Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 05:04   #1

Boat: One-off Baron von Hoevell, 29ft steel classic
Salt tablets

Hi there,

I read left and right that salt tablets are a good thing to take along on a journey to help you maintain moisture and make the most of watersupplies. On the other hand I read that his has now deemed obsolete because of an already "large" intake of salt through foods.

What is your take on this? Is it still useful to use on a regular basis while cruising the tropics? Or maybe just to have in the abandon-ship bag? Or better yet, maybe there are other ways (I've used electrolyte powders to make sportsdrinks with regular water when working in the Australian outback) to help you retain moisture and make the most of a scarce watersupply (might not be fun, but will help you keep alive). I've also read that drinking water can be mixed with 30% seawater and still be alright to drink?

Thanks!
Orchidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 14:05   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Salt tablets

Disclaimer - I am no expert on the subject - but that won't stop me from having an opinion

I see no need for salt tablets, especially not in a survival situation.

While you do occasionally need electrolyte replacement if you are sweating heavily, most of the time you will enough from food, especially any processed food - just have a look at the sodium content usually listed on the package (in Oz anyway). If you need more, there is a ready source on the outside of your hull . If worried about the quality of the local seawater, just boil it and soon you will plenty of salt

Any time you really need electrolyte replacement, you will need large quantities of fresh water also.

In a tropical survival situation, one of the most important aspects is to minimise water lost by sweating. i.e. staying cool as possible and remaining in shade and as inactive as possible. If strenuous activity must be undertaken, try to delay (if possible) until night time.

Fortunately if afloat, one has access to large quantities of sea water that can be very helpful in remaining cool - just don't drink the stuff

The concept of "stretching" your fresh water by adding seawater is something best left to true medical experts who understand the mechanics of the body and can read the signs on what is going on under your skin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidius View Post
Hi there,

I read left and right that salt tablets are a good thing to take along on a journey to help you maintain moisture and make the most of watersupplies. On the other hand I read that his has now deemed obsolete because of an already "large" intake of salt through foods.

What is your take on this? Is it still useful to use on a regular basis while cruising the tropics? Or maybe just to have in the abandon-ship bag? Or better yet, maybe there are other ways (I've used electrolyte powders to make sportsdrinks with regular water when working in the Australian outback) to help you retain moisture and make the most of a scarce watersupply (might not be fun, but will help you keep alive). I've also read that drinking water can be mixed with 30% seawater and still be alright to drink?

Thanks!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt