Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 12:50   #16

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31
Re: Sea Sickness - best preventions

Meclizine and ginger pills together work for me. Taken before bed the night before, then in the morning before the boat.
Old 07-02-2014, 13:02   #17

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Oh yea... and this site has some info/opinions about various cures...
Curing Seasickness Site Map
Old 07-02-2014, 13:10   #18
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

If I recall, Excaliber is a powerboat, so beware the "station wagon" effect in which fumes collect below. Some people are very sensitive to exhaust fumes, which could also collect below in a sailboat under the right circumstances. Sensitivity aside, CO isn't good for anybody, especially kids. Have her watch the horizon, get plenty of fresh air, focus on the fun of the boat ride. I understand one side effect of the patch is constipation. Does your pediatrician have any advice? That's always a good place to start. The good news is that she may outgrow this. I did.
Old 07-02-2014, 13:52   #19

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

In general down low at the center of gravity, and toward the stern is the best ride. At the center of gravity the rocking back and forth is almost neutral, and the stern tend to be the most solid as it’s usually the bow that moves up and down. A person being able to see the motion also play a large role. So either limit her vision or tell her to look out toward horizon, so she can not see the motion as much. Have her sleep/rest/nap. Limit solid food, drink mostly juices/soda/water, no milk. Soda helps settle the stomach. Toast seems to work well as it absorbs the stomach fluid and some say burnt toast as it hides the taste. Keep her attention diverted away from the motion. We pop of a DVD into the TV for them to watch as they sip soda, and eat toast.

When we have grandchildren with us, I like to leave early in the morning beofre 6, while they are sleeping, the state rooms are dark, windows covers so they can see the rocking motion. Our staterooms are down low close to the center of gravity. For breakfast we usually make cinnamon/sugar toast as kids like them and easy to make. If they are up the salon window curtains are drawn and they watch a DVD from across the room. It seems with several hours asleep with the boats movement, juice/soada and toast for breakfast, keeping the curtains drawn and watching DVD non have been sea sick.

We have never used pills or medication. Here is a good gneral site Taming Sea-Sickness in Kids - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 13:59   #20

Boat: Niagara 35

Another vote for making sure she is well hydrated. Some crackers and toast will often settle down a bit of sea-sickness (I always used to carry crackers in my flight bag).

Also, chewable gravol is great and works quickly without having to go below and find water. Not sure what it would be called in your neck of the woods.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 14:25   #21

Boat: Corbin 39

Never set out on an empty stomach.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 14:34   #22

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddedger View Post
Never set out on an empty stomach.
I believe that this is a well known rule amongst hobbits. It should also be used by us sailors who are prone to sea sickness.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 14:58   #23

Boat: 2002 Catana 471

Sorry, but I didn't read all the posts to find what has been suggested.
Sleep one or two nights on the boat to get used to the smell.
Have dry ginger cookies ready to eat.
Have her watch the nearest land if possible.
Keep her busy so she doesn't think about it.
Keep her warm.
If all doesnt help lay her down and have her close her eyes in fresh air.
No medicine needed.
Travelaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 16:59   #24

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

My partner gets seasick from the ripples in a bathtub, so we were really pleased recently when she didn't get sick while we were beating into 25 knots. That was after taking 30mg of Stugeron (2 tablets), and careful attention to preparation.

For someone who is sensitive to seasickness, it's important not to just take the pills and go sailing. Our planning now includes at least a night onboard at anchor, and care with diet. Have a simple, non fatty meal the night before and then a light breakfast with nothing acidic. Avoid/minimise juice and coffee but keep hydrated. Take a tablet the night before and then two about an hour or so before hitting any wave action. Some people recommend starting the tablets 24 hours beforehand.

My partner does get a little sleepy, but it only seems to affect her when she stops and sits down to relax. She has not yet been on a longer passage so we are hoping that extended time on board will get her acclimatised.

We have also experimented with Scopolamine patches (imported from NZ) and these seem to be effective, but with slightly stronger side effects.
Old 07-02-2014, 17:20   #25

This May be duplicate advice...first candied or sugar coated ginger. Amazing as I sometimes have an issue. Bonine works well as over the counter. I read about a noise spread that works after you feel bad.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 18:29   #26

Boat: csy 37

stugeron also not available in the USA. too bad, i've heard a lot good about it.

we are only exposed to 'rough' waters for half a day or so, crossing the gulf stream florida/bahamas. a diet of ginger crackers, ginger candies, and canned peaches as well as staying up in the cockpit have kept us from any bouts of seasickness.

but exhaust fumes, as someone stated, are bad. the only time in my life i was ever close to seasick was on a small dive boat idling in lumpy seas with twin outboards running and the wind sending the exhaust fumes back over the boat....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 18:31   #27
cruiser

Another recommendation for Bonine. It works great for me. I've also heard it's good to avoid fatty food and heavy meats, anything difficult to digest. Keep the meals small.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 18:36   #28

Boat: Vd Stadt 34

Don't allow anybody on board to talk about it. The only time my first mate was seasick was after an evening talking about seasickness with other cruisers.
Act like it doesn't exist.
Bregts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 18:37   #29

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The names change down under, but Meclizine is good preventative and available as Bonine 24 hr over the counter. If its too late, then the big guns are zofran (dissolves on the tongue) and compozine (rectal suppository)--both will need a prescription in the US.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 18:43   #30

Promethazine (Phenergan) is what the astronauts take, given that space sickness is very common. Take 25mg before bed the night before departure and nightly for several days into the voyage. Being an older antihistamine, it is sedative, which is why you take it the night before which coincidentally gives you a good sleep when you might otherwise be excited or apprehensive about the coming voyage. Most will not be drowsy by next morning, but the antiemetic properties linger.
My party of 10 each used this strategy when crossing Drake's Passage with a 60kt wind and sea on the beam. No one got sick, including 4 who had been particularly prone in the past. I've also use this with two of my kids on costal passages. The 25mg dose is fine for body mass greater than 50kg. Although I am not prone to seasickness myself, I also generally take a single dose before beginnig a passage, given, as you know, even the lease prone can get a mild dose without warning early on, and as skipper, it's bad form to have to take a lie down or appear melancholy.
Obviously, not going inside during the passage unless for sleep and lying down, head into wind, watching the horizon, eating small meals, avoiding diesel fumes, and lingering in the head, plus all the other non drug strategies.....
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea sickness