Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-06-2008, 18:33   #46

Costco may have discontinued the sunglasses I've been recommending.

Went to my local Costco today (Brooklyn, NY) and did not see any on display except for a few pairs mixed in with other brands. I was told they may not have any more coming in and was shown three pairs from a locked cabinet. Bought another pair of the black wraparounds that I have been very happy with.

If anyone is considering buying a pair of these, Id suggest getting to your nearest Costco ASAP. I may actually get a third pair if I can find them... that's how much I like them.

Old 28-08-2009, 20:44   #47

Boat: 28' Telstar Trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by onremlop View Post
My thoughts on sunglasses: After years of wearing cheap sunglasses,I finally broke down and bought some serious sunglasses - Serengetis and boy, what a difference they made! Problem is they got scratched immediately due to my negligence. They are really great shades compared to cheap ones, but I could have purchases about 20 pairs of decent cheap ones at Wal-Mart for the price of the Serengetis. One of my sailing buddies was really proud of his Maui Jims and then lost them. My neighbor's kid has a really nice pair of Oakleys that are about $200. I asked where she got them and said, "Dad found them on the side of the road."

Expensive sunglasses are much better as long as you take care of them. I'm no opthamologist, but I would think that the expensive ones are better for your eyes than cheap ones. If you are like me, go for decent cheap ones, or find a nice pair on the side of the road.

There are 2 ways sunglasses die - you sit on them or lose them.
While attempting to keep a boat from bumping into mine, I ended up taking a swim with my expensive sunglasses. They now sleep with the fishes and now am resorting to endless cheap and scratched sunglasses.

Old 28-08-2009, 22:26   #48

If you need prescription sunglasses, check out 39dollarglasses.com. Regular prescription glasses are $39, but sunglasses are a little more.

I just bought a spare pair of glasses and two pairs of sunglasses from them.

*I don't work for them or anything, just a happy customer.
Old 29-08-2009, 06:49   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
For me

For me the only two products I can wear are Maui Jim and Costa Del Mar with only GLASS lenses. With my 20/10 vision I unfortunately can not wear polycarbonate as it gives me a splitting headache. If you have good distance vision you'll want to look at a quality polarized glass lens and not a polycarbonate.

That being said the best polycarb lenses I have found are surprisingly, Oakley. I can wear them for about 7-8 hours before developing a headache. Glass lenses = less distortion of course this is generally only true with higher quality glasses. I can not wear the Maui Jim polycarb stuff so just because it says Maui Jim it does not mean it is the same clarity/distortion quality as their glass lenses..

P.S. My bad, after typing the above response I realized this was a two year old thread..Doh'
Old 29-08-2009, 08:02   #50

Boat: Gulfstar 40cc
After getting "red eyes" wearing expensive sunglasses while sailing I finally bought Polaroid sunglasses and it helped me a lot. So now and then in fall/winter I use to buy a couple of the "out of season/not that trendy anymore" models with a discount.
Btw I always have medical eyedrops on board just in case of and it brings relieve in a few minutes to me.
Old 29-08-2009, 08:15   #51

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
I used to get really bad headaches after a day of sailing. I bought a pair of Julbo Glacier glasses...WOW, what a difference! Campmor: Julbo
I have also tried a pair of Maui Jims, and folks I'm here to tell ya, there IS a difference between those cheap plastic bobos and a real honest to God glass lense...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 08:47   #52

Boat: s/v Giro Lagoon 380 S2 #409
Send a message via Skype™ to twowheel
I've stuck with my Oakleys for years. Had a pair of Vuarnets that wore out and that's when I made the switch. Best part is that the lenses are replaceable and if you get in good with an eye doc somewhere they can order them at cost (approx $40US) which works out to be about 1/2 of retail. Another thing is that they are somewhat buoyant, meaning that they more easily float with the neoprene neck strap thingy that I use. My Maui Jims were too heavy and sunk. I don't clean anything if it's still got saltwater on it though. Just use a touch of dish soap and fresh water with a good rinse and a clean lens towel and you're golden.

