Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-08-2015, 15:09   #46

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: So your cruising and come across illegal immigrants/ refuges in distress, what do

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
rogn-
Without questioning any of the points...If you don't have helicopter medevac insurance, and the treatment you want or need is not available locally? Driving fourteen hours to self-evacuate to better care does not seem unreasonable at all. I'd hate to drive 14 hours (on road, off road, car, truck, whatever) even when healthy and well-rested, but if I needed medical care...
You really don't want to know what even an "ambulance" ride will cost, if you have to first bring them to you, and then go back out, making it a 28-hour round trip ride for them. Heck, even in the US you can get a bill for a fast $800 for a municipal ambulance ride less than five miles long.
Just saying.

Agreed.

Old 22-08-2015, 15:18   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: So your cruising and come across illegal immigrants/ refuges in distress, what do

WRT evaluating places...a well known and respected sailor, now deceased, Annapolis grad and ex-naval captain as well, that I met in the late 1980s, foiled an attempted boat-jacking right here in the US, in Georgia, on the ICW. The only reason he had "no" problem foiling it, was situational awareness and years of being trained to deal carefully with suspicious strangers.

Bandits are everywhere. The less "civilization" and urban mass that are around you, the less federales they have to worry about. That's true the world over as well. (Except perhaps for Switzerland, and Singapore, but then again, they're rather unique.)

Old 22-08-2015, 21:42   #48

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Thanks, M,
However, if it happened yesterday or in 2001, I believe one's attitude should be to evaluate and re-evaluate one's potential cruising grounds. As Dylan said . . . . "The Times They Are A Changin'" Good luck and good sailing.
Absolutely agree. Constant evaluation of current events is vigilance.
Old 23-08-2015, 20:41   #49

Boat: 2006 Gemini 105Mc

I have made several trips to Haiti on Mission Trips. When handing out free food and you run out it's not a safe place to be. We always have several trusted interpreters and some with machetes for our protection. Talking about biting the hand that feeds you! I would hate to be faced with this scenario because many Haitian's have little regard for human life.
Old 23-08-2015, 21:35   #50

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcay View Post
I have made several trips to Haiti on Mission Trips. When handing out free food and you run out it's not a safe place to be. We always have several trusted interpreters and some with machetes for our protection. Talking about biting the hand that feeds you! I would hate to be faced with this scenario because many Haitian's have little regard for human life.

CYA is always a part of dealing with dangerous animals. Humans are especially dangerous. Consider the 1%ers that fund genocide for profit in third world countries while blocking abortion laws at home for political reasons. At least the Haitian with the machete might be trying to feed his children.

Making repeated trips to a dangerous country for a charitable cause is the opposite side of the human coin and the kind of nature that I look for in my fellow man.

Kudos

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 24-08-2015, 11:24   #51
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In bombed out cites in Germany after WW2, the people (unemployed and hungry) would still form bucket brigades to pick up rubble, clean off the bricks, and stack them so they could be used to rebuild. They co-operated to rebuild their world.

In Haiti? Is it a lie that the Haitians continue to chop down any wood for fuel? Ensuring that the wooded lands they desolated, which turn into mudslides in storms, continue only to desolate them?

Of course that's not all Haitians, many have the sense to leave seeking a better life somewhere less hopeless. And not realizing...if they treat their new homes just like Haiti...the outcome for them will not be very welcoming or successful. (sigh.)

The best way to help Haiti might be to let it starve. Then, void of life, it will regenerate and a new generation with better ideas of rebuilding might take plant there. Or, invade it, anew it, and in Kipling's much-admonished words, "White man's Burden" and place it under totally different rule and standards. Of course, that hasn't worked out so well for Puerto Rico (forever going bankrupt) either.

But simply sending aid, as well-intended as it might be, is exactly the worst thing to do.
Old 29-08-2015, 09:32   #52

Location: Homeport is Anacortes WA. Now sailing the Sea of Cortez
Boat: Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 34'

This is a very important and helpful discussion. Not all of them are.
I agree with: Call authorities, standby at a good distance, throw out anything that floats. Play it from there.
Old 07-02-2016, 17:50   #53

Boat: PENDING - Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenders View Post
This is a very important and helpful discussion. Not all of them are.
I agree with: Call authorities, standby at a good distance, throw out anything that floats. Play it from there.
I would say this, simply put. No way I would let them board, whatever the available capacity of my boat was. Someone said on this thread that they would tow them to safety, toss them spare lifejackets etc., then cut the lines, I agree with this as well, if feasible.

B

Tags
cruising, distress, legal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: