Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-06-2011, 07:14   #16

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Single handing overboard

I'd rather not go over in the first place, but...

Old 04-06-2011, 07:25   #17
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

I don't agree with single handing, if it means "with no one on watch", but that issue aside...

One thing that we can all do, is have an emergency way to get back onboard if we fall in at anchor or on autopilot, and going very slow. We have a hinged, folding, boarding ladder that is held in the "up" position by a plastic hook. If I needed to, I can barely reach the lower rung from the water, (or easily reach a 10" rope loop). With a good pull, the plastic hook would break and the ladder deploy. This is, of coarse, not useful sailing at speed, but there are many versions from folding to roll up, that serve the purpose...

Also, a thought for "short range" single handers, (besides the obvious, tethers).

I met a single hander in the Bahamas once who regularly trailed his dinghy 100' behind the boat. We later had occasion to meet and chat. It seems that he had been on a previous trip to the Bahamas, on auto, and fell in half way across, (in the Gulf Stream). He was sailing about 6 knots, and by chance he had been trailing his dinghy way behind. This allowed him to get to the painter, then with great effort, into the dinghy. After a rest, he pulled the dinghy forward, bit by bit, and made it to the mothership. SAFETY! He adopted this practice of trailing the dinghy way behind the boat, from then on.

On a long crossing this would slow one down too much, and you would likely loose the dinghy eventually, but on a Gulf Stream crossing to the Bahamas, it saved his life!

I remember asking a fellow boatbuilder where he was going to "keep his boat" after launch. He said: "Under my ass I hope"!

May we all be so lucky...

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4180612 - Copy.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	28057   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4180613.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	28058  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4180615 - Copy.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	28059  

Old 04-06-2011, 07:37   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
...This all took about 1.25 hours in 43F water, by the time I was back aboard my vessel, I was pretty hypothermia bound and managed to get back up to my original mooring and make fast, fire up the diesel stove and crawl into the rack for about 12 hours of sleep....
Wow... everyone should keep these numbers in mind:

Survival Time in Cold Water
Old 04-06-2011, 08:14   #19

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
"One hand for the boat ... one hand for the boy."

My boat is easy to board from the water, and I always trail a line, but can I still pull myself back? Could I ever?
How long is the line?
Sometime while traveling at 6 knots, toss a piece of biodegradable paper overboard and note how quickly it reaches the end of your line. Can you recover from the shock of falling overboard in time to grab the line?
Next tie a 2 gallon bucket to a 40 foot line and toss it overboard to fill with water, after letting the line out, pull it back onboard. This is only 20 lbs and you weigh 180 lbs,.

I agree with boatman, only take risks that are acceptable to you.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:27   #20

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20 S&S ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to sailinlee

Well I don't really have a retirement plan, so no need to be tethered all the time I'm out on deck. It's more dangerous driving in LA or NYC traffic then working on deck. We're all going to die of something sooner or later. If you worry about it too much it will probably happen. Enjoy life, be careful, tether when it's necessary and don't when it isn't.

Lee
Old 04-06-2011, 08:55   #21

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

If you go single handing and fall over the side....into the water and its windy and the boats going fast... you are not pulling yourself onboard again..... We tried it off the back of my boat... try it one day.. no chance. However.... Fastfind 210 GPS PLB. 24 hours of transmit time..... at least someone will know you need help and for example.. instead of floating around until you die of hypothermia or whatever.... 10 minutes after you turn this thing on... they will be working out if there is anyone near you to go get you.
$ 350.oo USD..... 5 year battery. Cheap when you think about the other options......
Old 04-06-2011, 09:01   #22

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingaway221 View Post
If you go single handing and fall over the side....into the water and its windy and the boats going fast... you are not pulling yourself onboard again..... We tried it off the back of my boat... try it one day.. no chance. However.... Fastfind 210 GPS PLB. 24 hours of transmit time..... at least someone will know you need help and for example.. instead of floating around until you die of hypothermia or whatever.... 10 minutes after you turn this thing on... they will be working out if there is anyone near you to go get you.
$ 350.oo USD..... 5 year battery. Cheap when you think about the other options......
I agree, and the best prevention is tether/harness/jacklines used %100 of the time on deck.

Accepting risk is one thing, but doing nothing to mitigate the risk is not smart IMHO.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:02   #23

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

Make sure your jack-lines and tether prevent you from going over the side.... they should keep you onboard.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:53   #24

Boat: contessa 32

read of a guy who fell overboard mid pacific. saved himself by getting a wrap around himself with the heavy fish line he was trolling. He kept thinking of the hook at the end of the line. couldn't have been going very fast.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:01   #25

There was a couple of bareboat charter folks who were rescued off the west coast of St Lucia. They'd been treading water for three hours and were naked. Their story was that they were sunbathing on the deck when a rogue wave washed them overboard.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:21   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Autotether would be the solution, if we can get them to hook it to auto pilots too. Or a release for the mainsheet. I'm sure I could rig something up myself!
How it Works - autotether.com

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:33   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Autotether would be the solution, if we can get them to hook it to auto pilots too. Or a release for the mainsheet. I'm sure I could rig something up myself!
How it Works - autotether.com
What's next, helmets in case you get hit with the boom?

Why don't we concentrate on staying on the boat, instead of trying to figure out how to shift the responsiblity for our life on some electronic device which may or may not work underwater if the batteries stay charged.

We must have some generational thing going on here about responsiblity..
Old 04-06-2011, 11:07   #28

Boat: C&C 41

A few years ago, in winter, someone in the local pub noticed a sailboat in Howe Sound that did not quite look right. Upon closer inspection with binoculars, there appeared to be nobody at the helm and an object being towed that did not look like a dingy. A boat was dispatched to investigate and found that the owner had somehow gone overboard but was tethered and wearing a survival suit while singlehanding. He did not have the strength to re-board so just layed back and got towed around until someone found him. Happy ending.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:33   #29
STG

Boat: Coronado 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
There was a couple of bareboat charter folks who were rescued off the west coast of St Lucia. They'd been treading water for three hours and were naked. Their story was that they were sunbathing on the deck when a rogue wave washed them overboard.
LMAO! So many pictures come to mind.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:51   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panaseaya View Post
"...lines outboard down each side of the boat. Not sure how easy they would be to use..."

Very difficult to grab (luck), even with a bowl'n on the end. And it is not easy or fun to be towed at 6 knots if ya manage to get ahold...on yer back is easier to breathe - it is difficult to haul yourself back, and very very difficult to get back on deck.
The lines are attached from bow to stern, with the bight of the rope at water level.
I'm always on a lifeline, if I go over the rail with a lifeline, I'm hoping the ropes would help me get a foothold and assist in getting back onboard

nigel1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboard, singlehanding

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: