Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 04:04   #16

Re: Tethered Transition from Cockpit to Sidedecks . . .

We use 2 flat (stored in a CP locker) installed from fwd cleat to stern cleat with 1 short and one long tether strap. We clip onto the binnacle in CP when on solo watch.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:37   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Why does everyone insist on walking up the windward side when going forward....
If one use's the Lee side... one leans inwards towards the hand holds... steps are one braced by toe rail
Ah, you are assuming they have toe rails...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:54   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tethered Transition from Cockpit to Sidedecks . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Ah, you are assuming they have toe rails...
Aint had a boat without yet... but they can always stretch their legs....
Jeez.... I'm talking cruisers not dinghy's with lids... which is what I've got...
Well step back in amazement....
its got a moulded toe rail...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:03   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Re: Tethered transition from cockpit to sidedecks........

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Why does everyone insist on walking up the windward side when going forward....
If one use's the Lee side... one leans inwards towards the hand holds... steps are one braced by toe rail, next by stanchion etc... and if you slip by some remote chance you fall the right way for quick response... not on your ass...
No wonder you guys need life lines...
you gotta bend below natural balance for hand holds... your bodies are leaning outboard... a smack on the side and you can get bounced downhill...
Very safe...
Because if you fall you fall inside the boat not outside and because I was taught by great sailors, racing ones, that it was the safest way
But I don't care if anybody else goes the leeway... each one is free to do it as he pleases..
Old 10-11-2011, 06:05   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

We do not do it this way as I think the moment one leaves and returns to the cockpit is the most tricky one.

We tie the lines on the aft cleats and run them to the mast where they cross over and continue to the bow.

We clip in while still seated, then go fore. At the mast we have to re-clip but this is OK as we hardly ever venture fore. Also, we use twin clips so re-cliping not an issue plus we have an extra clipping point when on station.

We never unclip before the other clip is clipped in.

Except when going down below ;-) though at times some of us end up hanging on their leash, down there at the foot of the companion way.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Probably obvious to everyone else, but just dawned on me

I am not a fan of the underfoot jacklines along the sidedecks, especially that the "give" in the lines often extends overboard . but main advantage is they extend back to the cockpit

My idea is that the jacklines (or a single line?) be run to the mast along the cabin deck (roof!) and ending outside the dodger / spray hood.......leaving the challenge of how to transition from cockpit to deck whilst always being clipped on.........as dual tethers on a harness are not new (one longer & one shorter), the answer seems to be - clip on in the cockpit (with the long tether) and when on the sidedeck clip on (to the Jackline) with the shorter tether, and then (this is the bit which has only just dawned on me ) unclip the longer tether from your harness. (and clip it back on during your return trip).
Why not install two more padeyes in the cockpit that you could access once you've tethered to sidedeck jackline? That would make your transition to sidedecks easier and you'll get to keep double tether on the harness.

We prefer to have double tether at all times - usually one (long) control and one (short) close to what you're doing on deck. Also allows you to move locations while always tethered with at least one line (always attached to the boat). We've installed padeyes (double drilled) throughout the boat to make sure all areas can be accessed easily.

One thing we ran into was: watch out for strength rating of padeyes. If they don't have one, they might fail at the most important moment: "DOJ is overboard, DOJ is on... overboard". We've used Wichard and, while expensive, are very happy with them. As my other half said "one time not flying through the railing into cold water at night, pays for the padeyes".
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:23   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tethered transition from cockpit to sidedecks........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Because if you fall you fall inside the boat not outside and because I was taught by great sailors, racing ones, that it was the safest way
But I don't care if anybody else goes the leeway... each one is free to do it as he pleases..
I often wonder if its a sub conscious psychological thing...
The further from the water the safer you are...
Its something I've seen in the cockpit as well... I love the lee side... everyone else seems to prefer to perch to windward...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:40   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Re: Tethered transition from cockpit to sidedecks........

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I often wonder if its a sub conscious psychological thing...
The further from the water the safer you are...
Its something I've seen in the cockpit as well... I love the lee side... everyone else seems to prefer to perch to windward...
When heeling its more a question of repartition of weight, don't you think so?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:56   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tethered transition from cockpit to sidedecks........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
When heeling its more a question of repartition of weight, don't you think so?
If my heel is such that sitting or walking the lee side affects the stability.... then.... I'm a crap sailor who's seriously over canvassed...

Old 10-11-2011, 07:49   #25

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
The problem I have with that approach is the padeyes on the side of the coachhouse, I appreciate can get folding - but they won't always .....and I have enough stuff to hurt myself on as it is
Well, you could have separated jacklines: one either side of the cockpit that overlaps (for the purpose of remaining tethered) another on the midline of the boat to the mast and a second midline one from the mast forward to the bow.

As long as you keep one arm of the tether "always clipped", it doesn't matter much how you devise it, and the centerline idea has some merit over the sidedeck bow to stern set-up.

As I have breaks in my deck and a pilothouse, I'm going to have to consider this at some point myself.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:15   #26

Okay, call me a radical risk-taker, but I don't feel the need for double tethers, nor do I feel that it is particularly dangerous to be unclipped for a fraction of a second while one is moving around. If I have to unclip when outside the cockpit I take a good look around me (to be sure a huge wave isn't about to crash down), get a solid grip on something, figure out where I'm going to move the clip to, and then do it. I don't think it has ever taken me more than a second to move the clip in this way.

Yes, this exposes me to some degree of risk for that fraction of a second. In exchange I reduce the clutter, simplify the location of jacklines, and simplify the process of moving around on deck. I consider it an acceptable trade-off.

Surely I'm not the only one who does this, am I? Maybe just the only one who will admit it?
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:20   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tethered Transition from Cockpit to Sidedecks . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Okay, call me a radical risk-taker, but I don't feel the need for double tethers, nor do I feel that it is particularly dangerous to be unclipped for a fraction of a second while one is moving around. If I have to unclip when outside the cockpit I take a good look around me (to be sure a huge wave isn't about to crash down), get a solid grip on something, figure out where I'm going to move the clip to, and then do it. I don't think it has ever taken me more than a second to move the clip in this way.

Yes, this exposes me to some degree of risk for that fraction of a second. In exchange I reduce the clutter, simplify the location of jacklines, and simplify the process of moving around on deck. I consider it an acceptable trade-off.

Surely I'm not the only one who does this, am I? Maybe just the only one who will admit it?
Mate.... there's those among us who happily admit to using nothing at all...
so I very much doubt your habit cause's embarrassment to other 'Abusers of 'Protocol'...

Old 11-11-2011, 07:54   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I have a jack line tied to the top of the mast and when I want to go forward I grab a hold and swing like Errol Flynn to the bow and then back to the CP..works like a charm...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:59   #29
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I have a jack line tied to the top of the mast and when I want to go forward I grab a hold and swing like Errol Flynn to the bow and then back to the CP..works like a charm...
With the bonus that you can be tracked on the Radar
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:05   #30
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post

Radical Risk Taker

That probably will be my Plan B (until I implement a Plan A).

Am simply after ideas for those (hopefully rare!) circumstances where I really don't want to be on deck (nor on the boat itself?! ).......the usual MO will no doubt continue to be SFA
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Jacklines, cockpit