Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2015, 12:08   #16

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Seasickness

Although I have never been seasick, we are about to make our fist "ocean" passage and I have decided (suggested by DR.) on the better prepaired approach. We are taking Scopalomine patches, Bonine tablets (almost impossible to get in Canada), Phenergan/Ephedrin with us.

Our plan is to use the Scopalomine patches first, applied a day before we depart. If those fail, then we will escalate to Bonine. Phenergan/Ephedrin will only be used if the others fail.

Some will agree, some will disagree, but I'm more comfortable with a proactive approach.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 12:13   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

I almost sold my boat due to seasickness. I tried the wrist band, ginger etc with varying results then I happened to buy some dramamine. The chewable version.

I threw the stuff in a compartment onboard and forgot about it until a day when the winds were between 24-30 mph. I had sailed in this crap (bay waves) for hours and it was starting to get to me. I was about to blow chunks when I remembered the dramamine.

I grabbed it and happened to read the instructions which said take so and so for immediate relief and then one more for like hours of relief.

It worked!

I was having a beer a couple hours later and the wind was dropping at about the same time (but not the waves)

Now if I take a dramamine the first day on the boat, I'm usually okay with out it after that. The cool thing is though the immediate relief if you are getting near sick!

Dramamine® Chewables Motion Sickness Medicine
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 12:36   #18

Boat: 2001 Bavaria 37

My wife uses Dramamine tablets- works like a charm. Take them before you think you'll need them.

I've been lucky except for once when going to weather in rough seas (which gentlemen apparently don't do). A beer or other bubbly seems to work wonders as does staying actively engaged with the boat (manning the helm with the breeze in your face and an eye on the horizon).

And the traditional cure (sitting under an oak tree) is a last option.
Jim Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 12:57   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Seasickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
If you want to get over seasickness permanently don't use the drugs. Not everyone gets over it but most do. Just suffer.
I think a few beers helps. (No, i'm not joking)
A1+....
Drugs Bad.. Beer Good..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 13:19   #20

Boat: Camano Troll

I have noticed that after spending several days on the boat, when I step onto land and particularity when using a marina shower, I feel like I'm swinging from side to side. "Landsickness". Anyone else ever noticed this?
Old 13-03-2015, 13:23   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Although I have never been seasick, we are about to make our fist "ocean" passage and I have decided (suggested by DR.) on the better prepaired approach. We are taking Scopalomine patches, Bonine tablets (almost impossible to get in Canada), Phenergan/Ephedrin with us.

Our plan is to use the Scopalomine patches first, applied a day before we depart. If those fail, then we will escalate to Bonine. Phenergan/Ephedrin will only be used if the others fail.

Some will agree, some will disagree, but I'm more comfortable with a proactive approach.
What works best for me is Stugeron, but Bonine helps. Personally, I'd try the bonine first before the scop patch, as its side effects are usually less. Before we left the States, my doc advised me to try the patch ashore, as sometimes scop causes hallucinations. It did not, for me.

The last arrow I know of for your quiver of meds is to carry compazine suppositories, as once the victim gets started with dry heaves, they will not be able to keep by-mouth meds down. They will quell the vomiting when nothing else will. Keep them in the fridge in a ziplock bag.

FWIW, I've been susceptible to motion sickness since being a child, and it took me years of experimentation to find what works for me, and I think it's okay whatever methods you want to use to help your body adjust, including Phil's, just don't let mal de mer keep you from your sailing.

Ann
Old 13-03-2015, 13:24   #22

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I have noticed that after spending several days on the boat, when I step onto land and particularity when using a marina shower, I feel like I'm swinging from side to side. "Landsickness". Anyone else ever noticed this?
Yup.. I think the official term is "Disembarkment Syndrome"..

Mine can last 8-10 hours before it fades..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 13:25   #23

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
If you want to get over seasickness permanently don't use the drugs. Not everyone gets over it but most do. Just suffer.
I think a few beers helps. (No, i'm not joking)
Mark, I think thats the worst advice I've ever heard you give
Alcohol is terrible for a seasick or potentially seasick person - its a diuretic.
White knuckling it is also nutty and the worst experiences of my life have been passage making while trying to be 'manly'.

Before a passage:
- Get plenty of sleep!
- Dont drink alcohol
- Don't drink coffee the morning of departure (but I still do).
- Hydrate
- Take drug of choice before you step aboard

Scopalomine are good, but can cause hallucinations. It says so on the packet, and I've seen it happen. Be careful, and don't use 'em for the first time if you're sailing single handed.

I use Stugeron.

I've heard some people recently raving about this ReliefBand
Its expensive, but anyone who suffers serious sickness would happily pay 10 x the price... as long as it worked.
Old 13-03-2015, 13:31   #24

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Yup.. I think the official term is "Disembarkment Syndrome"..

Mine can last 8-10 hours before it fades..
Maybe that's where the term "drunken sailor" came from.
Old 13-03-2015, 13:31   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe-007 View Post
Mark, I think thats the worst advice I've ever heard you give
Alcohol is terrible for a seasick or potentially seasick person - its a diuretic.
White knuckling it is also nutty and the worst experiences of my life have been passage making while trying to be 'manly'.

Before a passage:
- Get plenty of sleep!
- Dont drink alcohol
- Don't drink coffee the morning of departure (but I still do).
- Hydrate
- Take drug of choice before you step aboard

Scopalomine are good, but can cause hallucinations. It says so on the packet, and I've seen it happen. Be careful, and don't use 'em for the first time if you're sailing single handed.

I use Stugeron.

I've heard some people recently raving about this ReliefBand
Its expensive, but anyone who suffers serious sickness would happily pay 10 x the price... as long as it worked.
Booze has never slowed me down in ugly weather (okay- but the next morning)
But no coffee? I'd rather be sea sick.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 13:57   #26

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I was seasick for my first two years at sea. I got progressively better, maybe queasy the first few days out after the first year. After the first two years I never got sick again.

I have seen a grown man sitting out on deck on a bright sunny day crying because of seasickness. He was a junior engineer and quit after that voyage.

No medication, no sympathy. That's the way it was. Green looking folks were asked if they'd like a greasy pork chop when all they could try and keep down was dry soda crackers.

Ah, the good old days, not quite when men were made of steel and ships were made of wood but the attitude was similar.

On a more serious note, sooner or later you get used to the motion. Some take longer than others.

Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Old 13-03-2015, 14:06   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I was seasick for my first two years at sea. I got progressively better, maybe queasy the first few days out after the first year. After the first two years I never got sick again.

I have seen a grown man sitting out on deck on a bright sunny day crying because of seasickness. He was a junior engineer and quit after that voyage.

No medication, no sympathy. That's the way it was. Green looking folks were asked if they'd like a greasy pork chop when all they could try and keep down was dry soda crackers.

Ah, the good old days, not quite when men were made of steel and ships were made of wood but the attitude was similar.

On a more serious note, sooner or later you get used to the motion. Some take longer than others.

Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Attitudes for professional seamen towards sea sickness haven't changed much. I still heckle sea sick people at work.

I sailed for a few years with a deckhand that was super prone to seasickness. He had hurt himself working out at the gym- Hernia. We had a nasty crossing late in the season, I don't remember what month it was, but it was snowing. He was kneeling on the aft deck (for the fresh air) puking his guts out. Every time he puked his, hernia popped out and he had to push it back in with his index finger.

We made fun of him, he was well liked, he and I were good pals, but in those circumstances what can you do but joke about it?
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 14:18   #28

Boat: Creekmore 36

I read an article in one of the sailing magazines which claimed a Dutch ferryman claims that an ear plug in one ear does the trick. Not both ears but only one.
Good luck.
tfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 14:25   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Seasickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank View Post
I read an article in one of the sailing magazines which claimed a Dutch ferryman claims that an ear plug in one ear does the trick. Not both ears but only one.
Good luck.
Does one switch ears after a tack..??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 14:27   #30
cruiser

Bonine works well for us. It's an over the counter drug with no sleepy side effects. If I take a pill before heading out on day one on the boat, I can even do nauseating things like fixing the engine down below while underway without getting sick. I'm good without the pill after a few days.

Funny you should mention cruise ships, I was fighting a migraine this morning caused by sleep pattern disruptions aboard one just this morning. I just woke up from a two hour nap to rid the migraine.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote