Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2008, 20:43   #31

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Soaker squirtgun.
Old 20-08-2008, 20:58   #32

You have to be very careful using home brews least you get charged with assault with a caustic chemical. Hit them in the eyes and do serious lasting damage and you could find yourself not just being arrested, but in civil court being sued by the perp who tried to raid your boat.
Old 21-08-2008, 00:23   #33

Boat: Islander 36
Putawaywet,

That sounds like the American way the law works. I don't know how far that would go in a third world situation where most people wouldn't have access to lawyers. But you're right. You hopefully don't want to do permanent damage to anyone who is not planning to do physical damage to you. Well, you at least want to avoid the temptaion. But if you have the time to assess the situation, amonia in a soaker squirtgun sounds like a good idea. You could either chase away a thief, or take out an armed and dangerous intruder. The most difficult part would be hitting the non dangerous thief close enough to the eyes to have the most impact, without getting it in his eyes.

Then again, if he does loose his eyes, he'd have a hard time pointing you out to the police, if he even considered going to them.

Although I'm not crazy about taking out someone eyes for life, The thief made a bad choice by coming aboard your boat. If he gets way with it, good chance he will do the same again, and eventually do it with a weapon. This could go on and on with the possibilities. I can't pretend to have the answer. I only know I want to protect myself #1, and my precious debris#2.
Old 21-08-2008, 01:10   #34
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Just remember not to squirt upwind
Old 21-08-2008, 03:07   #35

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2divers View Post
It is my understanding that in a lot of locations outside the US pepper spray is also considered a 'weapon' and may be confiscated by the local authorities.
It i s sometimes(often?) considered the same way as a firearm would. They can do a lot more than confiscate it if you don't declare it to the customs.
Old 21-08-2008, 05:49   #36

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Squirt Bottle

Actually most of the industrial strength for cleaner is not 100%. It's about 40%. (more than enough to knock you on backside at first whiff). You dilute it to about 4% for cleaning purposes. I plan on looking for one of the little spritz bottles that hair stylist use. It will go from cloud to stream with a quick twist of the wrist and is pretty darn odor and leak proof in an upright postion. (my daughter tested this at home). When asked about it, it will be labeled as disinfectant spray.

The best part about it is that if you can hit them ANYWHERE in the upper torso they will get a strong dose. If the police ask why you sprayed them with the contents of this particular bottle the answer is that it was the first thing that came into your hand and while you feel sorry for any ill effects you might have caused, it was an accident as you were looking for the water bottle instead. Who's to say the difference in the dark?

From personal experience, I spilled a bottle of this stuff on the floor at work and had to clean it up. If you are expecting the smell, you can tolerate it for a surprising amount of time. Not to say that it was pleasant, nor OSHA approved, but I did get it cleaned up and pretty much burned out cold, allergy or flu out of my system for at least a month. Clean up is water and lots of it because ammonia is hydroscopic. First aid is rise with water to get it out of the mucus membranes and eyes. Pretty simple on a boat, push them over.

The effect in such a strong concentration will make you jerk like you've been hit by a bat and will likely make you drop anything in your hands (or at least keep it from being pointed effectively.)

I know postmen who use it this was to keep stray dogs at bay. They spray the ground in front of the animal and never have a worry. I've also met park rangers in the US who carry this stuff as bear repellent. I asked why not use the gun and they said that it was more effective than a gun for bear.

2divers
Old 21-08-2008, 09:14   #37

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
hte container iself and longevity of the pump mechanism would be of great concern to me.

Let us know if the bottle holds up.
Old 21-08-2008, 11:30   #38
Armchair Bucketeer

If I remember correctly WD40 and a ciggarette lighter makes a wicked flame thrower (short range!).....Of course they may have changed the formula now. or it was something else

Downside is not so many goes due to the nozzle melting. followed by finger
Old 21-08-2008, 18:54   #39
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
All this ammonia stuff.....I guess you don't ralize that YOU could be sued.....

Just like setting a trap for an intruder......not cool...you are liable for any injuries.
Old 22-08-2008, 02:39   #40

Chief Engineer,

Again, refering to my earlier post, The legal system we are used to is not the same as the legal system in a third world country. I don't think the bad guy has that option.

Having said that, I would be willing to risk a shot to the torso if an intruder came on my boat within US waters. He does not have good intent to start. What do we do? Make empty threats? Just hand it over?

Our system is screwed up. We are at risk both ways. But outside of the US, that same logic is probably not going to be what I'd be worried about.
Old 22-08-2008, 04:40   #41
cruiser

I have a gun for the USA.

When I finally, someday, can afford to cruise, my plan is to have passive resistance.

I will install a "strong room" in the boat that will not allow anyone to harm my wife and I.

Pirates are thieves, so they are not out to kill you unless they decide they have to. They want to get the $$ and run. I figure a strong room will keep us safe without violating any laws.
Old 22-08-2008, 05:08   #42
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Sean I'm with you on passive resistance. Using good sense about where you sail/anchor, followed by a good alarm system which not only turns on the spreader lights but also emits a very LOUD alarm should frighten off all but the most aggressive intruders. A hidden safe with a good 'fake' one is also useful - consider copies of boat registration, insurance, current passports (if you keep certified copies of them in your real safe they can be easily replaced and lets face ait, old passports will seldom fool anyone), a reasonably large stash of cash, a cancelled debit card and apparently current credit cards (sign up for them and then cancel them). And remember - no material thing is worth your life and the life of your crew. I, for one, have no intention of 'going down with my ship' for any reason.

Brad
Old 22-08-2008, 05:34   #43
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
PS The notion of a 'strong room', while initially appealing, has several serious drawbacks on a boat in my opinion:
1. It would need to be built out of steel or some comparable material in order to be impervious to penetration by shots from high powered rifles;
2. Very few vessels would be large enough to install one where its presence would not be easily detected;
3. Its very presence would likely convince armed intruders that you have valuables even greater than you are actually carrying;
4. Boats sink. It would not take much for a frustrated intruder to threaten to sink your vessel if you don't open up and then carry out that threat.
5. I can also see a frustrated intruder setting fire to your vessel before departing.

Anyway, it strikes me that it is best to make any intruder who is determined to carry on after being subject to deck lights and alarms believe that he has all of your valuables. Obviously expired passports and credit cards will only cause them to use a more destructive search for the real valuables. Your actual passports plus some new (but cancelled) credit cards, a reasonable amount of cash (say $500.00) plus a fake Rolex and some convincing fake jewelry will likely satisfy even the most persistant thief that he has made a big score.

Brad
Old 22-08-2008, 06:56   #44

Strong Room?

Maybe if you have a ship.

When I have to spend money on things I hope I neve have to use, I grit my teeth. I have spent a lot of money on things I think I might use, only to see them as ... taking up space, at best. Trashing my cruising money at worst.

If you plan to go cruising, building a strong room would be one way to push your plans back a ways.

Get out there, and don't live in fear.

I'm from Southern California. The place where lots of people believe you are risking your life to live. And if you understand what is going on around that never reaches the news, I don't blame them. Only a fraction of the murders make the news !!

I didn't feel unsafe there. A false sence of security can be a good thing. But I am probably safer now.

It always feels like you have been violated when someone gets to your stuff. We know that because we've all been violated at some time in our lives.

Just take reasonable precautions, set up reasonable deterents and try to enjoy a parnoia free existance.
Old 22-08-2008, 07:06   #45
cruiser

Ok, I guess I'll put more detail in:

The "strong room" wouldn't be the kind you'd find on land. Just a spot you can hide in while thieves take all your stuff.

Prevents the "face to face" confrontation.

Or course, steel wouldn't be used. Kevlar, maybe. Controls for the engine? Yes.

Of course, this is only if I felt I was cruising in very dangerous areas. I have yet to go somewhere in the world I felt was dangerous enough to warrant this type of extreme situation.

But... compared to all the squirt guns and improvised (and kind of whimpy) ways everyone comes up with for confronting the robbers, this is a good way to allow them to pilfer at their leisure while you are somewhat safely out of their way.

Ideally, they want to rob a boat with nobody aboard. This is the next best thing.
Closed Thread

Tags
security