Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-12-2014, 05:35   #16

Re: Seasickness more likely? Men? Women?

[QUOTE=GordMay;1696205]Robert M Stern, PhD, distinguished professor of psychology at Penn State University, has studied motion sickness for the past 15 years. Stern says that in his research, he found Asians are much more susceptible to motion sickness than whites or blacks. "That suggests there are genetic factors at work," he says........

Geez Gord, is there anything you don't know??

Old 10-12-2014, 05:39   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I did go on one trip in Florida, short sharp sea, constantly changing direction where everyone including me puked........ the women started first......

Only time I remember getting sea sick was 40 or so yrs ago, we were coming back in a small cabin fishing boat and had to tow someone as they were disabled, course speed was real slow and boring so I went below. Took about 20 min., I didn't puke but it's as sea sick as I have been so far.
Learning to fly a helicopter caused me to get almost sick every time I went out, if I had puked more than once it would have gotten me kicked out, instructor told me to take Dramamine which would also have gotten me kicked out if I had been caught, wife smuggled it in for me. He said I would get used to it and I did, but I always run the ragged edge in turbulence etc.

Wife will get sick easily, she takes Dramamine and usually sleeps if it gets bad.

Has anyone tried those electric bands, the ones that cost a lot and you cannot replace the batteries on? Do they work, if so how well?

Old 10-12-2014, 07:12   #18

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
LOLOL

I just phoned a colleague and asked him if he knew why women were prone to sickness more than men.

He was rushing to surgery. He said.

"Design fault"

He is not sexist, just extremely witty.
Now that's funny right there!!!

Funny thing is my wife gets car sick very easily but does very well on a boat. I am decently prone to being motion sick but it can vary. I have found that if my allergies are bothering me or sinus's are blocked I am way more prone. We were on a cruise once and hit very large seas. They were big enough that you had to bounce between and hold on to the hall way walls to walk in the ship. I got very sick and had to take bonine (which worked wonderfully ) My wife whom gets car sick if I pull a U turn too fast was perfectly fine for the 24 hours of rough weather.

Last thing I have noticed, contrary to most others experience is a few beers seems to lessen my sea sickness susceptibility. Haven't figured that one out either but it works As long as I drink them before I start feeling ill I am great, afterwards will make it worse. Too many (i.e. getting drunk) makes it worse.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:35   #19

Boat: sunk by irma

Given the various responses so far, I have to wonder if cultural conditioning isn't also a potential factor which influences the apparent gender gap? Like a "guys are macho tough and girls are in touch with their feelings" kind of thing?

I got seasick once when I was like ten sailing offshore with my family. It was really choppy with big seas but I was completely obvious up until the point my dad brought the storm jib up on deck. Shortly thereafter my brother and I were at the rail barfing all the junk food chips and candy bars and coke we had been eating.

It was horrible and I swore at that moment to never get seasick again and never have since, having always found myself able to "psyche" myself out of going down that path. With this experience I have always believed that seasickness has as much to do with what is going on between your ears as it does with what's going on in your inner ear.

This makes me wonder about cultural conditioning as a factor. Like guys have this attitude like "I have to be tough, I can't be weak" and are therefor either less prone to get seasick or allow themselves to be in a position to get seasick. Whereas women have a different outlook that makes them either more susceptible or more likely to put themselves in a position where they will get sick if they are already predisposed.

I can think of any number of times I have had female guests onboard who have warned me beforehand that they get seasick or carsick, but I have never had a guy do the same and I have to wonder if it isn't partly a macho tough thing or that any apparent gender gap is an illusion because the sample is biased.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:53   #20

Boat: Oyster 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Robert M Stern, PhD, distinguished professor of psychology at Penn State University, has studied motion sickness for the past 15 years. Stern says that in his research, he found Asians are much more susceptible to motion sickness than whites or blacks. "That suggests there are genetic factors at work," he says.
Asian hypersusceptibility to motion sickness. - PubMed - NCBI

According to the CDC:
All people can develop motion sickness if given sufficient stimulus. However, people may vary in their susceptibility. Risk factors include:

Age—children aged 2–12 years are especially susceptible, but infants and toddlers are generally immune.
Sex—women are more likely to have motion sickness, especially when pregnant, menstruating, or on hormones.
Migraines—people who get migraine headaches are more prone to motion sickness, especially during a migraine.
Medication—some prescriptions can worsen the nausea of motion sickness
Motion Sickness - Chapter 2 - 2014 Yellow Book | Travelers' Health | CDC
My wife is Asian. She gets seasick all the time. So do all of her Asian friends. But she is fearless and goes sailing nonetheless.

One time crossing the Andaman Sea she was seasick for three days and spent most of the three day crossing in bed. At the end of the last day she climbed up the ladder into the cockpit with a homemade-from-scratch banana cream pie she had just made for me. Fearless.

Dhillen
Old 01-01-2015, 13:12   #21

I think I had a form of seasickness one time only. We had won a race and the celebratory dinner included 'much too much' good wine. During the sail the next day I was ok until I went down into the cabin and lost site of the horizon, then it hit me. No nausea or vomiting but I had extreme vertigo. After a bit I found it wasn't all that bad. I just sat there below deck and enjoyed the flips and loops interrupted by occasionally seeing the horizon through the cabin portholes and feeling normal.
Old 01-01-2015, 13:28   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

sailed in a regatta race a couple of years ago - copenhagen to Malmø in sweden. Gigantic party next day it was blowing a gale and everyone (70-80 boats) had to sail home right up against the wind.

Joke was no boat had touble getting the crew to hike out - that way they were hanging over the railing when they had to unload their guts.
Old 01-01-2015, 14:21   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Formosa46AK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
My wife is Asian. She gets seasick all the time. So do all of her Asian friends. But she is fearless and goes sailing nonetheless...
My wife, Maggie, and I made one great sailor between us.
See never got scared, and I never got seasick.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: