Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 11:51   #1

Boat: Riviera Excalibur 47
Sea Sickness - Best Preventions

Taking the family cruising and for the first time we'll be heading outside of protected waters. My 8yo daughter gets sea sick so I'm looking for opinions on the best ways to handle it.
A few answers I don't need:
"stay on Land (or inside waters)"
"have a beer"
"harden up princess"
I'd like to hear about magnetic bands, tablets etc. and (other than stabilizing the boat) the best options for her in terms of position on board etc.
Cheers
madforboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:02   #2

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: Sea Sickness - best preventions

Transderm Scop Patch Transderm Scop (Scopolamine) Drug Information: Description, User Reviews, Drug Side Effects, Interactions - Prescribing Information at RxList or if you want to try to stay natural consume Ginger.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:02   #3

Sturgeron are really good tablets. They work really well to contain seasickness, however do make you a bit sleepy. I bought them when in Singapore. Can't buy them here in New Zealand though which is a real pain. In Paihia the local pharmacist makes a drug up called the Paihia Bomber which is specifically for sea sickness. SeaLegs also good. Wrist bands I am dubious about, however if I do get queasy pressing on the pressure point on wrist helps a bit. Can always ask her to steer the boat, that is the best remedy of all!
cathnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:05   #4

Boat: Riviera Excalibur 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Apparently the patches are banned in Australia - I'll have a look out for them though - thanks.
madforboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:08   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

Bonine works really well for me. I believe they do make it in a childrens dose
Old 07-02-2014, 12:11   #6

also if she can steer, be above deck and keep her attention out of the boat all these will help.

If she is reading, playing on a tablet, or focusing on something small in front of her it will make it all worse. All of this will be compounded if she does it down below.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:13   #7

Never met a sailor that didn't get good results from Stugeron
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:16   #8

Boat: Ta Shing Panda PH 40

Patches are great - if you can get them. They do cause drowsiness for many, but for someone not on night watch, should not be a problem. I have a 10yo daughter. She and Mom get sea sick. Band work for my daughter but not for Mom. I suspect there is a placebo effect with my daughter but that's just dad being judgmental. In either event, they cost very little (the elastic bands with a plastic nob attached) and can store anywhere, so we keep a few aboard for guests too. - Oh, when my daughter was 8, she thought the bands were a fashion statement also part of the reason I think they worked....best of luck. When mom and daughter are happy, the boat is happy - so do what ever it takes
Stochastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:20   #9

The bands worked to an extent with my mother. My mother gets motion sick in the back of a car so anything that will minimize or stop her from getting sick is a good thing. I don't think the bands completely stop her from getting sea sick but it helped.

I have heard that the various drugs work though some require you to take the meds before getting on the boat and some make you sleepy.

The bands don't really cost that much and if they work it is great and no drugs are needed, if they do not work, well you are not out very much.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:20   #10

I would, if possible, let her take the helm. If she can stand up and hold the wheel i would teach her how to steer. By standing up she can let the boat sway around while she stays focused out on the horizon. Problem is that it feeds on itself so you need to recognize the first sign of sickness. In a plane, that is usually when paasengers stop talking. Then get them on the wheel fast. While they still think they will be ok. By the time they feel warm or sweaty fore head, its too late.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:21   #11

Boat: Alberg #0

A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:31   #12

Taking the wheel is always a good idea, but I would think that for an 8 yo child/crew it would entail a limited amount of time on a passage. So, waddya do the REST of the time, right?

Really, there have been sooo many, many, many seasick posts, over the years, and nothing much has changed: placebos, drugs (depends on where you live or can source), ginger. Those are main areas of "cures & preventatives" and if you Goggle the topic, and Google seasickness and kids, you will have enough reading for a Pacific Crossing.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:34   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan
Quote:
Originally Posted by madforboats View Post
A few answers I don't need:
"stay on Land (or inside waters)"
"have a beer"
"harden up princess"
I'd like to hear about magnetic bands, tablets etc. and (other than stabilizing the boat) the best options for her in terms of position on board etc.
Cheers
just sayin...
Old 07-02-2014, 12:40   #14

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

The best seasickness medication i've come across is cannabis. Perhaps not appropriate for an 8yo though. I think all this advise is good. Stugeron is good stuff. I find that if it makes me drowsy then it's because it's needed. Get her to take it just before she goes to bed. Also, cut up some ginger into thin slices and put it into a water bottle. The ginger helps with the sea sickness and it's very important to stay hydrated. It also makes the water more interesting for a young child. If vomiting is occurring the pills won't stay down long enough to be absorbed, so switch to suppositories. At the end of the day though there is no substitute for sea time. At least a week in one shot is best. How long is the passage?
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:47   #15

Sturgeron (Cinnarizine), nothing works better.

The one time I got sea sick due to big confused sea and having to go below to do SSB radio schedule. I was actually puking profusely and stuck the tablet under my tongue and immediately felt better and no more puking, amazing.

Apparently it is un patent-able because it has been around so long so no one wants to pay for its approval in Oz so the stupid government won't let us have access to it. You have to buy it when you are overseas Europe/USA and sneak it in or over the internet.

Drink lots of water and some electrolytes.
giant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea sickness