Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 09:32   #1

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Spotlight for illuminating MOB

From an earlier thread I remember reading about the Marinebeam Ultra Long Range Illuminator
https://store.marinebeam.com/marineb...or-flashlight/.

This light looks good for spotting an MOB at a distance, but once you have them spotted and get the boat closer, it looks like it will be a laser-tight beam covering a small area. I think at this point I would like something with more spread in the beam to illuminate a larger area and perhaps not blind the MOB so much.

So, in addition to the super duper Marinebeam light, anyone have a suggestion for a more conventional spotlight? My preference would be handheld, preferably LED with rechargeable batteries.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 18:29   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Spotlight for illuminating MOB

I have Marine Beam’s plug in spotlight, your not going to get spot light performance off a handheld battery powered light, unless you spend a lot of money like my Light Monkey HID cave diving light.
https://www.lightmonkey.us/20-50-hid

However I believe a light on the MOB is more important, a strobe might be best.
I have these, but wish they would flash faster, but they are very bright and I suppose that is most important.
https://www.techdivinglimited.com/Di...trobe-8050.htm
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 19:07   #3

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Spotlight for illuminating MOB

Locating an MOB and keeping a spotlight on the MOB would be next to impossible, regardless of the type of spotlight you use.

If there was any hope of finding an MOB in the dark that MOB would have to carry the light source. A strobe would probably be the best option. A small ais transmitter would be even better.

The speech I used to give my crew was: If you go overboard there is a 99% chance you will not be recovered so don't, under any circumstances go overboard. Never leave the cockpit without the relief crew know that you are going on deck and use the safety harness to prevent you from going overboard. Being dragged through the water by a harness has been fatal on many occasions.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 19:52   #4

I have the MarineBeam Illuminator. Haven't used it for man overboard but the narrow beam is great for spotting small objects like lobster pots. As you sweep the narrow beam around, the buoys really "pop" from the surrounding black water.

Wide searchlight beams are almost unusable on a sailboat because you get back scatter off the sails, dodger, deck, and rigging. It ruins your night vision. It only works to put someone with the spot light on the bow pulpit. The narrow Marinebeam works fine from the helm.

Especially important is to make sure that everyone has reflective patches on their jackets

I agree it's much, much better to have a light at the man-overboard than try to find him with a flashlight. Everyone should wear a light after dark - or at least a glow stick.

Finally, the MOB AIS are a game changer. You just look at your chartplotter to find them - and they come with their own flashing strobe.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 20:12   #5

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I have noticed the MOB lights and refectors seem to mostly be white, surely a different colour would be better. Maybe not as bright but easier to distinguish from white caps.
Old 07-11-2019, 00:00   #6

We do have strobes on our PFDs, and they should make the MOB easier to find. We only have one of the portable AIS transmitters; we have not purchased one for each harness. Agreed they would be even better.

I was thinking of more general illumination once we have the MOB spotted and are getting close to them. Perhaps I muddied the waters by only mentioning use for MOB, but it would be anytime I wanted bright illumination of objects perhaps 50-100 yards away, and with more spread than the Marinebeam.

Any thoughts to my revised question?

Cheers!

Steve
Old 07-11-2019, 08:11   #7

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

If I'm understanding your need you want a torch that can be focused ? The shops and internet are full of them.

I typed in "powerful led focusing torch" and got a good result.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
If I'm understanding your need you want a torch that can be focused ? The shops and internet are full of them.

I typed in "powerful led focusing torch" and got a good result.
Thanks, Dave, but no, I'm not looking for one that can be focused. Just a good quality, rugged, handheld spotlight that will last in the marine environment. Yes, there are tons of choices, but I thought I would ask if someone had one to recommend.

Cheers!

Steve
Old 07-11-2019, 08:32   #9

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Have you seen the Lume-On lifejacket illuminator? We also use a good old Waypoint pistol grip lithium spotlight. Works great.

zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:12   #10

Boat: PDQ 44i

Check out the Stanley Fatmax FL5W10 rechargeable, LED, waterproof spotlight. We like ours a lot. I have no conflict of interest to disclose.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:33   #11

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I've been extremely impressed with the reflective brightness of SOLAS reflective tape. I'm in the process of adding it to all my boat's life vests, including the dog's. It's a big help in spotting someone I think.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:39   #12

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Something like this might help as well - https://smile.amazon.com/acr-C-Light...GBWP5X923RHSS4
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:51   #13

Zboss and doublewide - thanks! I'll take a look and see. Appreciate the recommendations.

Hardhead - I really like ACR products. We have ACR Fireflies mounted to our PFDs. Thanks! And I agree, the SOLAS reflective tape makes things much more visible.

Cheers!

Steve
Old 07-11-2019, 10:14   #14

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Locating an MOB and keeping a spotlight on the MOB would be next to impossible, regardless of the type of spotlight you use.

If there was any hope of finding an MOB in the dark that MOB would have to carry the light source. A strobe would probably be the best option. A small ais transmitter would be even better.

The speech I used to give my crew was: If you go overboard there is a 99% chance you will not be recovered so don't, under any circumstances go overboard. Never leave the cockpit without the relief crew know that you are going on deck and use the safety harness to prevent you from going overboard. Being dragged through the water by a harness has been fatal on many occasions.

BIG DITTO
Strobe on the lifejacket
Throw everything that will float overboard to mark the area

throw floating flare to mark the area
Hit MOB button on navigation eqpt.

BTW an acquaintance entertained us one afternoon about his experience real life test of harness in water, I can;t tell the whole story but it involved porpoising thru the water, nearly drowing, wife thinking he was just practicing etc.

In other words....
THINK OF A HARNESS THAT LETS YOU GO OVERBOARD AS A MEANS OF RETRIEVING THE BODY

bILL
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:32   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
BIG DITTO
THINK OF A HARNESS THAT LETS YOU GO OVERBOARD AS A MEANS OF RETRIEVING THE BODY

bILL

As a person that swims well and won’t go near cold water, that’s how I feel about a life jacket.
But you need a harness to tie into and carry the junk you think you may need, like an AIS MOB, a strobe and I will carry my handheld too. So why not have a life vest as part of it. But I won’t wear one in the dinghy.
I figure if I go overboard that maybe being able to talk to the mother boat could be very reassuring and helpful.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob