Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: How often do you use sunblock?
Always - Part time cruiser 42 43.30%
Always - Full time cruiser 6 6.19%
Never - Part time cruiser 3 3.09%
Never - Full time cruiser 4 4.12%
Sometimes - Part time cruiser 26 26.80%
Sometimes - Full time cruiser 10 10.31%
What is sunblock? 6 6.19%
What is the sun? 1 1.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 08:12   #16

I've already had several basal cell carcinomas removed. It was neither fun, nor pretty. I do not ever again want to hear the doctor say "the biopsy indicates that these are pre-cancerous cells". Trust me, neither do you!

ALWAYS USE SUNSCREEN!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 14:25   #17

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I've already had several basal cell carcinomas removed. It was neither fun, nor pretty. I do not ever again want to hear the doctor say "the biopsy indicates that these are pre-cancerous cells". Trust me, neither do you!

ALWAYS USE SUNSCREEN!

Yea, but there is not data that sunscreens prevent cancer. Only that it prevents sunburns. There are arguments as to whether sunburns lead to cancer. As smart as we are we don't know how the cancers actually start.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 15:02   #18

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
no sun screen for me, ever, long sleeve shirts and hats thank you, i cant prove it, but i know for a fact that applying all those chemicals to absorb in your largest organ (skin) cannot be good for you, and in my opinion, most likely causes more cancer then it prevents
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 15:22   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I never use it

at night.

I've ruined precious vacations getting too much sun the first day or two. I'm not going to keep making that mistake.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 15:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
no sun screen for me, ever, long sleeve shirts and hats thank you, i cant prove it, but i know for a fact that applying all those chemicals to absorb in your largest organ (skin) cannot be good for you, and in my opinion, most likely causes more cancer then it prevents
I agree. Living aboard in FL, we see our share of sun. The sun is good, sunscreen is bad. Burns should be avoided. I think a good, well-cultivated tan is the best protection.

We cover up with hats and shirts when expecting high exposure, and will put Bullfrog on kids' ears, noses, and cheeks in extreme cases (all day fishing/snorkeling trips), but no whole body applications.

Human skin has been in the sun for thousands of years, not in air-conditioning and under fluorescent lights. That's where the doctors and marketing executives are, trying to to take all your money while killing you slowly.

Obviously people have different types of skin, and not everyone can develop a good protective tan because of genetics, latitude, or time outdoors. I still think those people are far better off covering up than putting on the chemicals. My motto is that if you can't eat it, you shouldn't put it on your skin.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 16:09   #21

Boat: C&C 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post
My motto is that if you can't eat it, you shouldn't put it on your skin.
I like to wash my hands with soap, but don't eat it....

People live longer than they used to and cancer has a better chance of getting us as we get older.

Here is what the may clinic has to say about sun burns:

Sunburn: Complications - MayoClinic.com
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 16:14   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I forget my sunblock so often that I finally installed a permanent T-top over the helm. I still try to remember to use sunblock when I can, but it's nice to have a backup plan.
Old 09-07-2010, 16:20   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
No Ad 50 goes on before the sunglasses and had go on.
Old 09-07-2010, 17:26   #24

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Yea, but there is not data that sunscreens prevent cancer. Only that it prevents sunburns. There are arguments as to whether sunburns lead to cancer. As smart as we are we don't know how the cancers actually start.
Good point. Most recent guidelines focus more on covering up than gooping up. There is definitely an association between sun exposure and the more common basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas, but controversy over melanoma with some pointing out that it occurs in non-exposed areas, while others point out that it occurs more frequently closer to the equator, suggesting an association. For now I wear my hat and long sleeves and sunscreen on my face. I think I may have some kind of record with 36 BCC's to my credit and counting.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 22:45   #25

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
At age 40 I had my first skin cancer surgery and have been going through skin cancer and pre cancer removal procedures for the past 25 years since. All due to sailing in the sun with no protection. I am of northern German ancestry.

Think about it and go ahead do your own thing. Just go see your dermatologist often if you can afford. it.

There are still idiots visiting sun tan booths. Can you believe it?

regards,
Old 10-07-2010, 03:16   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Good point. Most recent guidelines focus more on covering up than gooping up. There is definitely an association between sun exposure and the more common basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas, but controversy over melanoma ...
Yes indeed, avoid the sun as possible, cover up, AND apply sun screen.

While the exact relationship is not 100% defined, it appears that intermittent (occasional) exposure, and exposure during childhood and adolescence, are likely important predictors for basal cell carcinoma, and cutaneous malignant melanoma.
High levels of chronic exposure, such as working outdoors, is more often associated with squamous cell tumours.

See:

Skin Cancer Facts

How do I protect myself from UV rays?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:43   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
As we say in Australia - slip slop slap

Slip on a shirt
Slop on sunscreen
Slap on a hat

And more recently
Slip Slop Slap, Seek and Slide
Seek shade
slide on sunglasses

And remember there is almost as much bite in the sun reflected off the water as there is coming directly from the sky

The other thing I do is go to the skin doctor every year for an examination - top to toe. every year I have to get something burnt off with the liquid nitrogen and every so often its a trip to the surgeon to cut some stuff out

And sun cream is best NOT rubbed in.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:59   #28

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
every year I have to get something burnt off with the liquid nitrogen and every so often its a trip to the surgeon to cut some stuff out

I don't want to say not to go to a doctor but I can tell you that a lot of the things "burnt" off are of little risk really. How little - well just see what some think of an AED on board. And as for the cutting off stuff. Be careful what the pathologist says about the specimen. "Pre-cancerous" does not mean that it would have turned into cancer and the patient says "Whew!!, I just dodged the bullet and was saved." It means that some day, maybe, it might have turned into cancer.

Not sure I want to be in the study to leave the thing there and be the stat on the graph that shows, "Yep, that type turned into cancer all right.", sorry dude.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:19   #29
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
in florida now the UV can be in the extreme range with 10 or 15 minutes to burn without sun screen. you make the decision.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:37   #30

I use sunblock every time (well, almost) I am out but.........

I was out on a day where the plan was an hour or so that went to half a day, though the middle of the day. It was one of those 15 min to burn days. I got a little red with only a mild, light, "warm" feeling that evening. I don't call that a burn. So I am a little skeptical of the warning mantras. There is just so much hype about everything these days IMO.

When they say 15 min to burn what do they mean? I do know it does not apply to me. Maybe a Snow-bird infant? What is the scale?

Maybe in the future one could be sure to follow the exact plan and be guaranteed a loooong life. Doubt it though.

My sons are adults (yea right! ) now and were brought up with the rule of sunblock. We all followed it. But now we know that scientists (what does that really mean?) are not sure block does anything to prevent the big C. Are my sons breasts because of the sunblock or cheeseburgers? Both? Oh NO! AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH.

When I am 127 and they are 60 I will be pretty sure of the answers.