Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2016, 22:48   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2
Sea-sickness Remedies

I'm new to the site and am sure this topic has already been done to death, but I'd appreciate advice on the best seasickness preventatives for an ocean cruise on a 33' sailboat. I'm not really interested in herbal or homeopathic remedies but am wondering whether medications have advanced over the last 30 years since I last tried them.

Any advice would be really welcome - what works for you would probably work for me!
__________________

mervynmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 22:55   #2
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 16,544
Re: Sea-sickness Remedies

Well mervynmitchell,

Y'all haven't told us where you live. So taking a leap, I'll guess the US. What you need is cinarrizine HCL, sold various places as Stugeron. It works well for Jim and me, and I am told is available online from Canada. I get mine elsewhere, but someone can probably come up with a link for you. For us, it has no side effects, except, for Jim, frequent urination; for me, none. It is available in Mexico, as well, also Belgium (where it is made) and Great Britain........over the counter in GB.

Good luck, and do go back through the older threads: there are links posted there, too.

Ann
__________________

__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 23:09   #3
Registered User
 
SKG56's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Afghanistan, Iraq,Thailand, WA State
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 246
Re: Sea-sickness Remedies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Well mervynmitchell,

Y'all haven't told us where you live. So taking a leap, I'll guess the US. What you need is cinarrizine HCL, sold various places as Stugeron. It works well for Jim and me, and I am told is available online from Canada. I get mine elsewhere, but someone can probably come up with a link for you. For us, it has no side effects, except, for Jim, frequent urination; for me, none. It is available in Mexico, as well, also Belgium (where it is made) and Great Britain........over the counter in GB.

Good luck, and do go back through the older threads: there are links posted there, too.

Ann
Yes, Stugeron, I get mine over the counter in Thailand
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 02:38   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2014
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
Posts: 173
Re: Sea-sickness Remedies

If you don't have Stugeron try Bonine. It's over the counter in the US. It doesn't cause as much drowsiness as Dramamine.

After a day or two in the ocean I usually don't need anything unless it is really rough.

I tried Scopolamine patches. It's made my hallucinate. Watch out for this possible side effect if you try it.
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 04:13   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Posts: 727
Re: Sea-sickness Remedies

We have had good results with transdermal scopolomine. However, it does cause pupil dilation and can negatively effect vision for several days after the patch is removed. It doesnt start working for a few hours, so apply it before getting underway.

Zofran works well to stop vomitting and nausea if you forget to apply scopolomine.

Meclazine works too, but not nearly as well. Do not have any alcohol when on Meclazine or you'll be down for the count.






Sent from my SM-G930V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 05:41   #6
SFS
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Always travelling
Posts: 272
Re: Sea-sickness Remedies

Meclazine (the active ingredient in Bonine) works well for me. It has the added advantage of working even if I'm already seasick when I remember to take it.

Important advice regarding side effects: Whatever you decide to try, try it on land before your trip, so you know what to expect.

Also, don't be too quick to judge herbals or homeopathics. After years of hearing about how effective ginger (in almost any form) was, I took a few chewable ginger candies on a delivery in November, and they seemed to help. Other folks drink ginger tea.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 06:05   #7
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 7,794
Re: Sea-sickness Remedies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervynmitchell View Post

1. I'm new to the site and am sure this topic has already been done to death, but I'd appreciate advice on the best seasickness preventatives for an ocean cruise on a 33' sailboat.....................
.................................
2. - what works for you would probably work for me!
1. Welcome. I agree on the "done to death" so you may want to consider the simple approach of performing a search, which is a quite effective tool on this and every other internet forum known to man. It really is a very powerful tool for you to use to answer any question that "...has already been done to death..."

2. This is a fallacy. What you'll learn by reading the search results is that everyone is very different, big time.

Good luck.
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 07:04   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Out of Norfolk Va
Boat: Tartan 37
Posts: 674
Re: Sea-sickness Remedies

One thing that works, is to take the helm when you start to feel bad.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 07:14   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: Samson C Mist 32
Posts: 619
Re: Sea-sickness Remedies

Has anyone tried "boarding ring?" Glasses that you wear that provide an artificial horizon effect.
Steve Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 07:20   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB
Posts: 8,853
Re: Sea-sickness Remedies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
Meclazine (the active ingredient in Bonine) works well for me. It has the added advantage of working even if I'm already seasick when I remember to take it.

Important advice regarding side effects: Whatever you decide to try, try it on land before your trip, so you know what to expect.

Also, don't be too quick to judge herbals or homeopathics. After years of hearing about how effective ginger (in almost any form) was, I took a few chewable ginger candies on a delivery in November, and they seemed to help. Other folks drink ginger tea.
Another vote for Stugeron here.

Please don't lump herbals and homeopathy together, the former can be very efficacious for lots of things, the latter is pure quackery.

In my experience, Ginger Nut biscuits, crystallised ginger, ginger beer/ale/tea and fresh ginger are all good for settling a queasy stomach.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 07:38   #11
Registered User
 
rwidman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: Sea-sickness Remedies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
............. Also, don't be too quick to judge herbals or homeopathics. After years of hearing about how effective ginger (in almost any form) was, I took a few chewable ginger candies on a delivery in November, and they seemed to help. Other folks drink ginger tea.
I go to the Asian market and buy candied ginger. It's far less expensive than the same product in a normal grocery store. It helps me with seasickness. I just chew a piece or two. And it tastes like candy. Ginger Ale helps a bit but you have to find a brand that uses real, not imitation ginger.

Not a pill or patch, but it doesn't hurt to try it and there are no side effects.
__________________
Ron
HIGH COTTON
Sent from my laptop using Windows 7
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 07:45   #12
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 24,173
Images: 2
pirate Re: Sea-sickness Remedies

Just bull your way through it.. with the occasional graceful lean over the side to check for marine growth at the w/line.. and low and behold.. one day it won't be a problem.
__________________


Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 08:30   #13
SFS
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Always travelling
Posts: 272
Re: Sea-sickness Remedies

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Another vote for Stugeron here.

Please don't lump herbals and homeopathy together, the former can be very efficacious for lots of things, the latter is pure quackery.

In my experience, Ginger Nut biscuits, crystallised ginger, ginger beer/ale/tea and fresh ginger are all good for settling a queasy stomach.
We can't get Sturgeron in the US.

Thanks for the quackery update.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 08:56   #14
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 26,335
Sea-sickness Remedies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
We can't get Sturgeron in the US.



Thanks for the quackery update.


You can. I got mine off of EBay, was shipped from Cyprus. Just looked, seems a lot is from Frankfurt now
It works, better than any other chemical we have tried, and if works even after you begin to get a little sick.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 09:02   #15
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 4,367
Re: Sea-sickness Remedies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
We can't get Sturgeron in the US.

Thanks for the quackery update.
I got mine from an online discount place in Canada. Haven't yet had the occasion to try it, and probably need to replace what I have since it's been sitting on the boat for years. I think most meds will lose their effectiveness much past the expiration date. Was told keeping it refrigerated can help.
__________________

Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sea Sickness and Stugeron 42AFJ Seamanship & Boat Handling 36 05-09-2013 14:05
Sea Sickness oldmotherreily Health, Safety & Related Gear 16 11-11-2009 21:00
Sea-Sickness: Mono vs Cat BlueSovereign General Sailing Forum 43 02-08-2009 14:15
sea sickness freetime Seamanship & Boat Handling 71 12-11-2008 22:08



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:27.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.