Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2016, 02:19   #1

Sea sickness

Hi all
I have a question regarding sea sickness. Has anybody out there got experience in this regard? In particular vertigo and/or Meniere's disease? Is this type of condition prohibiting sailing offshore altogether or are there ways around it?
Maniew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 04:57   #2
cruiser

Re: Sea sickness

We use the over the counter medication Bonine "Meclizine." It works well for me and our guests without any sleepy side effects.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 05:03   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Meniere's disease ➥ Meniere's disease Treatments and drugs - Mayo Clinic

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 05:07   #4

I suffer from some degree of seasickness at the beginning of almost every trip. Luckily for me it is not debilitating. Worst case, I heave over the side and then get back to work. Meclizine works well for me, for controlling it. But when it comes to seasickness cures each person is different--what works wonderfully for one may be no help at all to another. You just have to find what works for you.

I also suffer from occasional benign positional vertigo. For some reason, it has never bothered me the least when I was on a boat--and that includes long cruises on larger ships. It only seems to bother me when I'm on land.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 06:13   #5

Boat: C&C 38'

I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease about 15 years ago. I took motion sickness pills when it bothered me. Later I was given a diuretic for congested heart failure. I have not had a motion sickness episode since I have been taking diuretics. I don't keep Meclizine anymore! Every cloud has a silver lining!
Old 17-03-2016, 21:36   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

ManieW,

If you've been diagnosed with Miniere's Disease, talk to your doc about the situation. You may be advised to take certain meds against seasickness because they won't chemically conflict with other meds you take.

For simple seasickness, Jim and I prefer Stugeron, cinnarizine HCl. I don't know if it is available in SA. Bulawayo may know; he's a frequent poster on CF, and you could PM him.

Meclizine HCL works some, for me, but what I like is to feel 'normal', and the Stugeron does that, for me. IME, people keep on trying different things till they find what works best for them.

Fwiw, there are many threads on this subject on CF. Do a CF Google special search (click on the Search button, then scroll down to the GSS and click on it.

Ann
Old 17-03-2016, 21:52   #7

Ann and others,
Thanks for all the input! Fortunately I haven't been diagnosed with Meniere's (yet?) but had a bad experience with vertigo - on land!
But all the info I received helps a lot to better understand the situation and to be prepared if or when the occasion arises
Manie
Maniew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 10:59   #8

Boat: Previous Southerly 110, then briefly a Southerly 42, now the best a 2008 Hallberg Rassy 54 (54' 11")

Motion sickness tablets, make sure you take 'em before you start at sea. After a few days, or less, at sea you will have become 'acclimatized'. Worked for my family,and even me on a few occasions and (hate to admit it ) I used to fly for a living!

Eating/chewing ginger is always a good back up, as is (bizarrely) eating chips and drinking sprite......

Worst thing we have to deal with now is 'dock rock' i.e. land sickness, after a few weeks at sea, makes us look like drunks.

Good luck to you!
Piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 04:27   #9

I have found chewing slices of fresh ginger working great for me. Whenever I feel seasickness could develop I get a slice of ginger and chew it for a while.

Works obviously only for people who like ginger
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 18:10   #10

Boat: Com-pac 16 & Pearson Ensign

My father was diagnosed as having Meniere's disease.
So was I.
BS, Meniere's is used as a catch all by physicians when they don't know what else to do.

I could spin in slick shoes like an ice skater spins years ago.

Have had episodes that left me lying on the floor or a bed with vertigo doing projectile vomiting for up to seven hours.

After numerous doctors I learned on my own that the problem was a sinus infection that never goes away.
Use of a Neti pot twice a day is the best thing I ever started.
Doctors have been glad to learn that this can help.
Make sure you boil the water for a while, then let it cool.

I also go to an acupuncturist who helps synchronize the eyes with the brain. When they get out of sync from the infection he does what I call a "reboot" that gets me going. I have learned to know when I need this.

I ski the steeps in the winter and sail in the summer, and keep using the Neti pot.
chas5131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 21:26   #11

I found a blog that mentions some tips about preventing sea sickness Avoiding Seasickness - Cruise Critic.
ElizabethMunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea sickness