Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2017, 17:49   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Swimming With Caution

Where are places in the world you would advise people not to swim or swim with extreme caution?

I found some lists online, but like to know any personal accounts... the. I can check against what's online.
https://m.earthtripper.com/15-most-d...es-swim-planet

I'm used to Hawaiian waters and feel that at anytime I can jump in the water and swim freely and safely, I also felt similar about French Polynesia. I have also spent some time in Florida on the bays, and would at least look around before jumping in because the waters are often murky and they have crocs. Similar with going north on the ICW, less crocs but murky water...

I'm pretty sure the amazon would make this list, I don't think you could pay me to leisurely swim in that water. And for some reason I think there would be some places around Australia that might not be a good idea, they list Queensland as a whole can anyone advise on that, I'm planning to cruise there this August, to Darwin.

theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 18:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Swimming With Caution

I would think statistically it would be more dangerous in areas with sewage problems rather than marine life.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 18:49   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

NEVER EVER swim in a Marina!!! high possibility of electrocution!! among other dangers!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 18:58   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Marinas aren't so great but there are divers in there everyday scrubbing bottoms.
Perhaps these days the coast of Southern Cal ain't so optimal, we keep getting photos of juvenile Great Whites cruising just off the mainland beaches. But statistically swimming IN kelp beds is the safest, or at least that's what they told me in my SCUBA classes eons ago in Monterey.
And actually, the Rio Negro at least, which joins the Solimoes to make the Amazon, was actually ok to swim in, and drink. I saw kids in there all the time. Something about that dark acidic water that discourages piranha I heard and sadly (but good for swimming) most of the big reptiles have been hunted out. But what was the most fearsome to locals was shallow puddles for electric eels.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 19:01   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

South jetty of Ponce Inlet, Smyrna Beach, Florida. Good waves for surfing but small sharks like to nip on the surfers feet and legs. Heard they taste like chicken.
This year lots of juvenile Great White sharks off Orange County beaches in So. Cal.
Supposed to be a nursery area for young sharks. They feed on stingrays till they're old enough to take sea lions and surfers.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 19:39   #6

Two places that instantly came to mind......Back bays of most Mid/Northern Chesapeake and Cane Garden Bay in the BVI...Or really any populated bay area on Tortola.
PatMc57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 20:00   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
NEVER EVER swim in a Marina!!! high possibility of electrocution!! among other dangers!
Not in seawater. Google it. The conductivity is too great. If anyone has information regarding ELSD in a seawater marina, I would very much like to see the information. But I am fairly certain 100% of the accounts have been in freshwater.

There are other reasons, of course.
Old 29-06-2017, 20:06   #8

Swimming With Caution

Any word on the salt water crocs in the Queensland area? Form my experience crocodiles (and alligators) are the only thing in the water that really don't discriminate about food source and aren't timid or skittish. Sharks will usually scare of if they see you're not food or you startle them, but I don't think I've ever seen a startled crocodile!
Old 29-06-2017, 20:13   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Australia. irukandji jellyfish.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:36   #10

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 382

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8533.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	151094

But seriously, you'd have to be pretty unlucky to get taken by a shark or a crocodile unless you do things like swim in areas they are extremely active, ignore Crocwise and sharkwise safe behaviour and swim at dusk or dawn all of which can increase your risk.

That's not to say it doesn't happen, sadly so, we are after all in their environment and they are pinnacle predators. Respect for these beautiful yet potentially lethal creatures is key and a knowledge of the local conditions and environment.

This information might be useful- my advice is talk to the locals.

https://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/wildlife/...croc_wise.html
greybeardloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:38   #11

Boat: Island Packet 349

Lake Erie.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:44   #12

Near seal rookeries.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:00   #13

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We did the route from Brisbane to Darwin several years ago and saw crocs a number of times. We did not feel safe swimming there since it is the ones you don't see that are the problem. Add to that, the jellyfish and even the odd shark and it seemed to us, not a good spot. Some of the larger towns in northern Queensland have built artificial lagoons to separate the people from the non-people.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeardloon View Post

But seriously, you'd have to be pretty unlucky to get taken by a shark or a crocodile unless you do things like swim in areas they are extremely active, ignore Crocwise and sharkwise safe behaviour and swim at dusk or dawn all of which can increase your risk.

Yeah, I guess another thing is that bigger sharks usually want deeper water, crocs don't seem to mind.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
We did the route from Brisbane to Darwin several years ago and saw crocs a number of times. We did not feel safe swimming there since it is the ones you don't see that are the problem. Add to that, the jellyfish and even the odd shark and it seemed to us, not a good spot. Some of the larger towns in northern Queensland have built artificial lagoons to separate the people from the non-people.

An Australian croc heat map would be nice... I'll see if I can track one down.