Don't use the cheap ones you find at most stores, they don't provide the UV protection that you need and in some cases can actually increase the damage done!!
Old 29-08-2009, 09:00   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 37
the admiral and myself both wear Costa del mar's http://www.costadelmar.com and are very satisfied. They have a lifetime guarantee for stuff breaking and have a pretty good customer service dept. They ain't cheap but their lenses and coatings are high quality
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 11:35   #54

Boat: Schock 35
I am using polarized, mirror coated, safety glasses purchased from Fisheries Supply. The safety glass feature means they wrap around the sides to keep glare from the side out.

There is a recent writeup in Practical Sailor on this, but all the glasses they tested were outside my budget.
Old 29-08-2009, 11:41   #55

Boat: Pearson 39 Yawl "ZigZag"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I wear a pair of Costa del Mar - amber polarized for better visibility in shallow water and green metallic coating for cutting down glare. I've gone the cheap route and find that I break/lose them more often than if I have a pair of good quality. Fit is important, mine leave very little space for light leakage around the edges.
I also am also sold on Costa del Mar. I have the 580 lens with the blue reflective coating. The Catalina frames also have side pieces to keep out the leakage. Not cheap but worth it IMHO.
Old 29-08-2009, 19:19   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Polaroids. Or other with polarised glass. I would not go for reflectives - when you take them off the difference in light intensity will make you blind for a long moment.

b.
Old 29-08-2009, 19:28   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Polaroids. Or other with polarised glass. I would not go for reflectives - when you take them off the difference in light intensity will make you blind for a long moment.

b.
I have never noticed that problem.
Old 29-08-2009, 21:51   #58
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"I would not go for reflectives - when you take them off the difference in light intensity will make you blind for a long moment."
Reflectives can be "fully" mirrored or lightly mirrored, the same way that sunglasses can be lightly tinted, or heavily.

My Bolle glacier glasses are heavily tinted, and yes the world changes for a few minutes when you take them off. But in seriously blinding light--they're the right way to go. I don't use them often, but I do choose sunglasses based on how bright it is outside. What works at 4 in the afternoon, is no good in blinding noon sun. At least not to me, but some folks have no night vision and don't notice if their rx is way off either.

They're usually the folks causing traffic jams on the highway when they can't figure out how to drive west at sunset, perhaps you've also been stuck behind them?
Old 30-08-2009, 08:12   #59

[QUOTE=hellosailor;325161
They're usually the folks causing traffic jams on the highway when they can't figure out how to drive west at sunset, perhaps you've also been stuck behind them?[/QUOTE]

I get stuck behind poor drivers with slow cars where what kind of lenses they use have little effect on their driving skills.
There are good reflectives and poor reflectives just as there are folks with eyes that adapt quickly to changing light and those who have eyes that don't. I also think that there are glasses that are designed to work better in different conditions so that shooting glasses, driving glasses, skiing glasses and sailing glasses are different. I have sailing glasses, driving glasses, and sitting by the pool looking at bikini glasses. Oh, and then there are my X-ray glasses.
Old 30-08-2009, 08:52   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
TodM, I recently purchased glasses from 39dollarglasses.com and was seriously disappointed with their service. The sunglasses were green tint, instead of the dark grey that I had ordered (and which were listed on the order), and the clear glasses were an absolutely different prescription from the one I provided (and which was listed, as well on the order). The frames were less robust than I have ever seen. When I attempted to contact them, I was subjected to some pretty frustrating non-responses. Finally, I was able to get them to send me a pre-paid mailer sticker to have them returned. It's been a couple weeks, now, and I'm still waiting. So, I checked out the Better Business Bureau rating (I should have done this first). This is not unusual behavior from this company, according to their customer ratings. This is merely a word of caution: Caveat emptor (Let the buyer beware).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: