Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-09-2016, 09:26   #16

Boat: Beneteau 423 Oceanis Clipper
Re: Skin Conditions - Pimples, Rashes and Itches

Wow, the replies came fast and furious! Thanks all for the tips. My wife loves trying all natural remedies first and is a firm believer in coconut oil (I've read the recent thread started on that) so will try boatman61's advice on that. Plus we have a bottle of betadiene here so will try that also.

Full disclosure: I was swimming in Oyster Pond AND the Simpson Bay Lagoon in St. Maarten (both known to be rather green and nasty). My wife was too but that was back in July and since then we've been in pristine waters off Anguilla, Anegada, Virgin Gorda. So who knows, maybe it's cumulative or as SV DestinyAscen says it might be soaked into my shorts by now. The problem is that we've changed location and care products recently so difficult to isolate.

Zee, I'll try benadryl if it gets any worse. So far it's not stopping me from sleeping. I had a good 10 minute scrub session this morning with a brush and I'm OK now.

Kinda hard to stay out of the water but that is also a good suggestion.

I sweat like a mo' fo' as soon as I exert myself and airflow is restricted. Anything in aft cabin is a killer for me. And areas with lots of sweat tend to open up pores and get dirty and infected as one poster mentioned. So along hairline and shoulders and back, for instance, I get pimples too. I think I'll not spare the fresh water and rinse more and more frequently. I'll report back on results. Also, I'll be more conscious of getting out of the wet shorts quicker.

When I was cleaning the bottom in Oyster Pond I would get rained on by these viscious micro-shrimpies that would bite and sting so I learned after that to wear a hood and long sleeves shirt. But that was a while ago so this isn't related to that.

Thanks all!!

Sent from my SM-G530H using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 07-09-2016, 09:27   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Salt Water doesn't bother some, for me if I let it stay on me after diving especially if I walk around with the same shorts, it eats me up.
I have to shower in fresh water and soap, rinsing off helps, but not completely, it takes soap.
Yes this wastes water, but I don't know what else to do

Old 07-09-2016, 09:33   #18

b., stop drinking coffee? I can't disconnect the IV bag from my arm.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:41   #19

If I could get my watermaker running that could really help with the water situation so I'll have to start a separate thread on that. I've had 7 problems crop up at the same time and some of them quite serious.

I went below to find water over the floor boards about 40 miles from land. No prob, I thought, I'll just switch on the bilge pump. It didn't work. We hand bailed the rest of the way. Anyways, I'll have more threads in the making soon. I just like to research old threads first to make sure I'm not asking the same question that has been flogged to death. Ironically, I could not find much on skin conditions although judging by the responses this is a common issue.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:47   #20

We have used Hydrogen Peroxide with great success on similar booboo's....wet a small paper towel, swab the area, air dry.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:04   #21

Witch Hazel is a good natural, topical anti-itch remedy
Has many other uses too.
Good item to have on board
Cheers
Neil
Old 07-09-2016, 10:14   #22

s/v DestinyAscend could be right on target. It sounds a lot like what is called sea lice around Florida. Tiny larval jellyfish get irritated when squeezed between suit and skin and start stinging. They can sting other places as well. Nutrient rich (polluted) water is worse as it increases jellyfish populations.
Try rinsing with salt water first. Some jellyfish, or rather the nematocysts that they have pinned to your skin, are distressed by freshwater and will sting more. Swim nekkid. Or try a tight fitting suit that water can't wash in and out under. Break out that Speedo. I know you have one.
I learned to wear a dive skin and foam ear plugs when I scraped my boat.
Lot's of good remedies mentioned above. And don't forget to ask the locals. They may know exactly what it is. They live there. They also have doctors there. Try one. You may be surprised how cheap it is if you're American.
And, of course, warm, wet conditions are good for breeding all sorts of bacterial skin conditions. So could be lot's of things. You might each have separate issues. Or not. Different people's immune systems react differently.
here's a link that may help. Lot's about it online.

Sea lice: How to avoid them, and how to treat the stings | NOLA.com
Old 07-09-2016, 10:29   #23

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Definitely not leishmaniasis. Can you even get that in the islands? that's more of jungle illness and a real pain to treat. The third worlders know how to treat it better than anyone else.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:13   #24

I've lived in the tropics for 40 years and found nothing works better for itches than wiping down with straight bleach. Try an isolated area first.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:22   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Washing down with a weak bleach solution will take care of staph bugs on the skin. Put enough bleach in freshwater so you can smell it and wipe over affected areas. Killed a persistant staph infection in a couple of days that had hung around for six months. Would do a regimen of antibiotics when the pimple that it started with bloomed into an incipient boil. Antibiotics would knock it back to a pimple but it would break out again after weeks/months. A cruising doctor stopped me on the street in Papeete when he noticed the sore on my knee and told me about the bleach cure.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:38   #26

If you think your boat may be contaminated, and contaminated surfaces can reinfect you instantly, you can sterilize it by spraying all surfaces with a 1/10 solution of bleach and water. Spray on. Let dry. Bugs dead. You don't have to soak it. Watch out for the fumes. Chlorine vapors are very bad for the lungs. So mind your ventilation and work backwards moving into the breeze. Pay attention to what you spray it on, too. Unless you, like, really dig that tie died look.
But I'm betting on the jellyfish
Old 07-09-2016, 17:00   #27

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
What boatman61 says. Also 1% Hydrocortisone. From personal experience, the best is Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream, at lest 0.1% (Rx in US, other countries, not so much).
Suggest reluctance on the Hydrocortisone. I think it treats the symptoms, not the cause. It then disguises the cause, and you can get stuck with it, and that can become a problem. From a fair bit of research driven by personal experience.
Old 07-09-2016, 20:49   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tartan 4100

i have been stung in the water by Sea Nettles, as the local called it. I could feel the stings right away. I love my wetsuit but it is a pain to put on
Old 07-09-2016, 22:01   #29

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Got similar thing years ago in the Carib. Re-appears when exposed to sun. Head & Shoulders takes care of it. Use before going out in sun the first of the season and occasionally after that fixes it. Pain in the neck.
Old 08-09-2016, 00:35   #30

Butt rash is common with sailors.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: