Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:42   #46

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Spot, Spot II, Spot Connect

Quote:
The difference is (...)
The difference is, also, that Spot (name generic) and EPIRB are completely different things. We can compare the technologies, the prices, but going any further into this alley is taken at one's own risk.

They may be complementary but they are not substitutions.

BTW I remember (ACR?) were launching a service similar to 'I am OK' Spot service.

Available for ACR's (and others') EPIRBs. Look it up, maybe you will like it:

406Link Satellite Testing Service / Cobham - Beacon Solutions

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:57   #47

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The difference is that with a SPOT you have to pay a yearly subscription. Not so with a PLB or an EPIRB.

So, if you use your SPOT only as a substitute for a PLB or an EPIRB then the break-even point is about 2 years compared to the smaller, cheaper PLBs, and about 5-6 years compared to the larger, more sophisticated EPIRBS. After that, the SPOT is costing you more, because it is costing you every year.

It is the "I am OK" messaging capability that gives the SPOT some additional value above and beyond a basic EPIRB, and (at least for some people--certainly not everyone) makes it worth the subscription price.
Comparing SPOT to EPIRB is like comparing a race car and a RV, sure they both have something in common (they move) but thats where the comparison should end.

SPOT and EPIRB have totally different uses. One is recreational (SPOT) and one is emergency (EPIRB).

About the only thing they share is satellite communication.

You buy SPOT to track your journeys, send OK messages, request help, and request emergency service. It also has options to request AAA service or Boat US service. Offers a journal to keep your trip logs in as well for free. It has a lot of features..if that is what you want...yes it is overly expensive if you ONLY want it for emergency situations....but you really shouldn't do that.

I had a spot that went overboard, it floated, but never sent another message (was in track mode) so I have first hand experience and have lost faith that it would work in an emergency. I bought another to replace it though..

If anyone uses SPOT as a sole replacement for a EPIRB, they need to be hit in the head and brought back to reality!
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:09   #48
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

spot will emit signals every ten mins IFF is the model designed to so do . mine is the model originally made with which it is important to push a button to make a marker--i do that either every 6ish hours or daily , as i see fit--is only to make momma know her little baby gurlee is ok. she would miss her fistborn if something happened. she kinda wants to know where it is i disappear for some reason. mine has an emergency feature, purchased for 50 extra dollars annually to do emergency notification.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:54   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
If anyone uses SPOT as a sole replacement for a EPIRB, they need to be hit in the head and brought back to reality!
I would agree. I was simply responding to the posting by ovrmyhead wherein he (she?) focused on the cost differences for initial purchase. The SPOT costs less up front, but in the long term it could cost quite a bit more, because of the yearly subscription.

Of course there are other, and more important, differences between these devices.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:15   #50

yearly subscription to spot inclusive of emergency service is 149.00 usd. isnt bad. what is price of epirb--mucho dinero. some of us do not use epirb. doesnt make us stoopit. we do things different-- used to be NO spot or other tracking devices. so what were the sailors then, eh?
just because someone CHOOSES to sail sans epirb and sans life raft doesnt equate to stupidity. is a CHOICE. we are truly all free to do as we desire, not as others dictate.
epirb 406 did not help mike plante, did it????? others as well.
smooth sailing.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:22   #51

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

So, how does one get a message or other info into the SPOT?
I don't see any keyboard or screen to show any info. I did a quick looked at the instructions and don't see anything there either.

http://www.findmespot.ca/downloads/S..._Oct8_2009.pdf
Old 04-05-2012, 10:28   #52

somehow is able to be added to computer --i use the send buttons for i am ok..there is a help me button also--but the 49 dollars annually for emergency service must be activated first.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:40   #53

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I don't see any keyboard or screen to show any info. I did a quick looked at the instructions and don't see anything there either.

http://www.findmespot.ca/downloads/S..._Oct8_2009.pdf
on your spot account online. Generally you set the message before you leave. You can't enter/change it without an internet connection. You hit OK, SPOT uses the message you set earlier.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:02   #54

Quote:
For this trick you need deLorme (or some other two-way toy). With deLorme I think you type on the smartphone and then it gets sent.

b.
Old 04-05-2012, 20:02   #55

I think I'd rather have the Magellan GSC 100. At least I can get something back if need be.
The Delorme seems awful expensive considering one needs another device to add info.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:04   #56

Quote:
I think I'd rather have the Magellan GSC 100. At least I can get something back if need be.
The Delorme seems awful expensive considering one needs another device to add info.
Last time I saw the Magellan it was at (?) USD 1000 per unit, plus activation (50?) and monthly costs (30?). That was AGES ago. What is the price now? (I tried twenga nad nextag but got no returns).

The deLorme toy costs less than USD 250 per unit, (plus activation (12) and running as applicable, starting at USD 10 per month, I believe).

Getting into deLorme should not be any issue. Most youngsters use smartphones right now. Just ask one no longer in use from your kids. ;-)

So, the Magellan is a neat all-in one (I guess it is also outdated - no longer produced). The deLorme is maybe 25% of the size but is (for sms) not standalone. DeLorme looks cheaper unless you get a s/h Magellan. Magellan's subscription plans look more expensive too.

Then there are the other two-way toys. Probably something for eveybody.

Cheers,
b.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:21   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Last time I saw the Magellan it was at (?) USD 1000 per unit, plus activation (50?) and monthly costs (30?). That was AGES ago. What is the price now? (I tried twenga nad nextag but got no returns).
Seen a used one on ebay for $125.
Old 08-05-2012, 15:13   #58

my spot unit was 99 dollars on ebay then the year service for 100 plus the emergency service for a year for 50. not bad, actually.