Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2011, 07:43   #106
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette !

street cleaning crap goes down the storm drains also...... think about it.....eeewww... and the blame gets placed on the guy easiest to grab.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 07:48   #107
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
street cleaning crap goes down the storm drains also...... think about it.....eeewww... and the blame gets placed on the guy easiest to grab.....
Boaters here, and especially live-aboards, were blamed.

The problem we have in this marina isn't a live-aboard but one of his buddies. Every time he comes to visit we have crushed up beer cans and empty liquor bottles floating in the marina. Soooo attractive ...

I keep my fishing net out and scoop them up and clean up after some drunk.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 08:00   #108

I find many of the comments here incredibly revealing. many smokers think people who don't are whiners.

Let me ask you this, if you were in an anchorage, and some guy came in and started sandblasting and painting his boat with obnoxious lacquer paint. How far away would be far enough for you to not smell it? And... to take it a step further, if you couldn't move, it'd just be OK to force you to breathe something that makes you physically uncomfortable? you have a 'choice' not to breathe...

Like I said before, I can smell smoke driving on the freeway. it's not 'hyper'sensativity, it's just being able to smell.

And it's one thing if you can step two feet over into a fresh breeze, but that's not always the case.

the arguments that there are other pollutants is an interesting one as well. so the solution is to add more? Yes, cars are bad. we limit their emissions as much as possible, but we don't say 'oh well' since there are cars you might as well make a chlorine gas cloud too. I mean what's the difference? (besides a few TONS of emissions from all sorts of sources that we don't allow.)
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 09:10   #109
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
This is like a Haywood County homecoming! Cooter, tripe, cabbage, cigarettes and sweet tea, all on a cruising yacht?

I'd definitely move if someone was smoking near me. I have no interest in controlling what others do. All the narrative about other pollutants is irrelevant in terms of my short-term airway happiness. Cigarette smoke makes me sick, literally. I wish it didn't, but everything starts to swell up. Dusty conditions in farming seems to have made it worse.

Some of us are just more sensitive to it for whatever reason. I'm also sensitive to nasty perfumes, I've discovered. I can smell a woman's perfume in my farm shop long after she leaves. My poor wife doesn't wear it cause I'd never go near her sweet little neck with various lotions and perfumes lathered about. When the dew sets of a evenin', I can smell a variety of rich earthy smells from the farm; freshly plowed soil or new mown hay, or ripened barley half a mile away. Sawing teak or grinding gelcoat fills me with good memories of boatyards, and the smell of a head actually reminds me of great offshore adventures. I;m sure many of you have the same experience. Smells and smoke are different you say? Not so fast... the reality for me, and others I presume, is that cigarette smoke, however diffuse, can sometimes keep us up at night and cause an asthma attack. Not just plumes of smoke, but even faint smells of it, can SOMETIMES create a reaction. Bummer, huh? Life was rough on the NC coast this summer with the fires...

I guess I'd feel defensive if I was a smoker, you guys are on the retreat for sure and there is little hope that things will get more relaxed, thank goodness. At least you can go to sea and smoke til your hearts content. My first mate smokes while on board, but he knows how it makes me feel. Some of my best friends are tobacco farmers. I have a tobacco heritage license plate on my car to the consternation of my self-righteous friends, because tobacco has funded a great deal in agriculture. As much as I believe in ones right to freedom, I will not tolerate smokers who are not thoughtful. No one lives close enough to me to bother me with cigarettes. If you light up next to me in line, I will kindly and patiently tell you how it makes me feel and request you put it out. And you will put it out. That's all that matters.
We forgot about the paper mill..every time I complain about the smell of a paper mill someone tells me that it smells like money..same could be said for tobacco...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 09:29   #110

down here, in old harbor, is a lovely anchorage with the wind wafting off the sewage treatment plant........ but .......is sooo beautiful.....
Old 15-09-2011, 09:36   #111

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

I'd much rather get an occasional whiff of tobacco (or other) smoke while at anchor than be forced to look at some obese cruisers in bathing suits three sizes too small all day.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 09:36   #112
Armchair Bucketeer

Some people smell more than they realise.......maybe the smoking was to mask that?

Whilst a Fag Butt might last a long time in the environment, so do people.

Push comes to shove am quite prepared to play my part in balancing up the Environmental scales, saving the planet from a(nother) 50 years of whining by a carbon generating human seems about right for a couple of smokes. Certainly people have met their maker (or not ) for far less.......foreign can be a funny place

Must get that boat finished
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 09:56   #113

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
I'd much rather get an occasional whiff of tobacco (or other) smoke while at anchor than be forced to look at some obese cruisers in bathing suits three sizes too small all day.
I find it easier to turn my head than to stop breathing.
Old 15-09-2011, 10:01   #114

moving upwind can make a stinky soul a decent watchmate.....
Old 15-09-2011, 17:44   #115

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames

Boaters here, and especially live-aboards, were blamed.

The problem we have in this marina isn't a live-aboard but one of his buddies. Every time he comes to visit we have crushed up beer cans and empty liquor bottles floating in the marina. Soooo attractive ...

I keep my fishing net out and scoop them up and clean up after some drunk.
Perhaps this individual needs someone to correct his cranial rectal inversion. In my brief time as a smoker in college I went to a military base about 2 hours from my college to visit some friends from high school. I stopped at a Burger King for something and flicked a cig butt out my window. The next thing I know I had n old master Sargent knocking on my window to return what I dropped. That was he last time I did that. Sad it took that but at 18 I could barely find my butt with both hands. I dropped hat habit quickly after college.

In a marina environment this habit is especially bad when a lit butt lands on a dink with an inflatable floor...ARGH.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 18:03   #116

Boat: Seafarer 26
Wow I am reading this in disbelief. Some people are still rabid about smoking. I quit about 3 years ago for myself not for anybody else. Got news for you. It's legal. Go worry about the drunks out there that drive cars and boats. They do actually kill others.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 18:22   #117

I heard that fish will eat a butt as it looks like something good to eat to them, a grub maybe. Anyway, the butt won't digest, blocking the digestive tract and starving the fish. Another good reason to keep the butts on board.
Morgan3820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 18:46   #118

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well according to a recent study just about everything we drink, eat or breath is bad/lethal for our health... Chemicals/Toxins/Metals all contribute...
As for me... its 58 yrs now since I first inhaled smoke... if I stopped now my lungs would collapse as the tar holding them together disintegrated...
But I would not encourage anyone else to start... its a hard one to kick...
How is it that everything I like is illegal, immoral or fattening?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 18:56   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
rofl... didntye know is the way of life......
Old 15-09-2011, 19:34   #120

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Because you are a civil disobedient heathen that exercises a lot?....what's the problem?

In my world view ("fly-right"), as long as you aren't hurting other people...you're free to move about the cabin.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote