Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 16:03   #1

Boat: 1968 Sparkman and Stephens. '1 ton' 36 ft, Kauri
Send a message via Skype™ to Saltyrope
Series Drogues

I am interested in what owners of series drogues have to say about them.
In researching series drogues I found Ace sails have the patent to call theirs Jordan Series Drogues and the ones available from Sailrite, Oceanbrake and Seriesdrogue can call them 'series drogues'
Dave Pelisser of Ace Sails was the person who picked up the ball and ran with it, working with Don Jordan, and later the others started manufacturing the cones and kits etc. Ok, now to the crunch. Dave has his cones sewn up in China and checks every one before sending them out and rejects any that are not up to scratch. Good way to keep prices down.
I bought 61 cones from Roddy Coleman and Oceanbrake via ebay, also I have been told sewn up in China. Of those 61 bought so far only eight have the tapes spaced equally around the cone. Now that I look at the photo on ebay I can see the three tapes when the cone is folded flat. The spacing between tape 1 and tape 2 is twice the distance between tapes 2 and 3 and tapes 3 and 1. Roddy has a good feed back rating and I have contacted him. He is going to sort out the problem when he is back from his week away. The question is, however: What should we expect from our series drogues? In Hawaii series drogues are used to stabilize buoys but are made of Dacron I believe. For constant use what should we be looking for in material, strength, stitching etc. 2.2 oz ripstop nylon? Dacron? Taped over the top and bottom seams. So far I have found a good Sailrite video tutorial and Dave Pelisser has suggested that heavier duty material could be used for constant use. What I am specifically looking for is something that in a storm is not going to come apart, and some technical information on material, thread, type of stitching etc.
All information, experience with drogues, rodes used, manufacture of drogues, strength, standard of construction etc will be appreciated.
Saltyrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:28   #2

Boat: 1968 Sparkman and Stephens. '1 ton' 36 ft, Kauri
Send a message via Skype™ to Saltyrope
Re: Series Drogues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyrope View Post
I am interested in what owners of series drogues have to say about them.
In researching series drogues I found Ace sails have the patent to call theirs Jordan Series Drogues and the ones available from Sailrite, Oceanbrake and Seriesdrogue can call them 'series drogues'
Dave Pelisser of Ace Sails was the person who picked up the ball and ran with it, working with Don Jordan, and later the others started manufacturing the cones and kits etc. Ok, now to the crunch. Dave has his cones sewn up in China and checks every one before sending them out and rejects any that are not up to scratch. Good way to keep prices down.
I bought 61 cones from Roddy Coleman and Oceanbrake via ebay, also I have been told sewn up in China. Of those 61 bought so far only eight have the tapes spaced equally around the cone. Now that I look at the photo on ebay I can see the three tapes when the cone is folded flat. The spacing between tape 1 and tape 2 is twice the distance between tapes 2 and 3 and tapes 3 and 1. Roddy has a good feed back rating and I have contacted him. He is going to sort out the problem when he is back from his week away. The question is, however: What should we expect from our series drogues? In Hawaii series drogues are used to stabilize buoys but are made of Dacron I believe. For constant use what should we be looking for in material, strength, stitching etc. 2.2 oz ripstop nylon? Dacron? Taped over the top and bottom seams. So far I have found a good Sailrite video tutorial and Dave Pelisser has suggested that heavier duty material could be used for constant use. What I am specifically looking for is something that in a storm is not going to come apart, and some technical information on material, thread, type of stitching etc.
All information, experience with drogues, rodes used, manufacture of drogues, strength, standard of construction etc will be appreciated.
Wow, what great service. Roddy and Oceanbrake have sorted the one off problem out. The ebay photos now show the correct tape spacing and I am impressed with the way the drogues are reinfrced with tape top and bottom.
Saltyrope is offline   Reply With Quote