Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2011, 11:35   #61

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
My dads family is from Waynesville...and a poorley played banjo is better than none at all..
Well said I'm also from Waynesville look for my PM
Old 14-09-2011, 11:53   #62

Boat: looking

All valid opinions & reasoning, here. I'm the type who, unless I sense a scammer, tries to appreciate the other perspective & don't want to interfere with another's opportunity to enjoy themselves. Yeah, somking has no redeeming qualities but, if you've been smoking as long as I have - about 43 years - it isn't easy to walk away from & attempting to turns me into a miserable SOB. I don't litter my butts &, as I mentioned to a possible crew member, I wouldn't smoke below decks, nor upwind for that matter. I'm just thinking about how crowded those anchorages in the Sea of Cortez are going to get after the Baja Ha Ha. But, I'm not going to be chased off over a smoke, either.

To the poster who lost a father to emphysema, I can only say that, like all addictions, smoking is a selfish act. I watched my father retire, then drink himself to death over a 12 year period. Interestingly, without thinking about it I stopped drinking for a couple of years after that & don't drink as much as I used to, to this day. Still, one can't blame the other drinkers/smokers or even distillers or brewers/tobacco companies, only that person who made that choice. So, for me, I'll either quit or not, but I've sucked enough asbestos in & been exposed to enough PCBs when working in the shipyards/drydocks & other industries - not to mention all of the poison in weld particulate - that something will get me. eventually. Still, you're right that your father wasn't the only sufferer.

Perfumes, some food prep, engines & gen-sets, etc., can all make living in close quarters tough, as well. But I don't want hard feelings with others, so, if I could suggest, if the odours from another boat are bothering you, how about just going over & having a polite adult conversation with the offender(s)? It's easy enough to talk about moving along, but what a pita to have to pull the pick(s), move & re-deploy.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 12:24   #63

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Alright that's it, against my will I'm gettin mean and ugly...I'm gonna have to dig in the ashtray to see if I can find a smokable butt. My apologies for any hostile diatribes.

I reeally hate this habit! Eric
Hating the habit is the first step to quiting. Tell yourself every time you light up how much you hate it. One day you'll pull out a smoke, think for a second, throw it and the rest of the pack in a trash can and never smoke again. Smoked 30 years and quit 15 years ago, I can make it one more day.
Old 14-09-2011, 12:48   #64
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

as i have stated before, i just go up wind from the offender.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 13:02   #65
Armchair Bucketeer

If you are that close to smell the smoke, you are too close to Anchor - let some chain out.......or it's a 4 foot roll yer own

FWIW, not (yet?) encountered any anti-smoking Nazis afloat - but ashore have met a few. Basically I agree that it ain't healthy and will likely kill me - but point out that non-smokers also die of slow painful illnesses......if needed I then look at them hard and explain that at least I am not obese and won't be eating myself into an early grave.......... like they are clearly doing (I might stretch the point a bit - but it's surprising how sensitive many folk are on the subject of weight ).....I have never (yet) had to go onto the bit about asking why they are killing there kids by feeding them sh#te........."You gonna sell 'em by the pound?"

What's it got to do with me? - visual pollution , it's just deeply unpleasant to see fat people......and I am not simply talking about those who can barely waddle. But I put up with them - as it's not a perfect world.

In any event, smoking (in the West) is on a downward spiral - in a generation it will be a very minority activity. and in 2 it will be like taking snuff Why? no advertising to make it cool (imagine the I-Fag ) and far better drugs in the market Of course the fat people will never live to see that day but the bad news is that in the interim they will have to work a bit harder to replace all those tobacco taxes, and then pay for Pensions / long term health care for folk who used to die before they got expensive.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 13:08   #66

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Well put, DOJ!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 13:10   #67

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
What the heck is wrong with not drinking???
"Never trust a man who drinks too much,,,,,,,,,,or too little". An old Russian saying.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 13:20   #68

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
(...) comes wafting straight at you in big clouds (...)
You must be anchored too, way too, close to the other guy...

I am a non-smoker and hate smoke. Alas, never been bothered by clouds of cigarette smoke in an anchorage or at the dock.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 13:25   #69

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

There's a lot of things worse than smokers on a boat upwind, and most of them have been identified in this thread - except that brain-dead water skiers and jet skiers were overlooked. Anyway, since smoking is a legal habit, I'd either move or get used to it. On the other hand, I have no problem politely taking complaints about too much noise (generators and obnoxious partiers) directly to the source - there is an ethic about being on the water that recognizes "peace and quiet".
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 13:34   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
What's it got to do with me?
In our increasingly interconnected world of regulation and mandates.... It has a hell of a lot to do with you. Fat people cause the overall cost of health care to go up. Also, the added volume (pun intended) of cases that inundate the health care system cause the bureaucracy and insurance companies to fatten up, especially with long lasting chronic conditions such as Type 2 diabetes. So you see, their health choices and yours are tied together.

If the world was really concerned with "health" they'd be fighting to ban sugar, HFCS, fats, refined flour, dairy products, etc.

Also we'd all live in bubbles and be fed a perfectly nutritious but bland slurry to survive off of.

Smoke em if you got em.

Old 14-09-2011, 13:55   #71
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
In our increasingly interconnected world of regulation and mandates.... It has a hell of a lot to do with you. Fat people cause the overall cost of health care to go up. Also, the added volume (pun intended) of cases that inundate the health care system cause the bureaucracy and insurance companies to fatten up, especially with long lasting chronic conditions such as Type 2 diabetes. So you see, their health choices and yours are tied together.

If the world was really concerned with "health" they'd be fighting to ban sugar, HFCS, fats, refined flour, dairy products, etc.

Also we'd all live in bubbles and be fed a perfectly nutritious but bland slurry to survive off of.

Smoke em if you got em.

Not everyone agrees that all those things are bad for you. Even smokers know smoking is bad for you. GET YER BLOOMIN' HANDS OFF MY MILK!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 14:03   #72
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette !

Well according to a recent study just about everything we drink, eat or breath is bad/lethal for our health... Chemicals/Toxins/Metals all contribute...
As for me... its 58 yrs now since I first inhaled smoke... if I stopped now my lungs would collapse as the tar holding them together disintegrated...
But I would not encourage anyone else to start... its a hard one to kick...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 14:04   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Not everyone agrees that all those things are bad for you. Even smokers know smoking is bad for you. GET YER BLOOMIN' HANDS OFF MY MILK!
Hell no. Ban all dairy. BAN IT ALL.

At first they came for the smokers and I did nothing because I was not a smoker.

Then they came for the motorcyclists and I did nothing because I did not ride.

Then they came for the swimmers and non-PFD wearers and I did nothing because I was not a sailor.

BUT NOW THEY'VE COME FOR MY SUGAR. STOP THEM STOP THEM
Old 14-09-2011, 14:17   #74

Boat: O45 ordered

I am very proud to announce that I am smoke free for one year and 16 days.
I miss it every day.
Multihull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 14:35   #75
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

People are way too ofended by what other people do.

Just remeber there IS a GOD......and you ain't it.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote