Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2015, 08:58   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Seeking foul weather gear advice for Gulf of Mexico

We got totally fed up with expensive wet weather gear that simply leaks after a couple of years. Goretex does not work after a few seasons. The membrane breaks down. I know some genius shall write in saying they have have had Goretex work for them since the dinosaurs roamed freely but that is not correct for gear that gets used and is stored normally. We have been through all the major makes and sitting in a puddle of water soaked through does not appeal to us. We now use Nikwax gear for most of the time and it works well ashore. It is easy to re-proof and it breathes well. For long periods of time when sitting on watch (e.g. not doing vigerous exercise) we use our traditional oilies - yeah, the proper heavy duty yellow reinforced PVC stuff that you see off-shore fisherman and many professional seamen wearing. It never leaks, is easy to keep mould free and is comparatively cheap. It is also remarkedly tough and warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaon View Post
I need to obtain some decent foul-weather gear for a trip this February sailing from Punta Gorda, Fl to Belize via Key West and Cancun on a friend's Morgan 38. It's only the two of us I so I'll be working.

I'm a 60 y/o retired guy who doesn't presently own a boat of any sort but I do sail on OPBs during Michigan summers and hope to relocate to FL to do more someday. The only stores I know of close to the Detroit area where I live that sell FWG for sailors is West Marine.

I assume I'll need a jacket, pants & boots....anything else? I would greatly appreciate any and all advice regarding this important and expensive acquisition including the following:
Coastal or off-shore?
Bibs or pants?
Sizing? Color? Features? Boots?
Brands to consider/brands to avoid?
Approximate amount of $ I should expect to spend?
Good & not so good places to buy from?
Do I need to try it on before I buy? Buying online? Used?

Thanks much!
Terry
Livonia, MI
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 09:46   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe the 303 fabric protector would even waterproof a pair of jeans. I bought used foul wx gear and waterproofed it with the 303 and it works great, I think most any fabric will eventually lose some of it's water repellency, but the 303 restores it, don't buy new before you try it

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 10:03   #18

Boat: Seafarer36c

All this talk of foul weather and knock downs is do doubt stuff you might suffer well north of MX and Belize but once down there I have never seen anyone wearing anything but shorts and maybe a rain jacket during the day and long pants at night.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 12:35   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Gill makes a long lightweight jacket that is about all the foul weather gear needed here in Hawaii. The jacket is long enough that it covers down to almost my knees. Perfect to keep you dry wearing shorts. Got the idea from a picture of an old time sailor wearing a long slicker and tall boots. Once you get far enough south to steer clear of the occasional winter freeze, staying dry competes as much with not overheating. You really only need something to stay dry mostly at night. Full on foul wx bibs and jacket are just too warm.
Gill NA - IN31 Inshore Lite Jacket Long

Sympathize with those sailing in cooler regions where staying warm and dry are a major issue almost year round. That's not the case where ocean water temp never drops below 70 degrees. It's a yin and yang thing weather it's best to just go naked and comfortable or dry and overheated. Mostly use the long jacket at night when evaporation can get you a bit chilly,
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 15:18   #20

Boat: Bristol 35.5

frogg toggs on ebay about 20 bucks get larger and go with layers under
Old 19-11-2015, 15:32   #21

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

Terry - PM me. I live in West Bloomfield and if you want I can show you my foul weather and safety equipment I use offshore. Alan
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 15:54   #22

Boat: Hunter 30

This may sound really weird but mask and snorkel. If the boat doesn't have a dodger you will need it. You live in PG and you know how much rain we can get in a few minutes. Before I had a dodger I thought I was going to drown standing behind the wheel.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 16:09   #23

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

A few suggestions from one who never sails to cold areas ......only the Great Barrier Reef.....Torres strait.......Darwin......Indonesia......and the Philippines........

.......if its warm and raining,always have a long sleeve shirt on underneath the jacket.

.......my very handiest item is a pair of 'Bib and Brace' wet weather pants.but cut off just below the knee.....looks funny.....keeps backside dry.

grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 20:11   #24

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Great advice, some not so. Please believe that a rain coat just won't do in the tropics. In June, I sweat for 3 days ashore and leaving on the 4th around 10am, it started raining. I had a t-shirt, rain jacket and shorts on. I was so cold after the soaking that I was miserable, and we were 2 miles in on a 1400 mile trip. Please pack some warmth, you never know.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 09:37   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLewis View Post
Great advice, some not so. Please believe that a rain coat just won't do in the tropics. In June, I sweat for 3 days ashore and leaving on the 4th around 10am, it started raining. I had a t-shirt, rain jacket and shorts on. I was so cold after the soaking that I was miserable, and we were 2 miles in on a 1400 mile trip. Please pack some warmth, you never know.
True, you can still get chilled in the Tropics, but layering effectively (polypro fleece for example) addresses that issue and allows you to cool off when it warms back up.

I do still have some of my heavy old offshore gear just in case, but haven't used it much in over a decade in the Tropics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1448818827551.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	114038  
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 21:23   #26

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

I get most of my foul weather gear from an army navy store. I love my light weight, ultra yellow (Get your @$$ over here and save me yellow) oil skin jacket. Water tight and comfortable whether I have a few other layers underneath or just an undershirt. I also have a canvas hat I spray waterproofing on once a year, although you may find more use for a good large brimmed straw hat for most of the time. Id honestly just pick up something light, waterproof and yellow pack a fleece and worry more about over exposure to the sun.

Sent from my N9130 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 00:37   #27

Boat: youngquist viking 34

If you get boots get good ones for traction. The comercial fishermen in alaska are fussy about theirs. I dont recall the prefered brand but slipping on a wet deck can be a fatal mistake.
As to the other hear you might check a rafting, kyaking shop. Durable gear, lets you move, designed for warm activity in cold water. Packs well.
wooden head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:57   #28

Funny thing abou Goretex. Like many things it life that work well it requires maintenance to keep working well. I heard something once about how dirt particles can get into the micro-pores and wick moisture through the membrane.

Ever notice those washing instruction labels sewn on the inside of your garments? They're there for a reason. Do as they say and you will get a lot more enjoyment from your expensive Goretex foulies.

Also, surprise surprise, Goretex fabrics have a water repellent coating on the outside that wears off and needs to be reapplied.

Restoring Water Repellency - GORE-TEX® Products
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 21:00   #29

Thanks for the great input all! I have plenty of layers but no bibs, so I'll get a decent pair of bibs for sure. The older I get the less I like being cold so I think I'll look for a medium-weight jacket with some length and a good hood & collar and then use under-layers I already have. I appreciate all the helpful advice! I'm headed to PG next week to work on the boat and think I'll start my shopping down there.

Happy Holidaze and Wind in your Sails!
Terry
phaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 14:23   #30

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Phaon,
It is better to be prepared for cold weather than not to be prepared. As others have mentioned, layering is important. If you catch a Norther in February in the Gulf, it will be bitterly cold. My recommendations:
1.) mid-weight self-wicking thermal top and bottoms. Get a top that
has a zipper neck to allow for heat release when warm- $100. or less
2.) medium weight thermal wicking socks--$20.00
3.) wool or synthetic watch cap--$20.00
4.) waterproof sailing gloves--$50.00
5.) light weight wool/synthetic wicking v-neck sweater--$50.00
6.) Polar fleece jacket--$50.00
7.) Polartec fleece pants with zippers at legs $50.-$60.00
The above items will keep you warm in dry weather. If it rains, the Frog Toggs, others have mentioned, or a breathable rain suit--$100. or less can be worn over your clothing. Boots are not necessary if you have any waterproof self-wicking shoe. The total cost for these items, new, is less than $400. if you have to buy everything.
The key is self-wicking layering clothes that can be worn in several combinations to suit the weather. The above items can be packed with your warm weather clothing in a medium sized duffel bag with room to spare. There is no substitute for warmth on a cold watch. Good luck and safe sailing.

Tags
foul weather gear, gear, gulf of mexico, Mexico, weather