Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-08-2011, 22:16   #16

Re: Scopolamine Experience

If the amount of ginger that you need to take for motion sickness is giving you heartburn (or subsequent "ring" burn), you may want to take the ginger with some cardamom seeds/powder or aloe vera gel or rose petal powder/preserves if you have those on hand in the kitchen.

Old 23-08-2011, 22:30   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
My pharmacist in Canada had never heard of Stugeron when I asked. Are you sure it's available in Canada? Where have you found it?

I found the patch to be very effective when I used it. It did wear off in three days, just when a major storm hit. I got a little bit sick in the storm, but was able to control it with a small amount of gravol. Much better than if I'd just hit the storm with no prep, believe me! So I believe that I'm still adapting, even though I have the patch on.

Only side effect was dry mouth (others may have been too polite to tell me if I had bad breath).
My wife is pharmacist.

Stugeron is not available in Canada. It can have side-effects; one crew member in Mexico was down for 12 hours after 1 pill.

All sickness meds have side-effects that are quite idiosyncratic. I use a generic Gravol; one seems to be enough to settle things down. I tried using the regular dose (2) last summer during a Vic-Maui return and got constipated. Never again.

My wife does not recommend Scopolamine because it can affect cognitive ability. My dry mouth effect was huge.

ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 22:33   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I carry candied ginger. It works after the fact. Besides I just like the taste.

Real ginger ale (Canada Dry) provides some nutrients and re-hydrates.
Old 23-08-2011, 22:49   #19

Jackdale
Sorry, I'm a Canadian and Canada Dry has artificial flavours, Yes it seems to make the stomach feel better.
For a true ginger hit, please try to stock up on Ginger Beer (non alcoholic). It is made with true ginger and the taste is very strong.

May I ask (as I have never suffered from motion sickness except one time when I did a 3 day survival as part of Outward Bound Training and got yanked back in a high speed powerboat)....

I have always assumed that it is the rolling motion of a vessel that causes the ear problems?
I have also assumed that it if you keep your eyes focused on the horizon, it seems to fool the mind into equilibrium?
If you are on top of a tall rolling ship the motion is intensified?
(I saw the ultimate nasty when I took the 8 hour ferry trip from Skidegate, Queen Charlotte Islands to Prince Rupert, Canada. The moron who designed the ship put the cafe almost as high as the ship could be. The results truly were 'green' and highly catastrophic...
Yah, I also looked into the copper wrists bands. Not much success, I've heard.
Ok, if we can almost cure cancer, can it be that hard to simply solve this issue that only seems to affect some of us??

'Always looking to make good things, Gooder'

Tri
Old 23-08-2011, 23:03   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinomite View Post
Jackdale
Sorry, I'm a Canadian and Canada Dry has artificial flavours, Yes it seems to make the stomach feel better.
For a true ginger hit, please try to stock up on Ginger Beer (non alcoholic). It is made with true ginger and the taste is very strong.
I am also Canadian, eh? Canada Dry has some ginger as well. I really do not like ginger beer, unless it is in a Dark and Stormy.

Quote:
May I ask (as I have never suffered from motion sickness except one time when I did a 3 day survival as part of Outward Bound Training and got yanked back in a high speed powerboat)....

I have always assumed that it is the rolling motion of a vessel that causes the ear problems?
I have also assumed that it if you keep your eyes focused on the horizon, it seems to fool the mind into equilibrium?
If you are on top of a tall rolling ship the motion is intensified?
The problem is mixed messages between the eyes and the middle ear which sense motion. Strong odours exacerbate the problem. Focusing on the horizon helps. Taking the helm helps.

If someone is incapacitated, have them lie on the cabin sole above the keel, along the centreline with their eyes closed; that helps. There is less motion there.
Old 23-08-2011, 23:10   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidMuse View Post
If the amount of ginger that you need to take for motion sickness is giving you heartburn (or subsequent "ring" burn), you may want to take the ginger with some cardamom seeds/powder or aloe vera gel or rose petal powder/preserves if you have those on hand in the kitchen.
Great info Mermaid Muse.
Yah how did Johhhhhhny Cash put: "And it burns, burns, like the burning ring of Fire.."
My dear recewly departed wife had a superb knowledge as a Chef and skilled knowledge as a Herbologist. In repects for profound interklect, may I aslo add what you have posted here to her data base from you to eventually work out the highly complex methods of natural medicine in an easy to read quick reference to compliment all of us to travel the seas in better health?

Be well
TRI
Old 23-08-2011, 23:12   #22

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The good news is that many folks gradually loose their seasick tendencies as their sea time builds up. With any luck, Heidi will do so too!

