Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-01-2006, 22:29   #31

delmarrey

After about 2 months. I regretted accepting that post in Pensacola. I hated the command down there. And I was having alot of problems ashore.

I liked it better out at sea. And that's how I feel now. I am working on getting a boat. But, I cannot afford a big boat like a 50 footer. Maybe in the future?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 22:34   #32
Kai Nui

Maybe I should ship that extra amma down to K and he can rig it and go sailing

Old 29-01-2006, 22:36   #33

Yeah Kai.

I didn't think of that one. Sure I would put it to good use.

Seriously Scott !!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-02-2006, 02:01   #34

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
I've been trying (with no luck) to remember the name of the anti nausea drug they put in liferafts in NZ. It is a prescription only med here and was originally used as a pre-op relaxant. If you know the right people i.e liferaft service agents with stocks of date expired pills, it is well worth getting hold of some. A friend of mine who suffers motion sickness like no other person I know tried these and the effects were nothing short of miraculous. They were even able to enjoy a glass of wine although I'm not sure drinking with them is recommended.
A couple of years ago on a topsail schooner trip in Fiji I gave some to a whole family who were suffering and it made their trip much more enjoyable. They were so messed up with seasickness they were prepared to accept drugs from a stranger.

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:01   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hmmmm, Pr-op relaxant and Alcohol. Sounds like ummm, interesting. Your not related to a Scott Watson are you?

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:45   #36

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
I think if Scott had access to those sort of pharmaceuticals he wouldn't have had all those scratch marks on the hatch.

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 18:06   #37

Boat: ketch, 51'
pwederell

Adgan, Phenergan are the common brand names, available as injectable, oral and rectal.
In my opinion, the rectal would be advised for cruisers, injectable- do not really want to mess with needles as the boat rocks and rolls, and with oral, the vomiting associated with motion sickness you might not get the full dose and has a slower absorption rate (takes longer to work).
The wonder drug for motion sickness when the insertion of second digit deep into oral pharyngeal cavity fails to resolve the symptoms.
Other uses include - Allergic Reactions, Anaphylaxis Adjunct, Apprehension, General Anesthesia Adjunct, Motion Sickness, Nausea and Vomiting, Pain Treatment Adjunct, Prevention of Post-Operative Nausea and Vomiting, Sedation as Adjunct to Anesthesia, Sedation in Obstetrics, Transfusion Reaction Urticaria.

Side effects - Anorexia, Blurred Vision, Dizziness, Drowsiness, Dry Nose, Dry Throat, Dysuria, Excitement, Fainting, Hyperhidrosis, Hypotension, Impaired Cognition, Irritability, Nervousness, Nightmares, Skin Photosensitivity, Skin Rash, Tachycardia, Thick Bronchial Secretions, Tinnitus, Visual Changes, Xerostomia

Important to note is the "impaired cognition." For many patients this would be comparable to many glasses of wine.
Old 04-02-2006, 00:13   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Different people are sensitive to different motions - some don't like pitch, some roll, some surging. My better half is fine on smaller boats, but gets sick on cruiseships.
I'm also in the iron gut category, but I figure much of that is simply technique and attitude. If you keep yourself busy and your mind off your stomach, the nausea disappears. Of course fresh air and seeing the horizon helps, but the secret remedy on the big ships is to go to the engine room. Sorry Delmarrey, I'm letting the cat out of the bag - engine rooms are low and central in the heavies, around the centre of buoyancy so the motion is minimized. They also have big fans that suck in massive amounts of fresh air. Pull up a chair under the fan and let the noise and vibration soothe you. Don't know why, but when the going gets rough and most of the crew are down hard, navy cooks get particularly sadistic - that's when they serve the kippered herring and fried liver. Mmmmm good and more for me.
For the prone - try to stay hydrated. I know this is hard to do when the stomach is churning, but as you become dehydrated the seasickness gets worse, then you get more dehydrated - vicious circle. Post-puke, eat some saltines and wash it down with lots of water; small sips - keep at it.

Kevin
Old 04-02-2006, 01:31   #39

Yep.

Drink small sips of water. Eat lots of saltine crackers. That usually helps everytime?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: