Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2016, 14:04   #76

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Solo Sailor Took His Own Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I had a small Piver 25'. I loved her for her solo sailing ability. She had been singled from England to the US. Only sold her because of a lack of interior room with a family. That little fin on each ama let her point well and she was well balanced. JMHO
How it got to this from an old man taking his life?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 14:17   #77

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Had it occurred to anyone that 78 isn't all that old, these days? Lots of people in their 70's still sailing.

But what RC was asking about are feelings of singlehanded sailors, and I'm thinking they are few in number, and mainly not the kind of folks who want to write about feelings, and that is the reason for all of the thread drift.
Old 24-02-2016, 14:33   #78
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Solo Sailor Took His Own Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Quite likely Crowhurst was unaware or not affected by Piver's demise. Probably unaware of a lot of things. Crowhurst was likely unhinged before embarking on the race; and being alone without human reference points, went over the edge, so to speak. The Piver tri boats were quite common as do-it-yourself home built projects. They were totally unsuited for long distance, open ocean, all weather racing. The first around the world singlehanded race was rather cobbled together with a real cast of very strange characters, including Sir Robin. It would be highly unlikely such a motley set of boats and yachtsmen would be allowed to do the race today.
You could not stop it if a group of amateur sailors got together and decided to do a RTW...
As a matter of fact I believe one is in the planning.. right down to similar nav gear as in the 'Day'.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 14:40   #79
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Are sailors not supposed to reel and weave about..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 24-02-2016, 14:45   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Boatman has long been one who has my respect and acknowledgement to be the best source for unvarnished truth in this forum. His admission of human feelings under duress was well said.
I have found as I age, thoughts of self destruction have been replaced by asking myself how can I help others who are younger and without the luck and resources I have been fortunate enough to amass? I also went through a period of reflection on my worth as an individual, an examination of how I had treated friends and enemies in the past and, of course, could I now make amends for past bad behavior. I realized that the best way to do that was to be helpful and giving in my community to those who were having a difficult time. It is fulfilling and very rewarding. I would encourage everyone who has reached that point in their lives where they are awaiting the grim reaper to choose a person or organization to support and help build the lives of those less fortunate than ourselves. You don't need to be wealthy, I'm certainly not! But give of your time and talent to folks who are battling on alone and may feel without hope. A kind word, just your company can do wonders! Cheers, Phil
You are indeed wealthy Phil, we can see it flowing from your pockets..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 14:50   #81
cruiser

Quote:
Quite likely Crowhurst was unaware or not affected by Piver's demise. Probably unaware of a lot of things. Crowhurst was likely unhinged before embarking on the race; and being alone without human reference points, went over the edge, so to speak. The Piver tri boats were quite common as do-it-yourself home built projects. They were totally unsuited for long distance, open ocean, all weather racing. The first around the world singlehanded race was rather cobbled together with a real cast of very strange characters, including Sir Robin. It would be highly unlikely such a motley set of boats and yachtsmen would be allowed to do the race today.
Cant agree Crowhurst didn't know about Piver's disappearance/death.
Crowhurst was having mental breakdowns before he left England from all the stress IMO

Crowhust was totally "All in" so to speak with his invention/trimaran wrighting devise was riding on a good showing as well as he needed to win for the publicity, why he was driven to cheat/fake his position/s etc to beat Tetley who was a seasoned veteran sailor IMO.

Also Crowhurst's boat was built by COX Marine, they were as I understand the leader of professional builders of Piver's designs. Surely Crowhurst would have heard about Piver thru Cox Marine so he had to have know???

Nigel Tetley sailed the same hull design as Crowhurst but a fully built cabin model he lived aboard.

Crowhurst essentially caused Tetley to false believe he had to keep "Victress" (Tetleys Vessel) hard hung with mega canvas to beat Crowhurst (who never left the Atlantic Ocean) which caused the faster disintegration if "Victress" which from the stress of hard sailing was literally coming apart as Teteley had to hale SOS/Mayday and abandon ship into the life raft as his vessel sunk from under him...

This is why they deemed him the winner...pretty good sport Tetley was too for donating the winnings to Crowhursts widow/children.

This story is better than Piver's own disappearance IMO
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 14:50   #82

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
That happened a couple of years ago. The actual question was this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Being a solo sailor can no doubt be emotionally hard. Are any solo sailors willing to share your own experiences of emotional lows and difficulties?
I don't think we're all that off-topic, considering
Old 24-02-2016, 14:58   #83

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Had it occurred to anyone that 78 isn't all that old, these days? Lots of people in their 70's still sailing.

But what RC was asking about are feelings of singlehanded sailors, and I'm thinking they are few in number, and mainly not the kind of folks who want to write about feelings, and that is the reason for all of the thread drift.
And there is a tremendous amount of pressure when singlhanders make mistakes like this. They are not only hard on themselves but the community can be very judgmental too.

My dad ( and mom) sailed RTW at 70. When he couldn't sail anymore he just shut it off, kinda amazing, 45 years of hard sailing, he doesn't talk about it or reminisce. Don't understand it but glad he can be happy on land.

So sad for this guys family and friends.
Old 24-02-2016, 15:11   #84

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
and mainly not the kind of folks who want to write about feelings, and that is the reason for all of the thread drift.
Haha, I don't really want to share that much either.

But I will say it takes a lot of energy to sail solo. I think people sometimes forget how much easier everything is when there's someone that can hand you that part you need while you are stuck working in a small space, or make you a cup of coffee when you're dead on your feet.

For me, it's all the smaller things that make it a big thing. If that makes any sense.

Edit: and then, when you dock somewhere, the never ending "where's the captain" when it's just me getting off the boat. Sigh. It's only funny when you're not tired and hungry
Old 24-02-2016, 15:26   #85

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Lizzy,

We have a friend whom we refer to as Mighty Merry. Way back around 1990, she was in the process of a singlehanded circumnavigation, a woman of perhaps 5'2" of height on a 32 foot boat, which was already getting on the small side, as most new boat purchases were larger.

She, too, bemused the authorities, there's nothing you can do about it. Look at the joke thread. Male chauvinism is alive and well. Ignore them, if you can, and go about your business in your own way. Life's too short to worry about it. I think it is that your independence is really threatening to some men; others would be delighted. Funny old world, it is.

And you're right, having the person to hand you the tool is way better than crawling out of the lazarette where you hardly fit, finding it, and crawling back!

Be well, soon it will be spring.

Ann
Old 24-02-2016, 23:06   #86

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I happen to notice the many welcome contributions from the F factor herein.

We only wish there were many more Anns, Lizzies, and Oceanic girls around...

Sparse thoughts:

I am in Holland, it snowed last night! But it was a fantastic day yesterday. So let's say that Winter&Spring are love mates..

Here, pension age is 68... omg, that's a fuc...ng social contract..as I see in cemetery people living Hardly longer than late 70s (10year pension after 40+year contributions??.. yummy..)

A human presence is desirable. But I can't figure out getting depressed on board, being busy around, and with so many details alive around you...

Being outdoor is a fantastic advantage to life quality, even in wintertime!

Getting older, you find a reason, an obvious one, to be helpful (not to help) to the young, to those in need.
And Sailors, and people at sea, are always in need, always helpful... so nice it is!
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 05:17   #87
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Right ho..
lets just clear some possible misunderstandings here about my story..
Whilst I really appreciate the kind comments I received afterwards.. its seems some here think its was some kind of Cathartic Release for me.. a baring of my soul..
Nope.. Sorry.. nothing bared..just my teeth as I grin at the memory..
Oh..!! and Thunderbird.. its NOT Nature that depressed.. it was the prospect having to leave it soon and return to unnatural 'MAN'...
Sorry guys and gals if this comes as a disillusion to some but.. for me it was just another funny/interesting event in my life.. no more or less dramatic than flipping a m'bike on black ice at 70mph, coming to ones feet after the third roll and seamlessly walking on down to where the bike was lying..
Two pedestrian witnesses were gobsmacked.. even more so when I proceeded to bend the handle bars back into usable shape.. remounted and continued my ride home..
I do find many folk make a big deal out life but seriously.. how brave does one have to be to recount a funny story.. got loadsa similar hilarious near death tale's..
But then.. what can you expect from someone who comes out with expressions like.. "Roll On F**kin Death..!! I could do with a lie in.."
Know for a fact that expression upsets some CF members.. and others..

Old 25-02-2016, 06:28   #88

Boat: Tartan 3000

78 and sailing solo. Must have been a gutsy independent man

RIP Donald Marshall.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:52   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Right ho..
lets just clear some possible misunderstandings here about my story..
Whilst I really appreciate the kind comments I received afterwards.. its seems some here think its was some kind of Cathartic Release for me.. a baring of my soul..
Nope.. Sorry.. nothing bared..just my teeth as I grin at the memory..
Oh..!! and Thunderbird.. its NOT Nature that depressed.. it was the prospect having to leave it soon and return to unnatural 'MAN'...
Sorry guys and gals if this comes as a disillusion to some but.. for me it was just another funny/interesting event in my life.. no more or less dramatic than flipping a m'bike on black ice at 70mph, coming to ones feet after the third roll and seamlessly walking on down to where the bike was lying..
Two pedestrian witnesses were gobsmacked.. even more so when I proceeded to bend the handle bars back into usable shape.. remounted and continued my ride home..
I do find many folk make a big deal out life but seriously.. how brave does one have to be to recount a funny story.. got loadsa similar hilarious near death tale's..
But then.. what can you expect from someone who comes out with expressions like.. "Roll On F**kin Death..!! I could do with a lie in.."
Know for a fact that expression upsets some CF members.. and others..

Think you have been reading too many Tristan Jones' books.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 08:06   #90
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Think you have been reading too many Tristan Jones' books.
Only read Fiction these days (last 40 yrs) mate.. tales of survival are just too overhyped for the ignorant reader.. and Tristan Jones is over rated..
Real life is generally too boring without the icing and hundreds and thousands.. and living the deeds oneself beats the **** outa reading about someone elses..
And no.. I will not be writing a book.. done nothing special.. in my mind.. and I've no desire to be rich or famous..
However Infamous..
That holds appeal..

Tags
sail