Oh, have you tried Stugeron yet? We've found it to be the best oral stuff for us.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann
Hi Jim & Ann

Well I hope she loses her sea sickness tenencies over time. I suspect it will happen because the more confident she becomes the less anxious she will be and I think that is a factor. We haven't tried Sturgeron. She has a couple of other allergies & I decided to try to steer clear of it after reading the product information sheet. We've tried all the easy remedies & I suspect that Scopolamine will just be for the start of a passage. We're both doing Noumea to Brisbane at end of September with John Neal so that should be fun. New boat going slow. grrrr

Regards
Greg
Old 23-08-2011, 23:27   #23

Boat: Niagara 35

One more tip that has been very important for me: Chewable gravol. If I have to go below to get some water when I start to feel off, I'm toast. If I have to stop what I'm doing, I won't bother until it's too late. If I have a couple of chewables in my pocket, there's never any excuse and I don't have to go down below and hunt around and make myself sick to take meds to keep me from being sick.

I tend to take the chewables much earlier, and you can get them in children's dosages so that you don't take as much at once. That way you can nip it in the bud early on and not need the higher dosage later.
Old 24-08-2011, 02:30   #24

Boat: Van De Stadt "Helena" 38

I loved the scopolamine patches, wonderful hallucinations. It did worry my wife when she saw me singing and dancing at the helm. Now unavailable in Australia so for a while I imported from NZ.

What I do know from trying most remedies is that what works for one person doesn't work for all. What does work for me is a compounded oral formulation of scopolamine hydrobromide 0.2mg, caffeine 100mg, chlorpheniramine maleate 2mg and ginger. Effective with no side effects at all.
Old 24-08-2011, 08:21   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post

1. The patch is supposed to be good for 3 days. Is there any benefit to leaving it on or has it lost it's oomph by then?
2. If you remove the patch after 3 days does it mean that you become sea sick again?
Greg
The patch is good for up to three days, after which you need a new patch (if still subject to sea motion).

Did you read the instructions? ➥ Transderm Sc?p patch Information for Patients ? Scopolamine Patch to Prevent Motion Sickness

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 08:33   #26
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

I have tried the pressure wrist bands. no go.

I do keep candied ginger aboard. it helps some, but not enough.

The ginger ale or beer is good. For after. To get rid of the taste : -P

The first time out the scope patch did the trick so well I never even thought about it after the first hour or so. My stomach was just fine. I was lucky and did not experience any side effects, but if I had they would have had to have been pretty awful to keep me from using it again, because the side effects of seasickness are HUGE!

And I sing and dance at the helm all the time, often to Billy Joel, or Gloria Estevan, or Jimmy! So Himself wouldn't be able to tell if that was a side effect ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 08:49   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
Hi Jim & Ann

Well I hope she loses her sea sickness tenencies over time. I suspect it will happen because the more confident she becomes the less anxious she will be and I think that is a factor. We haven't tried Sturgeron. She has a couple of other allergies & I decided to try to steer clear of it after reading the product information sheet. We've tried all the easy remedies & I suspect that Scopolamine will just be for the start of a passage. We're both doing Noumea to Brisbane at end of September with John Neal so that should be fun. New boat going slow. grrrr

Regards
Greg
G'DAy Greg,

As mentioned by someone above, Cinarizine (sp?) is an antihistamine in nature. That might make it less of a problem allergy-wise... who knows. Your GP might be able to help.

We now get ours in Vanuatu, where it is still available OTC. Used to be available in Noumea, but the French company that supplied it dropped it, reason unknown. Pharmacist there didn't think it was lack of official approval.

Anyhow, enjoy the sail from Noumea. That is usually a great tradewind sled ride. And sorry to hear that the new boat is going so slowly... time to hire a knee-capper! Oops... guess that would slow things down even more!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 24-08-2011, 08:54   #28

Boat: 1994 Hunter 37.5

Yeah, the pressure wrist bands don't work. But, I think it's because they can't apply enough pressure, because hard pressure with a thumb at that spot on the wrist does seem to relieve nausea.

My mom was in the hospital a year or so ago, and was experiencing severe nausea after anaesthesia. Could not keep anything down. The docs gave her several different meds, all to no avail. I tried the pressure on the wrist (after the doctor scoffed at the idea) and within 5 minutes she was fine.
Old 24-08-2011, 09:06   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjags View Post
Yeah, the pressure wrist bands don't work. But, I think it's because they can't apply enough pressure, because hard pressure with a thumb at that spot on the wrist does seem to relieve nausea.

My mom was in the hospital a year or so ago, and was experiencing severe nausea after anaesthesia. Could not keep anything down. The docs gave her several different meds, all to no avail. I tried the pressure on the wrist (after the doctor scoffed at the idea) and within 5 minutes she was fine.
The nausea from motion sickness and other nauseas have different causes and require different treatments.
Old 24-08-2011, 10:42   #30

Boat: 1994 Hunter 37.5

The wrist pressure seems to help with the nausea, but of course, does nothing to change what's causing it. If the cause is motion, and the motion doesn't stop, it will return pretty quickly once the pressure goes away.

It's true that if you're trying to attack the source of the nausea and block it, it makes a difference depending on what's causing it. The transderm scop patch might work well for seasickness, but probably does nothing at all for nausea caused by the flu or food poisoning, for example.

I wonder if it affects nausea from drinking too much. I'll test that this weekend............

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: