Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2014, 13:04   #31

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Seizures and Sailboats. Do They Mix?

I fully agree with the consensus of the group that you should not be in charge of a vessel without somebody else there who can take over.

However, if you have netting on the lifelines, a tether, and 3-5 seconds warning, that sounds like plenty of time to give a shout or press an alarm (if the other person is down below or asleep) and lie down where ever you are. You'll stay on the boat, and the other person can take over.

So I don't really see an issue with sailing with seizures if you get a bit of warning, it's the solo sailing that is an absolute no-go to me. And I sure don't think you should be behind the wheel of a car, either! No way you can guarantee you can pull over into a safe area in time.

Most of us end up having to deal with some sort of limitations in life, and you're far better off adapting to them than fighting or denying them.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 13:58   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ujin,

FWIW, I think 2 wind's post offers you a whole lot of hope, s/he certainly laid out the downside of temporal lobe epilepsy grand mal seizures. Perhaps that knowledge will provide you some motivation to try and get help.

In my own life, there have been physical problems that eventually forced themselves up enough in my consciousness that I quit denying them and sought help. So far, I've been pretty lucky with the help working. If you're in that denial stage, maybe 2 wind's and newt's posts will encourage you along the way. I hope so, because it does sound as if there is competent help available.

Remember, nobody promised us perfect health throughout our lifetime. It's how you handle this situation that will count for you.

I bet by now, you have an idea how to approach the situation.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 15-07-2014, 15:19   #33

Boat: Cal 2-30

So, people with seizures should not be in control of any moving object unless they can afford to hire a caretaker to monitor them during that time.

Okay, I'm good with that.
And that is a very reasonable solution.

So what about a system that integrates GPS, radar, perhaps EPIRB, and autopilot wrapped up and similar to how the Google car is piloted plus interfaces with an IR module which, in essence, reads body function. The lack of body function or at levels that would indicate problems the system takes over automatically as another person would do.

Does that constitute another person?

Does that then make it safe?

Maybe health insurance could pay for that and that would make it more affordable than hiring a caretaker?

I think this is a great discussion and it has put out a lot more information than I would have ever thought possible.

I also reached out to some of the nonprofits that work with people with seizures. As I hear back from them I ll post it here.
Ujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 15:53   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't really understand why this debate is still going.

The OP says he is OK to drive. If he thinks it is OK to drive and doctors agree I just don't see why sailing is a problem.
Old 15-07-2014, 16:09   #35

If you have only 3 to 5 seconds warning, how can it possibly be safe to be driving?
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 16:26   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't really understand why this debate is still going.

The OP says he is OK to drive. If he thinks it is OK to drive and doctors agree I just don't see why sailing is a problem.

I don't want to get into a situation where I am insinuating untruths when not in full possession of all the facts. All I have here is what has been said by the OP. This might be a full and complete disclosure. On the other hand it might be a partial rendition. Or perhaps this is just his interpretation of the situation influenced by partial truths and a disregard to issues that do not sit well with his personal view of the condition and of his responsibilities. No disrespect intended.

So the issues you "don't understand" relates to whether he truely has been advised that he can drive without concern, whether that advice is sound/correct and appropriately sourced, and whether advice to the contary has been ignored. I don't know. But the facts as outlined suggest that he should not be driving - full stop!
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 16:47   #37

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I suggest you only sail with at least one other person who is capable of sailing single-handed and is capable of assisting you in a seizure.
Old 15-07-2014, 17:01   #38
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post

So the issues you "don't understand" relates to whether he truely has been advised that he can drive without concern, whether that advice is sound/correct and appropriately sourced, and whether advice to the contary has been ignored. I don't know.

If you aren't going to believe the original poster, why continue the discussion?
Old 15-07-2014, 17:02   #39

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I suggest you only sail with at least one other person who is capable of sailing single-handed and is capable of assisting you in a seizure.
Yeah, but, Mark,

Two people would be necessary if the OP is to have care during a seizure: one for the boat (as you suggest, single hand capable) and another for a caregiver.

IMO, no machine will be able to do both those jobs in the foreseeable future.

Ann
Old 15-07-2014, 17:09   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If you aren't going to believe the original poster, why continue the discussion?
I stand corrected. Thank you.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 17:18   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Yeah, but, Mark,

Two people would be necessary if the OP is to have care during a seizure: ...
I can't disagree. Two would be better than one.
Old 15-07-2014, 17:19   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujin View Post
So, people with seizures should not be in control of any moving object unless they can afford to hire a caretaker to monitor them during that time.

Okay, I'm good with that.
And that is a very reasonable solution.

So what about a system that integrates GPS, radar, perhaps EPIRB, and autopilot wrapped up and similar to how the Google car is piloted plus interfaces with an IR module which, in essence, reads body function. The lack of body function or at levels that would indicate problems the system takes over automatically as another person would do.

Does that constitute another person?

Does that then make it safe?

Maybe health insurance could pay for that and that would make it more affordable than hiring a caretaker?

I think this is a great discussion and it has put out a lot more information than I would have ever thought possible.

I also reached out to some of the nonprofits that work with people with seizures. As I hear back from them I ll post it here.

That sounds awfully complicated, but surely a "kill" switch for the engine and an autopilot that would be commanded to go hard over would work wouldn't it?
Just thinking out loud, not abdicating anything, I have no understanding of seizures thank God,
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 17:20   #43

Boat: Catalina 30

What's the difference between someone disabled
by a seizure for a while and someone singlehanding
going to sleep for awhile?
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 17:28   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
Largely depends on where one is sailing. In the middle of an empty ocean or in confined/busy waters?
Old 15-07-2014, 17:41   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That sounds awfully complicated, but surely a "kill" switch for the engine and an autopilot that would be commanded to go hard over would work wouldn't it?
Just thinking out loud, not abdicating anything, I have no understanding of seizures thank God,
How about a car steering system that locks the car in a right turn?

WTF - What if OP is in a marina? A shipping channel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
The person sleeping can usually choose when to go to sleep - i.e. not in the aforementioned shipping channel or marina.

BTW - I am not a big fan of single-handing but I understand it - However there is no denying it. It is illegal to single hand.

Not saying it isn't done and done as safely as possible but the regs require a lookout and that is impossible to do, unless one decides their AIS or radar is part of the "crew"
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat