Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 17:23   #16

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC
Re: swollen ankles

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Have you considered consulting a medical professional as opposed to seeking medical advice on a sailing forum?
Ditto

Johnny
Johnny Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 18:40   #17

Boat: Catalina 310

Out of curiosity, did you just fly into someplace hot or humid?

When we did our charter in the BVIs in November, all of our ankles swelled up due to the change in humidity. We couldn't wear shoes other than flip flops for most of the trip. We returned home and our ankles went back to normal.
JK n Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 18:52   #18

Boat: Looking for a cruiser.. any leads?

You might find this link useful. Can Hypothyroidism Cause Swollen Ankles - Life123 Maybe see a doctor and have your thyroid/iodine levels checked.
sailingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 20:15   #19

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Conie as An RN say's see a doctor, Me the old man ask's do you sit in your cockpit much when ya sail? if you do ck your seat and your seating position ! I had this happrn when we sold our Colvin and went to Power boat for a coupe of years
Old 08-04-2013, 21:03   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post

When we did our charter in the BVIs in November, all of our ankles swelled up due to the change in humidity. We couldn't wear shoes other than flip flops for most of the trip. We returned home and our ankles went back to normal.
Ditto!
When I go to the Philippines and sit around too much both my wife and my feet swell up. But it goes away once we get out and walk around.

Doctors, I don't trust much. They've done me more harm then good. It's all about the money!

Google swollen ankles. There are many reasons and the doc's will guess just as you would.
Old 08-04-2013, 22:52   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Google swollen ankles. There are many reasons and the doc's will guess just as you would.
The doctors should do blood tests, and examine you try to determine the cause of the edema. This is something you just can't do on your own. It may just be edema and nothing more, but as many of us have been pointing out edema can be a symptom of a serious condition -- one that can kill you if not attended to.

Odds are that you will survive without treatment (most people do), but why not treat your own body at least as well as you treat your boat? If there's a problem, try to find the root cause and then deal with it as best you can.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 23:34   #22

Boat: 45ft Ketch

I never run off to a doctor until I've exhausted other options. Not fair making the Doc take a wild guess or spend health dollars on tests not needed.

Anyway CF rules! Much more interesting diagnosis.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:49   #23

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Johna, sounds like DVT to me, commonly found after long airplane flights, I had it!
Keith...
Old 09-04-2013, 03:37   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: swollen ankles

[QUOTE=delmarrey;1206146]Ditto!
When I go to the Philippines and sit around too much both my wife and my feet swell up.
QUOTE]

Now THAT would worry me... how big does she swell up to...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:13   #25

Boat: Moody 36 (1981)

As a UK Paramedic I can only reiterate the general consensus here SEE A DOCTOR.[/B]
Searanger50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:12   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

I have a new suggestion - stop sailing longer than 2 days

Or at least find out what you do different on day 3.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:13   #27

Hey, you are a man and us men are known for not seeking medical advise. I recommend elevating the feet drink plenty of liquids, preforably with alcohol, smoke ciggys or whatever floats your boat, eat lots of bacon and grilled cheese sangers. Dont listen to these Dills telling you to see a quack, what do they know they own boats. What does not kill you makes you stronger or at least that's what they say in the obituary's.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:21   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rodlmao......
my suggestions were made as a long term emergency and intensive care rn.
it is your choice to go to have a check up or not...i recommend one, for sure, then you know mebbe why you are swelling up, which is not a good thing, as edema is a symptom of something bigger. and there are more than one type of edema, and each means another thing--is a symptom.
pay attention to it, as it is warning you of something more to come.
you asked the question, we gave answers--some even accurate.
good luck with your check up--it is time.
happy sails.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:22   #29

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: swollen ankles

Kudos to the OP for not firing back about the doctor suggestions. Beer says he done that, and the docs are guessing like the rest of us. I guess there's a possibility OP doesn't have health insurance, ergo slow to have all kinds of expensive tests ... that may reveal nothing.

As I age, I keep researching these kinds of questions as I have heart issues and other issues like gout. I'm betting the barefoot workout OP's feet are now getting and all the constantly changing angles are the problem. Moreover, as I read stuff on "natural" news and blogs, I'm somewhat convinced that voodoo solutions are at least as good as medications that lower/elevate/placate/stall/forestall a condition for years without fixing anything.

Also, there was a book touted awhile back written by an old guy for old sailors. I bought it and wasn't nearly as impressed as others were, when I realized that the oldster's wife was doing all the sailing. A point he did make tho was that old people should be sailing with shoes to protect their feet. That kind of makes sense but we all know of billions of barefoot folks who do just fine. Relatively few are on a first world diet, however.

Del - - so sorry to hear of the wife swelling up like that in the Philippines. Maybe it's the water. Was there a hassle/extra charge to fly her back? Did she still fit in those small seats or have to ride in baggage? Damn, if it isn't one thing, it's something else.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:25   #30

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post

I got married in St. Lucia and my wife could barely get my ring on! Once acclimatized and back, it goes on and off just fine. I agree, it could be the climate.