Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2015, 17:54   #1

Boat: Albin 25
Shore power rules

My marina offers mostly 15 amp service dockside with regular 3-prong 15-amp style receptacles. I do not have AC power on board except for a battery charger that comes with 3-prong power cord. The marina requires us to use the normal Marinco-type yellow cords that come with a 30-amp locking plug. The use of that cord requires me to place a 30-to-15 adapter on each end. Is there a point to this? the adapted plug on shore can slip out even more easily than a normal 10 gauge cord with a regular 3 prong plug because it is heavier and bulkier.

Is there a reason for this requirement other than the quality of the cord itself (which can be achieved otherwise)? Is this a legal requirement or an insurance requirement?
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 04:39   #2

Re: Shore power rules

I would consider refusing and plug in a standard extension cord (outdoor rated to handle 15amp) then when they complain I would make a show of trying to plug in the 30amp cord into the 15amp outlet and then ask them if they can get it to fit.

With adapters on both ends, there is no way they can claim it is better than using a proper 15amp outdoor rated cord directly.

Never heard of enforcing a cord rule before. We often run the crock pot on the back deck with a second smaller cord. Keeps the heat out of the cabin and doesn't stress the main 30 amp breaker when the air/con is running.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 05:16   #3

Probably an insurance requirement. But really, what difference does it make? Their marina, their rules. They can make up whatever rules they feel like, whether they make any sense or not. You can try to get them to change the rule, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 05:17   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Sounds like they have a case of stupid. Adding adapters doesn't make anything safer. If they are not going to use locking cords, at most they sould require a minimum gauge and that the ends be secured.

Are they GFI?
Old 24-07-2015, 05:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Probably an insurance requirement. But really, what difference does it make? Their marina, their rules. They can make up whatever rules they feel like, whether they make any sense or not. You can try to get them to change the rule, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Good luck.
If it's an insurance requirement, I'm certain it's a misreading of that requriement. No insurance company is going to require the use of adapters. If it's in there, it is probably based on the assumption that the pedestals have 30amp plugs.

When it doesn't make a difference, marina gets to make the rules. When it makes it less safe, they don't get to make the rules.
Old 24-07-2015, 07:11   #6

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

There should be a code requirement for locking receptacles on the shore power outlets. If that's the case, you could be opening up a can of worms for them (and you, too, for your boat) if you report it.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 10:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
When it makes it less safe, they don't get to make the rules.
Yeah, actually, they do (unless there are laws about it, which there usually are not). Then you get to decide if you want to live with their rules or go somewhere else.
Old 24-07-2015, 10:47   #8

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider View Post
...the adapted plug on shore can slip out even more easily than a normal 10 gauge cord...
No, it can't, by virtue of the retaining screw.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 12:52   #9

Quote:
Yeah, actually, they do (unless there are laws about it, which there usually are not). Then you get to decide if you want to live with their rules or go somewhere else.
Oh they can write all the rules they like but when it's something stuipd like this, they get to explain themselves and quickly come to the conclusion that the rule was stupid.
Old 27-07-2015, 05:56   #10

Quote:
Oh they can write all the rules they like but when it's something stuipd like this, they get to explain themselves and quickly come to the conclusion that the rule was stupid.
Come into my business, and demand that I explain myself, and all you will get is me telling you to go get stuffed. That's my prerogative as the owner. And your only prerogative as the customer is to take your business elsewhere. You don't get to tell me when or how I have to explain myself.

Is this really that complicated?
Old 27-07-2015, 06:06   #11

Boat: Roberts 57 Schooner

My kids think a lot of the stuff I tell them to do is dumb... but you know, my house, my rules.

Oh how I would love to see one of them attempt to demand I explain myself.
pwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 11:00   #12

Quote:
Come into my business, and demand that I explain myself, and all you will get is me telling you to go get stuffed. That's my prerogative as the owner. And your only prerogative as the customer is to take your business elsewhere. You don't get to tell me when or how I have to explain myself.

Is this really that complicated?
Spoken like someone who has never run a buisness.
Old 28-07-2015, 13:29   #13

Quote:
Spoken like someone who has never run a buisness.
Spoken like someone who does not know me and, therefore, hasn't got the least clue what they're talking about.

It really is not that complicated. Try to stick with me here. You can ask the business owner for an explanation, and you may get one. Or you may not. Their business, their rules, their decision as to whether they want to humor you, or just tell you to take your business elsewhere. You, as the customer, do not get to decide these things. You only get to decide if you will do business with them or not.

I have now explained this as simply and clearly as I can. If you still don't "get it" then I'm afraid there's nothing more that I can do to help you understand.
Old 28-07-2015, 21:44   #14

Quote:
Spoken like someone who does not know me and, therefore, hasn't got the least clue what they're talking about.

It really is not that complicated. Try to stick with me here. You can ask the business owner for an explanation, and you may get one. Or you may not. Their business, their rules, their decision as to whether they want to humor you, or just tell you to take your business elsewhere. You, as the customer, do not get to decide these things. You only get to decide if you will do business with them or not.

I have now explained this as simply and clearly as I can. If you still don't "get it" then I'm afraid there's nothing more that I can do to help you understand.
I get what you are saying. I got it 3 posts ago. You are under the mistaken impression that buisness owners can do truely stupid things, not explain them to the customers and still be successful.

Once you put it to an actual buisness owner to explain why they want you to use adapters, 99% will be embaresed that they didn't think it thru and appologize. The other 1% are looking to go bankrupt because they do stupid things.
Old 29-07-2015, 06:13   #15

Quote:
You are under the mistaken impression that buisness owners can do truely stupid things...
Not a "mistaken impression" at all. Business owners CAN do truly stupid things. Most don't. And those who do don't usually stay in business very long. But it is you who are mistaken if you think that business owners CANNOT do truly stupid things.

What's more, you are the one who said "they don't get to make the rules," and "they get to explain themselves." As if somehow YOU get to make the rules? As if somehow you can FORCE them to give you an explanation? No, once again you are mistaken. They get to make the rules. If the rules are stupid then they will listen to customers and change the rules, or be out of business very soon. Either way, it's their choice. They most certainly DO get to make the rules for their business.

Again, it really is not that complicated. And with that, having no inclination to beat my head against a brick wall, I'm done.

Tags
rule, shore power