Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2016, 22:48   #1

Sea-sickness Remedies

I'm new to the site and am sure this topic has already been done to death, but I'd appreciate advice on the best seasickness preventatives for an ocean cruise on a 33' sailboat. I'm not really interested in herbal or homeopathic remedies but am wondering whether medications have advanced over the last 30 years since I last tried them.

Any advice would be really welcome - what works for you would probably work for me!
mervynmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 22:55   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Sea-sickness Remedies

Well mervynmitchell,

Y'all haven't told us where you live. So taking a leap, I'll guess the US. What you need is cinarrizine HCL, sold various places as Stugeron. It works well for Jim and me, and I am told is available online from Canada. I get mine elsewhere, but someone can probably come up with a link for you. For us, it has no side effects, except, for Jim, frequent urination; for me, none. It is available in Mexico, as well, also Belgium (where it is made) and Great Britain........over the counter in GB.

Good luck, and do go back through the older threads: there are links posted there, too.

Ann
Old 30-12-2016, 23:09   #3

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Well mervynmitchell,

Y'all haven't told us where you live. So taking a leap, I'll guess the US. What you need is cinarrizine HCL, sold various places as Stugeron. It works well for Jim and me, and I am told is available online from Canada. I get mine elsewhere, but someone can probably come up with a link for you. For us, it has no side effects, except, for Jim, frequent urination; for me, none. It is available in Mexico, as well, also Belgium (where it is made) and Great Britain........over the counter in GB.

Good luck, and do go back through the older threads: there are links posted there, too.

Ann
Yes, Stugeron, I get mine over the counter in Thailand
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 02:38   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

If you don't have Stugeron try Bonine. It's over the counter in the US. It doesn't cause as much drowsiness as Dramamine.

After a day or two in the ocean I usually don't need anything unless it is really rough.

I tried Scopolamine patches. It's made my hallucinate. Watch out for this possible side effect if you try it.
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 04:13   #5

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

We have had good results with transdermal scopolomine. However, it does cause pupil dilation and can negatively effect vision for several days after the patch is removed. It doesnt start working for a few hours, so apply it before getting underway.

Zofran works well to stop vomitting and nausea if you forget to apply scopolomine.

Meclazine works too, but not nearly as well. Do not have any alcohol when on Meclazine or you'll be down for the count.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 05:41   #6
SFS

Meclazine (the active ingredient in Bonine) works well for me. It has the added advantage of working even if I'm already seasick when I remember to take it.

Important advice regarding side effects: Whatever you decide to try, try it on land before your trip, so you know what to expect.

Also, don't be too quick to judge herbals or homeopathics. After years of hearing about how effective ginger (in almost any form) was, I took a few chewable ginger candies on a delivery in November, and they seemed to help. Other folks drink ginger tea.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 06:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervynmitchell View Post

1. I'm new to the site and am sure this topic has already been done to death, but I'd appreciate advice on the best seasickness preventatives for an ocean cruise on a 33' sailboat.....................
2. - what works for you would probably work for me!
1. Welcome. I agree on the "done to death" so you may want to consider the simple approach of performing a search, which is a quite effective tool on this and every other internet forum known to man. It really is a very powerful tool for you to use to answer any question that "...has already been done to death..."

2. This is a fallacy. What you'll learn by reading the search results is that everyone is very different, big time.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 07:04   #8

Boat: Tartan 37

One thing that works, is to take the helm when you start to feel bad.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 07:14   #9

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Has anyone tried "boarding ring?" Glasses that you wear that provide an artificial horizon effect.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 07:20   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
Meclazine (the active ingredient in Bonine) works well for me. It has the added advantage of working even if I'm already seasick when I remember to take it.

Important advice regarding side effects: Whatever you decide to try, try it on land before your trip, so you know what to expect.

Also, don't be too quick to judge herbals or homeopathics. After years of hearing about how effective ginger (in almost any form) was, I took a few chewable ginger candies on a delivery in November, and they seemed to help. Other folks drink ginger tea.
Another vote for Stugeron here.

Please don't lump herbals and homeopathy together, the former can be very efficacious for lots of things, the latter is pure quackery.

In my experience, Ginger Nut biscuits, crystallised ginger, ginger beer/ale/tea and fresh ginger are all good for settling a queasy stomach.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 07:38   #11

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
............. Also, don't be too quick to judge herbals or homeopathics. After years of hearing about how effective ginger (in almost any form) was, I took a few chewable ginger candies on a delivery in November, and they seemed to help. Other folks drink ginger tea.
I go to the Asian market and buy candied ginger. It's far less expensive than the same product in a normal grocery store. It helps me with seasickness. I just chew a piece or two. And it tastes like candy. Ginger Ale helps a bit but you have to find a brand that uses real, not imitation ginger.

Not a pill or patch, but it doesn't hurt to try it and there are no side effects.
Old 31-12-2016, 07:45   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sea-sickness Remedies

Just bull your way through it.. with the occasional graceful lean over the side to check for marine growth at the w/line.. and low and behold.. one day it won't be a problem.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 08:30   #13
SFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Another vote for Stugeron here.

Please don't lump herbals and homeopathy together, the former can be very efficacious for lots of things, the latter is pure quackery.

In my experience, Ginger Nut biscuits, crystallised ginger, ginger beer/ale/tea and fresh ginger are all good for settling a queasy stomach.
We can't get Sturgeron in the US.

Thanks for the quackery update.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 08:56   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Sea-sickness Remedies

Quote:

You can. I got mine off of EBay, was shipped from Cyprus. Just looked, seems a lot is from Frankfurt now
It works, better than any other chemical we have tried, and if works even after you begin to get a little sick.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 09:02   #15

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:

I got mine from an online discount place in Canada. Haven't yet had the occasion to try it, and probably need to replace what I have since it's been sitting on the boat for years. I think most meds will lose their effectiveness much past the expiration date. Was told keeping it refrigerated can help.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote