade my stupid phone ta use it, but maybe I'll get Himself to add it to his super smart phone so that at least when he is with me we can find one...

I do pretty good in my local habitats... I have been scouting and mentally mapping restrooms my whole life ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 16-10-2012, 16:49   #197

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Yes Urea is a great fertilizer. The problem its a bit too er strong a fertializer and can burn plants if not diluted. Solid stuff is a good fertilizer. Why the grass is always greener around the cow patties.

The minimum Fixture requirements for buildings (in the US) is set in the plumbing codes. Trick is most architects don't have that code. I've had discussions with architects about minimum fixtures. The issue is cost and why put more in if not required. A few buildings get more, but not that many still.

OH the codes are better now in newer building, then they use to be. But still a bit shy on the women's side. How odd that the codes are written by men...

Ok must focus on controlling my thread drift...

Old 16-10-2012, 18:17   #198
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

The discussion about derelict boats is topical and useful and a real problem for many boating communities. That's why I sort of keep reading the "Jay" threads.

However...

- I understand Jay no longer has a boat and may no longer be in Gulfport - His name is a red herring and useless to further discussion about derelict boats
- The opener of this thread was about a newspaper posting that was very marginally related to boating
- The city dumping effluent arguments, the homeless arguments, the public toilet discussion, the politics - all seem unrelated to boating to me

Like the other "Jay" threads this one meanders all over the social/political spectrum.

Just wish the topic could remain boating and derelict boating focused.

In that spirit, most harbors have rules and regulations about boats and living aboard and what is and is not a derelict boat. Gulfport has a set of rules - they aren't enforced for fiscal/government reasons.

The concern of the "non-derelict" boaters is that over time anchoring and mooring will become more restricted as the bad press of bad boater habits close out mooring options.

I don't think it is a rules problem - it is clearly an enforcement problem. No one needs to name boaters by name to discuss this issue.
Old 16-10-2012, 18:52   #199

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
SNIP
one has to remember this kerfuffle is in self-yclept FloriDUH. Where today the papers bemoaned how 25% of all Florida drivers have no insurance, amny have cleverly forged insurance IDs, and how terribly difficult it is to do anything about that. Apparently the databases, 3d-bar-code scanners, and other solutions that other states use, don't work so far away from the American Mainland.
SNIP
It should be noted that while the 25% number for all Florida drivers is probably close to being true that does not mean a random check of drivers on I-10 going from Jacksonville to Tallahassee would turn up 25% of the drivers lacking insurance. There have some claims that 2/3 of the drivers in Miami-Dade county lack insurance. Miami-Dade county is unique in America in that the largest item in the budget is Miami Jackson Hospital (every other county has the public school system as the largest budget item). Conventional wisdom is this is because Jackson Hospital is the health care provider of last resort for the entire Caribbean Basin and it is common for non citizens to fly to Miami, take a cab to the hospital, and be treated on the tax payers dime. Not to mention there are translators for 93 different languages on duty at Jackson 24/7.

This is why peeps peeing off the stern of a boat anchored in Florida waters is not considered that big a deal.
Old 24-10-2012, 11:29   #200

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
And don't even get me started on the ratio of mens' to womens' where it is divided up that way...
Are you including trees in that ratio too?
Old 24-10-2012, 11:30   #201

In China, you do NOT want to use the public restrooms until after a long period of acclimatising to the locale...

And small kids up to 2 or 3 just use the street...
Old 24-10-2012, 11:32   #202

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi303 View Post
In China, you do NOT want to use the public restrooms until after a long period of acclimatising to the locale...

And small kids up to 2 or 3 just use the street...
Or the seats in public transportation vehicles.
Old 24-10-2012, 11:46   #203

Boat: OEM, proportional

What a world....too many bums, not enough buckets.
Old 24-10-2012, 11:49   #204

Since China is one of our biggest creditors I suggest worrying about what happens here instead.
Old 24-10-2012, 11:56   #205

Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
In the USA, the homeless generally are not assisted to re-integrate into society at all. It would be nice if that was the case. If they are very lucky, they will find a cot and a meal at a homeless shelter run by a church. Most of the homeless in the US live on the streets, or under highway overpasses, etc.

BTW there are no public toilets here in the US. So the homeless on the streets have few options for...er... "waste management".

IF there were resources for the homeless here in the US like in the EU or UK, I would be right there with you. Get them into a shelter and get them back in society. Other then maybe food stamps (money for basic food) and very basic medical care, the US government does not in any way support homeless people.

Food stamps BTW, probably are not an option for the homeless as people on food stamps are required to mail in a form every so often. Hard to get the form in the mail without a mail box. So while its possible for the homeless to receive food stamps, many have a hard time meeting the requirements.
I am sure there must be church organisations or other private ngo's that are there that can help?
Old 24-10-2012, 12:09   #206

Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

[QUOTE=Ex-Calif;1060676]The discussion about derelict boats is topical and useful and a real problem for many boating communities. That's why I sort of keep reading the "Jay" threads.

However...

- I understand Jay no longer has a boat and may no longer be in Gulfport - His name is a red herring and useless to further discussion about derelict boats

Ah, it would be nice to know that the "Captain Jay" specific problem has gone away. No need for me to follow this "specific thread" then. I agree, no matter how we live in society, we have a responsibility to consider others and that is relevant regardless of how poor or rich we find ourselves.
Old 24-10-2012, 12:10   #207

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
I am sure there must be church organisations or other private ngo's that are there that can help?
There are many around in most cities and towns. The resources available meet maybe 10 to 20 percent of the needs of the homeless.
Old 24-10-2012, 12:16   #208
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"I am sure there must be church organisations or other private ngo's that are there that can help? "
Where's that ivory tower located? Seriously, read the newspapers some time. There are very limited private resources to aid the homeless and they've all remarked about how the bad economy has hit them as well, many food banks have empty shelves.
And assuming there were resources, someone has to want to be in the program. There are many reasons that homeless people don't always want the programs that are offered to them. Sometimes it is a mental problem or being off meds. Sometimes it is simply pride, or not wanting to have their shoes stolen in the dorm while they sleep.
How our society takes care of those who cannot care for themselves, has been a long and public issue. It is really hard to see how anyone can be unaware of it.

WRT to needing a mailing address? In the EU it would be called "poste restant" as I recall. In the US, you can have your mail held for up to 30 days at any main post office (and some postal stations) by having it addressed "c/o General Delivery". The main PO in NYC has so much mail coming to the homeless that way that they have one special window open, to serve General Delivery only.
Old 25-10-2012, 02:33   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
Or the seats in public transportation vehicles.
Thankfully I've only met them pissing on the floor of the subway and busses, not the seats.
Old 25-10-2012, 03:58   #210
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I don't suppose we can get back on topic...... can we?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: