Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 22:20   #61

Re: Sailors with Corrective Lenses

Contact lenses are definitely my preferred option by a long shot. I may even have a suggestion for those of you that find the cleaning routine to much hassle on passage or find that your eyes are usually too dry for contacts.

Ciba Night&Day lenses (AIR OPTIX® Brand Breathable* Contact Lenses by CIBA VISION®) 30 day continuous wear. These are the bees knees. I have no association with the company other than being a happy customer. There may be other brands that are similar but these are the ones I use.

I've been wearing contacts since I was 18 (now 43). Back then contacts had low water content & I had no problems, then they changed them to have a higher water content which is supposedly better for your eyes as they allow more oxygen to pass through. Except my eyes are too dry and couldn't keep the new lenses hydrated and almost everything I tried irritated my eyes. Then I came across the Night&Day lenses. They are made of a different material, I think they have a lower water content but still have much better oxygen permeability. Bingo! They are a little more pricey but have had comfortable lenses ever since.

In theory they are able to be left in your eyes, as the name suggests, for 30 days night&day without removal. That still doesn't sit right with me so I do take them out every evening and go through the cleaning regime as a general rule. But the advantage is, when I'm on passage (or out hiking, camping, etc) when it's a little harder to keep everything hygienic for cleaning or just too much hassle, I leave them in over night for a day or two (up to 10 days on a rare occasion) with no concerns. I hardly even know they are there most of the time. I only really only carry my specs as a backup.

I dread the day if it comes when I am no longer able to wear contacts for whatever reason and have to go back to glasses. Contacts are just so much more convenient. Rain & salt spray aren't a problem, they don't fogg, I can wear a dive mask, sunglasses, etc, or messing about in the water if I keep my eyes closed when I go under.

LASIK sounds awesome if it works 100%, but there seem to be too many (admittedly anecdotal) stories of less than perfect results for me to want to risk my eyesight, which is pretty damn good when I'm wearing lenses.
NevP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 22:34   #62
cruiser

I've worn glasses since 1962. I wore contacts for a while (a few years) in the early 80's. I spent a lifetime in construction, and every summer in the sun.

The last time I wore sunglasses of any kind was 1971, on a scout hike.

Not worth the money. The cheap clip-ons are even less worth the money than prescription sunglasses.

Not only do I not wear them, I don't trust people who don't take them off when they meet me.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 22:49   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
I've worn glasses since 1962. I wore contacts for a while (a few years) in the early 80's. I spent a lifetime in construction, and every summer in the sun.

The last time I wore sunglasses of any kind was 1971, on a scout hike.
It is important to give our eyes (and the skin around our eyes) some protection from UV. Some common eye diseases are influenced by UV exposure.

Water is a good reflector of UV so when sailing we get a higher UV exposure than others.

Other advantages of sunglasses are better dark adaption after wearing them. Polarised lenses also make seeing underwater hazards easier.

If you wear prescription glasses for distance vision at least make sure they have excellent UV protection. Most clear prescription lenses have some UV protection with some materials the UV protection is near complete. These are worth getting if don't want to wear tinted lenses.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 02:44   #64
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
It is important to give our eyes (and the skin around our eyes) some protection from UV.
If you say so.

You left out the words "...to me." though.

Our milage is different. 1962 was a while ago, and I still don't think it's important.

Interviewer: "Mr. Burns, what does your doctor say about the cigar you smoke every day with you brandy?"

George Burns: "My doctor? He's dead."
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 04:46   #65

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post

Not only do I not wear them, I don't trust people who don't take them off when they meet me.
Good idea to remove them when dealing with officals too...I usually take mine off well ahead of time.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 17:53   #66

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
They do get made in China and then jetted over to LA where they drop into the postal system. Even so -- it's usually under two weeks to get them. And they're pretty good -- no gimmicks. If you're looking for the latest fashions, you might be a bit let down. But the frames hold up well and the lenses are good.

I find the polycarbonate lenses with the extra scratch protection last longer than the regular plastic lenses.

I really do love Zenni -- made glasses ownership much less stressful. I wish they offered polarized prescription sunglasses. . . .
Cormorant,

I just got two pair of backup glasses. One for a son and the other for me. I wore mine for about a day and a half after adjusting them.

I am in your debt.

They are just fine. I no longer abuse glasses like when I was younger. Maybe it is because they cost so much......
Not now.............$85.00 for what I paid $397.00 for.

I can't thank you enough.

Bless CF.

Frank, thanks for giving him a membership.
Attached Images

Old 26-09-2013, 18:14   #67

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
They do get made in China and then jetted over to LA where they drop into the postal system. Even so -- it's usually under two weeks to get them. And they're pretty good -- no gimmicks. If you're looking for the latest fashions, you might be a bit let down. But the frames hold up well and the lenses are good. I find the polycarbonate lenses with the extra scratch protection last longer than the regular plastic lenses. I really do love Zenni -- made glasses ownership much less stressful. I wish they offered polarized prescription sunglasses. . . .
I tried getting my sunglasses that were knocked off my face and went overboard offshore last month ordered from Zenni after you posted this. Sadly, they do not make lens that fit my prescription, bifocals with prism What a difference in cost though -- in the States, just the lens cost me around $600! I have not found anywhere in the Windward Islands that can make my glasses either. Fortunately we are flying home next week for three weeks.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 18:42   #68

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
I tried getting my sunglasses that were knocked off my face and went overboard offshore last month ordered from Zenni after you posted this. Sadly, they do not make lens that fit my prescription, bifocals with prism What a difference in cost though -- in the States, just the lens cost me around $600! I have not found anywhere in the Windward Islands that can make my glasses either. Fortunately we are flying home next week for three weeks.
I thought I had whacked eyes.

What is a prism in a pair of glasses?
Old 26-09-2013, 19:06   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
SM- give me a call when you get to SL. I have a wizard for a doc in Bountiful, he can make anything in glasses and sunglasses., and he's a nice guy, diver and sailor too.
As for those that don't trust a man in sunglasses, I cannot see without mine, so I will make a note of bringing my regular bifocals in when I go talk to customs....
BTW- this is my solution to rain...with glasses underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-15 09.39.17.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	67912  
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 04:00   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I thought I had whacked eyes. What is a prism in a pair of glasses?
The simple explanation (as I understand it) is that my eyes do not focus on the same spot, the result is double vision. The correction is to make (in my case) the right lens thicker on top forcing the focal point of my eye down and the bottom edge of the left lens thicker forcing the focal point of my eye up and through the magic of glasses both of my eyes are now focusing on the same spot and the double vision is gone.

Apparently they are not easy lens to make and they can't be made for all frame types. I don't really understand why, even though it was explained to me, but I was really disappointed a few years back when the lens could not be made for a pair of aviator frames I had picked out for sunglasses.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 27-09-2013, 04:08   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
SM- give me a call when you get to SL. I have a wizard for a doc in Bountiful, he can make anything in glasses and sunglasses., and he's a nice guy, diver and sailor too. As for those that don't trust a man in sunglasses, I cannot see without mine, so I will make a note of bringing my regular bifocals in when I go talk to customs.... BTW- this is my solution to rain...with glasses underneath.
I will do that. I have a pretty good doc too but the glasses are just so expensive. And, as I said above, sometimes I have been told they can't make what I want.

On the customs thing, they really do not like sunglasses. I forgot to take mine with me once when checking into the BVI, they made me take off my sunglasses while in the office. Fortunately, I had all of the paperwork filled out before we went in -- I had to keep closing one eye so I wouldn't see two of everything, he thought that was pretty strange, LOL.
Old 27-09-2013, 05:02   #72

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
I can't thank you enough. . .

Therapy --

So glad it all worked out! Soon you'll probably be like me, with one flawless new pair and a dozen backups. . . .

I love putting people onto Zenni. Especially families from my kids' school. A lot of them are financially pinched all the time, but of course they would never skimp on their kids' eyewear, so they pony up $300 for a pair . . . and the kid loses a pair (or two) a year. Then they discover you can get glasses for under $20 a pair. . . And there was much rejoicing.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 17:13   #73

Quote:
The simple explanation (as I understand it) is that my eyes do not focus on the same spot, the result is double vision. The correction is to make (in my case) the right lens thicker on top forcing the focal point of my eye down and the bottom edge of the left lens thicker forcing the focal point of my eye up and through the magic of glasses both of my eyes are now focusing on the same spot and the double vision is gone.

Apparently they are not easy lens to make and they can't be made for all frame types. I don't really understand why, even though it was explained to me, but I was really disappointed a few years back when the lens could not be made for a pair of aviator frames I had picked out for sunglasses.
Strange. But I get it .

I just looked and saw a block to check for prism on one of Zenni's pages. At least I thought I saw it somewhere in the choices.
Old 27-09-2013, 18:36   #74
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

When they try to make prism in lenses, the edges of the lens will be much thicker than the center. Since lenses are made out of circular blanks, and frames take on all sorts of odd shapes, if can be impractical to try getting a lens blank that is big enough so that the optical center will be centered over your pupil, while the rest of the blank fills the (half of the) glasses. Or, you wind up as with aviator frames with one "corner" of the lens becoming incredibly thick, too heavy to install, or so thick that it prevents the nose pad from being positioned, or simply so thick it hits your face or eyelid.

Aside from that, lenses with special curves, or with different curves on each side, are simply not available from most labs. They're a special order and a shop that doesn't want to chase down special orders won't deal with them. Most shops buy lenses these days, very few actually grind them, the way most optometrists did in the 50's or 60's.

"We can do anything for the right price" except, when those pesky laws of physics get in the way. And when the lenses are "special" and the position in the frame and over the eye (centering) is crucial, mail-order frames would really be gambling.

The first time I got progressive lenses, I couldn't stand driving with them. Had to tilt my head all the time to get clear distance vision. My optometrist fixed that real fast, had the lenses remade with the optical center raised about 2mm from what the Varilux people recommended, in order to put the part of the rx that I needed, where it needed to be to work with my head and eyes. Mail-ordered couldn't have done that, although a sharp customer could certainly say "Do it again but..." and maybe get it almost right.

OTOH all these discount houses are also really great if you are using a local optometrist, because they know you can get glasses cheaper on the web. A discrete enquiry about competing with those prices usually will get you a significant discount, if it is apples top apples. Or at least, an explanation of why it isn't. Like "Well, they can't do this." <G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 05:31   #75

Quote:
Strange. But I get it . I just looked and saw a block to check for prism on one of Zenni's pages. At least I thought I saw it somewhere in the choices.
I emailed them for help because after I selected bifocal the option of prism disappeared. They only do it for single vision prescriptions

Tags
sail