Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 06:10   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Security Tactics Actually Used

Lots of discussion here on CF about theoretical means of increasing security. Im interested in hearing what tactics fellow cruisers have actually used in a threatening situation aboard a boat.

For me, fortunately Ive never had to act "in anger" while cruising. I have a friend whose boat was boarded late at night, a very well secured mono with heavy secured hatches, he was down below and armed, but the theives were unable to get in, they just stole a few minor things off deck and left. This defensive approach worked for him.

What has worked for you?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:16   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Some technical details would be interesting, I'm looking towards some form of sensor system, maybe linked to the guard rails with pressure pads. Early days. But definitely looking at something which can make a lot of noise and light before anyone gets fully on board.

(I've been boarded before and can say from sample of one that the best thing to do is to sleep through it.)
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:03   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Security Tactics Actually Used

I like the defensive approach as well. Lock yourself in and have decklights and maybe even a siren that can be activated.

Let's not turn this into another gun thread. Using the Search feature can take you down that path.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:54   #4
cruiser

Have a good defense, deck lights, horn, good locking hatches above on deck; anchor smart, and have a good offense planned below decks involving whatever weapons are legal where you're at. Guns in America, knives elsewhere.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:05   #5

Situational awareness can go a long way, although the faster you move around the harder it is to know the story about the places you end up.

The few times I saw shady guys around, which honestly were probably just laborers or loiterers (the latter of which there are a lot out of the industrialized world) I spent time on deck every 30-60 minutes.

Big flashlight, lighting everything up on the shore, looking around in the water. Just trying to not appear like a simple target they can roll up to, rob, and leave.

The last time someone tried to rob me was a couple of years ago when I was walking through downtown San Diego, on Broadway, tourist district, 3pm, weekday.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:25   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have actually used bright light, loud voice, and threat of melon squashing with a base ball bat with ss gaff. they left. no problem.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:34   #7

I like the million candle power light action. It can be pretty disconcerting trying to stumble around the deck of a boat when you cant see and assume you are about to be beheaded by a shot gun blast.
What I actually did was the companionway bars with a lock inside, and I used a radio shack trip alarm. Great little device for $10. 9V battery operated and super loud. Just tie the device on side and run a stout fishing line to the other side of the cockpit, deck, swim step or whatever. The offender trips the wire and the alarm can be heard very loud.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:04   #8

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Hi You two...

Peninsula de Paria in Venezuela:
Tactic, anchored in a group of 3 boats, close. Split watches between 2 people each on three boats. From dusk till dawn played searchlight around the 3 of us every 10 minutes or so.
Haiti:
Tactic, used Radar on 1/4 mile setting, circular guard zone, two boats inside the GZ.
03h15, radar alarm, called other boat on VHF, synchronized count-down to two searchlights illuminating the canoe, with two pot.perps. paddling with machetes as paddles. Went after them in dinghy.....still have the one machete.
La Linea:
Tactic, IR motion sensor scanning the dink and its chain. Mounted up under the Solar Panels on stern arch. Alarm went off, went up with searchlight and a spray of some description. Found Camo-pattern-wetsuited swimmer with loooong fins, mask and snorkel hiding under boomkin. Pretended to NOT see him, but called to Mate, "Bring me the shotgun" Switched off the light and hid, noticed swimmer departing and he joined a large powerboat downwind.

We also do a lot of booby traps. We also would NOT put lights on if they got inside= home field advantage. There is advantage to small confined spaces=machetes are hard to swing. The best hand weapons for confined spaces are poking or prodding tools. Projection type non lethal weapons can include Fire Extinguishers, mace, tazers, etc. A hammer is good. A bright LED flashlight ruins night vision, so shut your eyes momentarily when you dazzle them.(Do not hold light in front of you) If there is any conversation, when they start using single syllable words, or single words, attack is imminent (they are in tunnel vision mode) Strike while they are talking.

From military training, I suggest, Threat appraisal, Zone of detection, Zone of exclusion, etc...

A dog is wonderful, even a recorded one on the stereo.

Use everything, think defence, be recognized as a hard target. The vast majority of these guys are not in it for a fight.

Be aware.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:05   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

spreader lights with motion detector is next on my list of security stuff--that way they be lit up before i show face and .....others see also who was on board.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:15   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hudson 50 and Formossa 51

a hand saw is a great weapon ,,,,,,,,you try and take it off me! good handgrip! and legal.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:27   #11

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

High Intensity Discharge floodlamps, at the spreaders and arch, turn nighttime into daylight, and can be controlled by a switch at your bunk. A second switch can be installed to actuate the 130 decibel alarm siren (with driver). These can also, using a simple solenoid, be connected to a simple home alarm system with multiple zones. Someone who opens a deck hatch, cuts a small cable attached to the dink or outboard, or even sets off the passive infrared detector, sets off both the alarm and the deck lights. Another zone, for the boat's core, can be activated for when you are not aboard. Daylight switches automatically disengage the lamps when it's bright outside. Bad guys don't want attention brought on them, especially it they are temporarily blinded and deafened and surprised. These are simple, relatively cheap and dependable options for all boats, cruising and resident in a home community. Adding a camera system with recording capacity provides the authorities with additional tools to find and deal with the bad boys.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
a hand saw is a great weapon ,,,,,,,,you try and take it off me! good handgrip! and legal.
Ive made some pretty good self inflicted wounds with a hand saw, but never actually used one as weapon...have you?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post

Adding a camera system with recording capacity provides the authorities with additional tools to find and deal with the bad boys.
How many bad boys have you turned over to authorities using these techniques?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I like the defensive approach as well. Lock yourself in and have decklights and maybe even a siren that can be activated.

Let's not turn this into another gun thread. Using the Search feature can take you down that path.
No, lets not...unless you have actually shot someone aboard your boat. Remember, actual active threatening events only.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have actually used bright light, loud voice, and threat of melon squashing with a base ball bat with ss gaff. they left. no problem.
Good. Actual event.

Actively destroying the element of surprise I think is very effective....especially by an angry woman a sharp object (gaff).

I snuck up behind a potential intruder in the very dark wee hours one night and whispered in his ear "Can I help you with something?"...think he soiled himself during his hasty exit.