Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2011, 10:00   #1

Sailing without a Liferaft or EPIRB

Hi guys,

So I've just got a delivery job aboard a motorcat bound for Madagascar on the East coast of Africa. The cat is intended for a fishing and dive charter in the north of Madagascar. My friend (who is to captain the boat after delivery) and I just went aboard the cat today (Sunday) and the owner told us that we should be leaving Cape Town on Wednesday. However I've noticed that there is no life raft nor an epirb aboard. Upon questioning my mate he told me that the owner (a very experienced sailor who has apparently won the cape to rio in his category) told him that there is no liferaft because it is near impossible to sink a cat. While I have heard this before I get Titanic-enduced-shivers down my spine at the thought of sailing without these. Of course I am a newby at sailing (with a coastal skippers certificate from a sailing school) but this doesn't sit right with me. What you reckon?
Rory B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 10:31   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Sailing without a Liferaft or EPIRB

Ask him what to to if a fire breaks out and it burns to the waterline- If your doing a delevery I would get your own personal Ebirp- and if he has a good dink your fine
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 10:36   #3

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Or if it flips and you are floating around - indefinitely - how you will get the attention of someone else without an EPIRB...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 11:13   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook

No EPIRB "no way" !!!

A Dink can be your Liferaft.
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 11:21   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory B View Post
Upon questioning my mate he told me that the owner (a very experienced sailor who has apparently won the cape to rio in his category) told him that there is no liferaft because it is near impossible to sink a cat.
I think that's reasonable, actually. An upside-down cat will be rather better than a liferaft, so why would you incur the expense and carry the weight?

If you're concerned about the lack of an EPIRB, buy yourself a PLB. You should have one anyway if you are spending time offshore.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 11:44   #6

Sorry for the ignorance- PLB? And I'm taking it that a dink is a tender or inflatable/semi-rigid?
Old 18-09-2011, 11:50   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Sorry for the ignorance- PLB? And I'm taking it that a dink is a tender or inflatable/semi-rigid?
PLB = Personal Locator Beacon. It's a personal EPIRB. For example, a McMurdo Fast Find.

Dink = dinghy. Yes, tender. They do not make good liferafts except in very good weather.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 11:53   #8

Boat: Tanzer 7.5 sailboat | Current Designs Solstice GTS kayak

Quote:
Personal locator beacon. You should be ok, you'll probably be sticking close to shore for most of the way to avoid the Agulhas, so will probably be within VHF contact at all times.
alan_za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 12:12   #9
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter

This if not handled correctly can be a very difficult crossing . We are about to do it from Madagaskar to Richards bay. This is not the sort of trip you wanna be cutting corners on. Make sure your motor/s are in good order. Going anywhere without an epirb is just dum and should not even be up for discussion.

www.byamee.com
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 15:19   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

I only hope it is a big cat. Sailing out of CT and towards Madagascar (BTW not on but off the coast) is not for the fain hearted.

Even in the right season, I would take the EPIRB/liferaft with me.

Remember you will be sailing well offshore to dodge the foul current. If you get caught in a gale, you will have to weather it offshore in an area notorious for sea accidents.

BTW If the boat is to do charters later, how come she is not equipped adequately?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 15:47   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Your call...

As a crewperson you need to be satisfied that the boat is seaworthy before you step onboard.

You could get a PLB, bring your own inflatable harness/tethers or even turn up with your own small liferaft. Have you asked if you can do this? Their answer may enlighten you regarding their attitude to safety.

If it were me the absence of EPIRB, liferaft would be sending up red flags. This is not a coastal voyage.

Have you been able to check right through the boat to make sure that everything else is OK?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 23:39   #12

Thanks guys. I appreciate the honest advice. There really are red flags going up in mind! Although to be fair they will still be working on the boat for the next three days. However the boat definitely does not give me a "safety first" vibe. The boat is brand new and has new everything including engines...but things like man over board equipment, etc are absent.
Old 18-09-2011, 23:41   #13

Any other advice as to what sort of things should be throwing up red flags? There are fire extinguishers but these are stowed in lockers in different areas around the boat.
Old 19-09-2011, 00:14   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

IMO nothing fundamentally wrong sailing without both ("safety" (Lol!) doesn't come from gadgets or how big the cheques are).

But for me too much of a trust thing doing so with a unknown boat, crew and skipper.

Cat or Mono
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 00:41   #15

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

If you'd not cover that water ill equipped on your own boat, why do it on someone elses?

Plus maybe worth checking out the trip is fully insured and you're not carrying any kind of liability as crew.

There's a relatively recent but well known local case where a delivery skipper paid his mate a hundred pounds to help him move a large power boat from the Solent to Poole (around 10 miles).

Easy money but they put it on autopilot, ran around the boat tidying up kit, and whilst heads down the boat hit a navigational buoy flat out. It holed it above the waterline but when slowed, in it all came.

It sunk. They got away safely. But the 'delivery skipper' AND the pal who crewed were taken to court by the insurance company, judged to have been at fault, and collectively costs were awarded against them both.........

I believe it bankrupted them both. So check that out along with your safety issues and hopefully you'll have a safe enjoyable trip.

Cheers
JOHN

Tags
epirb, liferaft, sailing