Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 12:28   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I am impressed by the number of folks who have a low regard for doctors' abilities. I can see, and share, a dislike for the greed, and the dysfunctional system in the US, but for doctors' medical advice?
The lack of trust in doctors has actually saved my life. As someone with a active lifestyle in my mid 20s I kept having chest pains and had several doctors tell me I'm fine just too much stress bad diet etc. I finally got a cardiologist who was tired of my bugging him, ran a nuclear stress test and found a congenital obstruction and a leaking valve.

Had I not distrusted him and the other doctors and pushed for the tested it would have caused damage and decreased lifespan.

My issue isn't the greed its the arrogance and dismissive nature. The ones who will not spend ten minutes discussing your concerns with certain medications and the ones who go nuts when you ask about a different medication.

Same thing with my rheumatologist. He would only see patients for a couple times a week and wouldn't talk to you for more than a couple minutes. I got tired of his crap and learned how to read my blood work and have a good GP that works with me and allows me control over what drugs for my lupus I'm on.

If more people distrusted and questioned their doctors there would be less medical mistakes.
SeaBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:42   #47

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Swollen Ankles

Oh, here we go, on another guilt trip. Smooth sailing!

We have become a nation of hypocondriac's . Every time there is some little problem some people run off to a doctor and it usually turns out to be something the doctor can't do anything about except issue some experimental drug that may have side affects that is worse then the O/problem.

I've found exercise and green foods seems to be the best cures. It's fixing broken bones and holes in the body that doctors are good at. The rest is still mostly a mystery.
My parents and grand parents lived to their 80's w/o much help from doctors. Most of what the've done for me is try and put me on some drug program, which I refuse to be a ginny pig. And the story could go on forever, but I won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I am impressed by the number of folks who have a low regard for doctors' abilities. I can see, and share, a dislike for the greed, and the dysfunctional system in the US, but for doctors' medical advice? That attitude probably cost my father his life (due to a delayed diagnosis of cancer), so I am no fan. Of course we all need to take ownership for the care of our own bodies, and a few of the posters clearly understood their problems and the necessary response. But self-diagnosis of such a complaint seems pretty irresponsible to me. Most likely it is not life-threatening, but the point is that it can be so someone who knows the difference should have a look. For example, a man on the next dock recently had edema in his lower leg; it turns out he needed surgery to replace a long section of a blood vessel in the leg. I don't know what would have happened without treatment, but I suspect if it went far enough amputation would be the result (which is what did happen to my grandfather). I wonder if the distrust in doctors has something to do with the appalling health outcomes in the US? You think?

Don L - Move to Washington and you will be able to keep the boat in the water year 'round, sail a beautiful area, and get legal weed. Problem solved... Sorry! Weed is still a Federal crime and the USCG & DHS are Federal agents.

Greg
Old 12-04-2013, 13:37   #48

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I will not try to convince you to see a medical doctor, when you don't feel good. It is your life and you can do as much or as little with it. If you don't want to see a doctor, it is your prerogative. But this guy, with the swollen ankles, needs to see a doctor. At least, be kind enough and encourage him to seek medical advice. He has several medical issues that need to be addressed. I don't know him from Adam! If he was near Dallas, I'd have taken the time and drove him to a local ER for a check-up. That is what responsible sailors and neighbors do! <Board Certified - Pharmacy> Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 13:54   #49

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

SeaBuffalo- I think you made my point: your problem would never have been self-diagnosed; doctors were necessary for dealing with the problem. Necessary, but not sufficient. Going to a doctor should never mean abandoning responsibility for one's health or suspension of skepticism. It is absolutely necessary to be one's own best advocate, and that means questioning everything a doctor says. But lack of trust to the extent of not going to a doctor at all is self-defeating.

delmarrey - I don't just think, I know. I am not a big fan of anecdotal evidence, but lacking statistics I will fall back on my own experience. My father avoided doctors his whole life, and as a result let a fast-growing cancer get established. If he had gone in a few months earlier when it was first clear that there was a serious problem he probably would have lived a lot longer (yes, according to the doctors). I would be surprised if most of the readers of this thread haven't known of similar experiences.

Warning: drift

As for the weed comment, I was responding to another post that stated an interest in consuming pot legally, and was only half-serious. That said, the "war" on drugs has been a self-inflicted disaster for the US. We have comprehensively lost - if this were really a war, in the sense of between nations, we would have sued for peace long ago. Prohibition (of alcohol) is now seen pretty clearly as a complete failure, and in time the prohibition of drugs will be seen as the same, and for the same reasons. Which is not to endorse drugs (including alcohol) in any way. The social and financial costs to alcohol consumption are huge and certainly undesirable; if prohibition had really worked to stop alcohol consumption we would be a healthier and wealthier nation. But prohibition didn't, and doesn't, work. In fact, it increased alcohol consumption and may have had a similar effect with drugs (admittedly hard to prove). Legalization is a practical response to the situation, and not any sort of endorsement. But we need to deal with our real-world choices, then move along.

<end drift>

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 13:59   #50

Boat: 1972 Morgan 35
Johna,

Lots of well intentioned fellow sailors in the group giving advice. Here's some more.

Your symptoms can be caused by many things, lots of them have been mentioned here. More than likely its something easily corrected, or downright benign. Don't panic.

However, the things on the serious end ( Congestive Heart Failure and Deep Vein Thrombosis to name two) are VERY serious conditions that really need to be ruled out before you get any further into your voyage. The consequences of letting those go untreated are too severe. Go see a doctor.

I know you made sure your sails were in good shape, your engine was serviced, and the weather was fair for cruising... right?

Don't forget your own maintenance either.

Peace and fair winds!

Tim
nolandinsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 15:26   #51
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna View Post
For the life of me I can't stop the swelling on my ankles after the 3rd day afloat.
I think you might be pregnant.

Congratulations
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 16:08   #52

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

As a doctor, I would say think twice about seeing a doctor. You may well end up on medication you don't really need. If it only happens on the boat it is likely nothing serious, probably just due to less walking.

You didn't say where you are, but if you are in the tropics you might consider snorkling as a cure. The water pressure and excersize helps to move the fluid from your legs back into your bloodstream where it belongs. You may find you are urinating more as your kidneys get rid of the extra fluid. Treading water would work even better. Even dangling your legs in the water might help.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 20:06   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna View Post
Im a longtime sailor and am planning my retirement cruising the islands on my vessel. For the life of me I can't stop the swelling on my ankles after the 3rd day afloat. I'm 61. I know it's related to blood pressure, salt intake, lack of water, bare feet, etc. I'm looking for the right combination/cure to prevent this problem. Any thoughts?
A couple of thing.
1. You don't say where you are located?
2. You don't say where your sailing area is?
3. You don't say what type of vessel you have.
4. You don't say what your vessel is made of, glass, wood or other?

You do say you know what it is related too, so see a doctor and get it fixed.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 20:42   #54

You could be allergic to fiberglass.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 20:44   #55
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
As a doctor, I would say think twice about seeing a doctor. You may well end up on medication you don't really need. If it only happens on the boat it is likely nothing serious, probably just due to less walking.

You didn't say where you are, but if you are in the tropics you might consider snorkling as a cure. The water pressure and excersize helps to move the fluid from your legs back into your bloodstream where it belongs. You may find you are urinating more as your kidneys get rid of the extra fluid. Treading water would work even better. Even dangling your legs in the water might help.
And that from a doctor, sounds a whole lot better than the kidney and heart failures from other posts... from non-doctors IIRC

Would be a special medical condition to wait until the 3rd day at sea every time, followed by recovery every time
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 21:54   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I think you might be pregnant.

Congratulations
I would concur ... I bet he missed the period like forever ...
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 01:19   #57
Armchair Bucketeer

I do appreciate all the dire warnings of doom (I learnt last year that a lot of weight loss can be a sign of impending death - and if I had not (finally ) visited the quacks I would be dead by now )........but notwithstanding that, I can't say I would bother with a Doctor in OP's circumstances given that the swollen ankles only appear after 3 days on a boat seems pretty clear that they are a boat related thing (of course could be a sign of just about anything - but likely not) and that the answer (cure?) involves addressing the changes from life ashore to life afloat that are causing the problem..........likely through a process of elimination and trial and error. and possibly leeches .

My first avenue to explore would be a lack of excercise (compared to ashore) and a change in diet, including water / salt intake......easy enough to adjust those to see whether they make any difference......and if not then a trip to the Doctors. or the purchase of own leeches .

Of course on some things I am a slow learn........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 04:12   #58

Boat: O'Day 28

I dunno know about dangling one's feet over the side. That could cause a rapid weight loss. Perhaps sailing in an inverted yoga posture would help.

I think the OP is having a little fun. Nobody messes around with blood pressure. That, or he's a compleat idiot, in which case he'll fit right in.

Hey Mike, I have this little pain in my chest and arm. It comes and goes. Whadya think it is?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 04:23   #59

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hello Crabby! You need Sears/Craftsman replacement parts for the chest and arm; they are guaranteed for life! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 04:27   #60
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I have this little pain in my chest and arm. It comes and goes. Whadya think it is?

I think that isn't a joke that you are going to enjoy