Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: How often do you use sunblock?
Always - Part time cruiser 42 43.30%
Always - Full time cruiser 6 6.19%
Never - Part time cruiser 3 3.09%
Never - Full time cruiser 4 4.12%
Sometimes - Part time cruiser 26 26.80%
Sometimes - Full time cruiser 10 10.31%
What is sunblock? 6 6.19%
What is the sun? 1 1.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 08:57   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
... I was out on a day where the plan was an hour or so that went to half a day, though the middle of the day. It was one of those 15 min to burn days. I got a little red with only a mild, light, "warm" feeling that evening. I don't call that a burn. So I am a little skeptical sceptical ...
You aren’t so much sceptical, as misinformed. By definition, you had a first degree sunburn.

Sunburn can be classed in 3 degrees of seriousnes:

* First-degree sunburn: mild sunburn that reddens and inflames the skin
* Second-degree sunburn: more serious reddening of the skin and water blisters
* Third-degree sunburn causes lower cell damage and the release of fluid, resulting in eruptions and breaks in the skin where bacteria and infection can enter: requires medical attention; you should see your doctor if you experience blistering, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness or severe pain.

Sunstroke is characterized by high body temperature, usually above 105 F.; cessation of sweating; headache; numbness; tingling and confusion prior to sudden delirium or coma; fast pulse; rapid respiratory rate; usually elevated blood pressure. The basic defect is failure of the heat-regulating mechanisms of the body.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:37   #32

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You aren’t so much sceptical, as misinformed. By definition, you had a first degree sunburn.

Sunburn can be classed in 3 degrees of seriousnes:

OK, thanks Gord.

For the spelling too.

My point was I should have had that in 15min right?

4 hours +.

I remain skepitical.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:56   #33

Therapy, that just means you aren't as susceptible as some people. The graph is just a general reference, it's not perfect for everyone.
I burn quickly and thoroughly so I use pretty much ALL the possibilities for protection if I'm going to be out more than a few minutes. I still get a little bit of sun every week, we need Vitamin D and that's how we make it -- and there's some suggestion that too much (NOT all though) sunscreen may cause cancer by preventing that. The last 2nd degree burn, I had blisters oozing for more than a week, NOT fun. Lucky me, I also don't handle temperature extremes well, and get heatsick and hypothermic easily. Guess I need to stick to shady, 75 degree climates.
I am careful about what sunscreen I buy though - reading the ingredients. There are a lot of chemicals in some of them that are not particularly friendly, endocrine disruptors, potential toxins, etc. This is a product that is supposed to soak into your skin, so I try to pay attention to what is entering my system that way.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 13:00   #34

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariness View Post
Therapy, that just means you aren't as susceptible as some people. The graph is just a general reference, it's not perfect for everyone.
I burn quickly and thoroughly
I understand that but 15 min? Come on. I am a white guy. That is why I wonder what the baseline is, like I said. Will you get a burn like mine in 15 min of mid spring FL sun?

If so, I can't imagine ever being out on the water voluntarily.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 16:26   #35

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
15 minutes is enough in the tropical sun if you have not seen the sun in awhile. I got little red pock marks (looked like blood blisters) in 15 minutes while sunning on the signal bridge of a Destroyer when I was 18 in Pearl Harbor Hawaii.

Yes, even a short time can be bad for you if not prepared.

regards,
Old 19-07-2010, 11:41   #36

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post

There are still idiots visiting sun tan booths. Can you believe it?
Amazing, isn't it? A recent study showed a 4 fold increase in melanomas amongst users of tanning booths.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 21:17   #37

Boat: Dehler 39
Part time cruiser on Puget Sound WA. Only use it April thru Sept. I love sailing the other months... wind is better and no sun screen need for this pale face. I dislike sunscreen but value my skin enough to put up with the nuisance.

michael
bluzzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 19:56   #38
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I have had severl actinic keratoses removed in the last few years...with Nitrogen......When working I wear shorts and a tee shirt.... when sailing....long lighweight pants and a long sleeved tee shirt......I have a nice tan on my arms and that's it.

Best Sailing hat I ever bought was in Islamorada.....those wide brim khaki hats I can't remember the brand name. are overpriced and don't give me enough back of the neck protection.........
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 20:41   #39

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
I hate sunblock as no matter what kind I use it always feels greasy or sticky. Having said that, I have had a number of pre-cancerous lesions burned off my face so I always use it. Better greasy than carved on.
Old 05-08-2010, 22:41   #40

A lot of sunblocks contain nasty stuff, like a synthetic estrogen that's absorbed through the skin. These guys rate them; you should check to see what you're using: EWG's 2010 Sunscreen Guide There's a lot of good info on there (like how there is zero regulation of SPF ratings, etc).

I wear a hat almost always, sunglasses always, shorts that go over my knee, shoes with tops, and short sleeves with sunblock on or a long sleeve shirt. My skin is dark and I never burn but either way, better to hide from it especially during the 11am-3pm time frame in pitch weather.

I like wearing long clothes instead of sun block when I can. Plus I have tattoos which look like crap if you keep exposing them to sun.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 17:13   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
...Best Sailing hat I ever bought was in Islamorada.....those wide brim khaki hats I can't remember the brand name. are overpriced and don't give me enough back of the neck protection.........
The "Not-Yet-Famous" Tilley hat?
Tilley Endurables - The Finest Hats and Travel Clothing in the World

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 19:53   #42
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Tilley...that's it.

I suppose they would be good in Maine....with a blackfly net.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 20:28   #43

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
I use sunblock on any sunny day sailing. Don't want melanoma, lost my wife to it some years ago and definately not the way I want to end my days. A truely hideous way to die.!!

Bob.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 21:16   #44
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
have allergies to sunblocks ans such and vanishing creme base--so isnt an option.i use cloth.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 00:52   #45

I'm white for a reason, but I don't know what it is. Since this is how nature designed me I guess it is the best way for me to stay, so I never sunbath, use tanning booths etc and the factor 50 goes on when I am out. Although not in Oz I subscribe to the "slip, slop, slap" philosophy.

So far I've made it to my late 40s without having anything burned off. I intend to stay that way.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote