Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2008, 06:31   #76

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I prefer to use the Point-Of-View gun. So far I've only had 2 dinghies "appropriated", one at Soper's Hole in the BVI and the other within hours of having purchased the replacement dinghy and outboard in St. Martin. Luckily for me (and perhaps for them) in neither case did they attempt to board.
Although it might not be politically correct to admit it, when in crowded anchorages I will choose my position not only by wind, weather and bottom but will try to be close to another boat that, if I were a no-goodnick, I would consider to be a "prime target". One doesn't need to be able to outrun a lion as long as one is a bit faster than the other prey.
Old 24-08-2008, 07:01   #77

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Hud2 is correct, and I tried to bring it back on track earlier by suggesting we hear from people who have actually experienced a boat boarding, and how they handled it. Out of our 15,000 or so members, how many have actually had a boarding? Knowing this might also bring it into perspective.
Old 24-08-2008, 18:08   #78
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
This should throw some gas on the fahr (fire)

www.wbal.com/apps/news/templates/news.aspx?articleid=11499&zoneid=2

Fahr is how the prounounce fire in Baltimore (Bawlmer)

Bawlmer City Fahr 'partment, and Amlance
Old 24-08-2008, 19:30   #79
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Hud2 is correct, and I tried to bring it back on track earlier by suggesting we hear from people who have actually experienced a boat boarding, and how they handled it. Out of our 15,000 or so members, how many have actually had a boarding? Knowing this might also bring it into perspective.
Jolly Roger,

I have experienced a serious violent boarding at anchor where the fist action by the intruders was to shoot one of my crew.

How we handled the outcome is meaningless to this discussion as every event has its own special circumstances and you cannot lump them into any golden rule.

We were able to repel the 5 intruders without any further injury to my crew by being prepared and trained to respond with decisive action that I would never discuss in public.

I think the frustration with this thread subject… is that unless you have experienced some other person trying to kill you, the mind refuses to believe that you could ever take another life. It is such an ingrained taboo!

This relates to anywhere (your home/office) not just boats, which is why opinions here get so forcibly argued on measures to prevent you and your family, from being violated!

However, a key security decision that individual cruisers must decide can be likened to this question: “If you had to fight a serious life threatening fire… would you want the best fire extinguisher on board and be trained on how to use it?”

No one can make that key decision for you or rationalize any golden rule.

That is just plain ridiculous! You decide and live (or die) with the consequences.
Old 24-08-2008, 21:03   #80

Boat: Islander 36
WOW. Thank you for sharing. And very well put.

I was thinking this morning about a post I put on another thread about verim coming aboard at night because we used to sleep with the companionway open in our marina.

I loved it, but so did the rats. Had to quit and I just got used to the idea.

As it relates to this thread, I enjoy sleeping in the cockpit or inside with the hatchboards out. It really deminishes the purpose we choose to live on boats if we do it living in fear. Of course you usually don't know you're in trouble until t's too late.

Here's to hopeing that we all find ourselves in safe anchorages every night. And that we can escape the other reality with our boats, not drugs.
Old 24-08-2008, 21:22   #81
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Here's to hopeing that we all find ourselves in safe anchorages every night. And that we can escape the other reality with our boats, not drugs.
Hear! Hear!:cubalibre
Old 24-08-2008, 21:39   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
We were able to repel the 5 intruders without any further injury to my crew by being prepared and trained to respond with decisive action that I would never discuss in public.
Would you mind telling us where you were when this happened? Thanks.
Old 25-08-2008, 00:57   #83
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Would you mind telling us where you were when this happened? Thanks.

A place very much to be avoided these days…….Chuuk or Truk Lagoon
Old 25-08-2008, 03:00   #84
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I think the frustration with this thread subject… is that unless you have experienced some other person trying to kill you, the mind refuses to believe that you could ever take another life. It is such an ingrained taboo!
The mind is a strange thing. I would add that a frequent one is that the mind refuses to beleive that someone is trying to kill you, especially in circumstances where it is unexpected and their is no "reason" that the mind can understand. Coupled with an inbuilt belief that "everything will work out ok" and simple disbelief that you are in mortal danger which plays a part in paralysis of thought from too many variables and options to quickly consider and none of the options with 100% guaranteed good outcomes. (It's what the training in your circumstances was intended to (and did!) overcome). It's why many victims go along with the criminals even though they fear what may come is worse, acquiesing means worse has not crystalised into now and avoids making the wrong decision by making no decisions. Few criminals at the start of a crime say drop your weapon, I am then going to tie you up and afterwards kill you. It's more of a process, that may, or may not lead to losing more than your valuables.

FWIW I think everybody can overcome the taboo on killing another person. The question is simply at what point, and then the question becomes whether this point is too soon or too late.

For sake of clarity, although I do like a "good guns and weapons" thread , I am not so much in the shoot on sight club (not in the gun lovers club) - more a case that I beleive that stuff like this (getting boarded) should be thought about, and whatever preparations you feel comfortable with be made in advance in - exactly the same way as folk plan for severe heavy weather - and just like that, then travel in the hope and expectation never to have to use their plans. and mostly they are right.

Of course if one was sailing into the Southern Ocean in Winter it would be prudent to prepare a bit more for Heavy Weather. and to expect it. But that depends on what sort of holiday experiance you like
Old 25-08-2008, 05:49   #85

Just for the record I wasn’t trying to lump every event into some golden rule – that would be absurd. Quite the opposite – I thought it would be helpful to hear individual accounts from folks who had actually had a boat boarding, instead of all the speculation from those who had not. This would show the rest of us (a), what happened, (b) how you felt afterwards, and what you did, (c) where it took place, (so where is Truk Lagoon anyway?).
Old 25-08-2008, 15:14   #86
CF Adviser

Jolly, Chuuk is a very large atoll in Micronesia famous for all the 110 Japanese wrecks sunk their in WWII during operation “Hailstorm”.

Look at this to give you an idea:
http://www.shanecurrie.id.au/Chuuk_Lagoon.htm

I have been going there since 1982 when I was the captain on Thorfinn and started that diving operation, delivering her between Vancouver and Micronesia along with the owner.

The locals in Truk are by nature a very aggressive people (the only “dry” island, with curfews in Micronesia because of this). (Tourist trinkets are knuckle busters made with shark’s teeth)

In 1997 unemployment was in the high 90%, drugs and violence rampant and the government was bankrupt, when I visited again on a Superyacht.

It had become much worse and the people were desperate, so we were already on high alert.

We left very quickly after that incident without bothering to clear out and found out later, ours was not an isolated case.

On hindsight I should have done better homework and never entered Chuuk in the first place, but it is such an incredible historical wreck paradise, that the attraction made me “rationalize” the risk
Old 25-08-2008, 16:20   #87
Eternal Member

Why doncha lock this thread down too?

I mean we are talking about micronesia now
Old 25-08-2008, 16:21   #88
Eternal Member

Bumpalicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
www.wbal.com/apps/news/templates/news.aspx?articleid=11499&zoneid=2

Fahr is how the prounounce fire in Baltimore (Bawlmer)

Bawlmer City Fahr 'partment, and Amlance
Ba dump bump.
Old 25-08-2008, 18:57   #89

I entirely agree, and I've done my bit to try to keep it on track. Where are all the other people with their personal boarding experiences? All we have mostly heard from is what we think we would do, given this or that, but if there are no more actual experiences, then this whole thread has become out of proportion and should close. See y'all on another page.
Old 25-08-2008, 22:29   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Outlived its half life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
See y'all on another page.
I agree with the previous posters and so I am gonna close this one down. We are way off the original topic.

Maybe start a Truk thread - Great diving there!
Closed Thread

Tags
security