Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2016, 06:12   #16

Re: Sea sick pills causing land sickness?

Taking alcohol after taking any drowsiness medication is a dangerous thing to do. This is a good way to pass out on the boat or ashore.

Whenever I have been out in the gulf stream all day in a steadily rolling ocean , the land always keeps moving when I get back.
paullmaloney3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Well, Bonine is next to worthless. Odds are it wore off and you got acclimated to the motion of the sea. And when you got back on shore? You simply got "landsick", long and well documented form of motion sickness that goes hand in hand with seasickness. Same problem, your body needs time to get acclimated to the difference (or change) in visual and physical signals. And usually you can (surprise!) take more of the same meds to make the problem go away. Anything that works for motion sickness, works for both kinds.
Everyone has slightly different reactions to motion sickness pills, so it may work for some and not work for others. If you do not have motion pills or do not want to take them, there are a plethora of other "remedies". A friend landed on drinking flat, warm, dark beer before heading out to sea. About the only thing that seemed to work for her. Logic is it reduces anxiety and slows down the body's reactions. And some folks never find a solution. So for those who have mal de mer, keep trying.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 16:06   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Before I would go fishing a few beers would help, I mean a couple, not a case Fishing was worse than sailing if you were flat fishing, HOT and little or no wind, boat rolling like a Pig.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 17:12   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Before I would go fishing a few beers would help, I mean a couple, not a case Fishing was worse than sailing if you were flat fishing, HOT and little or no wind, boat rolling like a Pig.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
On the fishing trip after taking bonine we were drinking and had a nice buzz but for what ever reason did not get drowsy. Also in the past drinking to a healthy buzz did seem to help. Not sure if it's an anxiety release thing or a slow the senses down thing as mentioned previously, but I've never gotten sick while drinking on a boat.
Old 07-08-2016, 17:30   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Ever notice that drivers don't get car sick? That's because they have the visual information to make up for all those accelerations their vestibular systems are experiencing. People who read while passengers get car sick. The same is true for boats - the best place is at the helm, and the worst place is below. Fishing - looking down rather than at the horizon while the boat bobs about - is a recipe for mal de mer. Close your eyes when you don't have good internal vestibular information, and off you go.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote