Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2018, 19:17   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Sailing Gloves? Yea or Nay?

Always. I also don't believe in bare feet in any manner of breaze, though many do.

I probably trim and adjust more than most. I lifetime of climbing and work has also convinced me that hands are worth protecting, not just from rope burn--that's minor--but from bruising tendons.

Obviously, if the boat is going to be on AP for a while they come off.

Old 13-12-2018, 19:18   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well you guys and gals are a lot tougher than I! Or at least your hands are. Since I am in cooler water, with a smaller boat, I am pulling up anchors by hand and then raising halyards to go of course. Then I just leave em on if I’ll be tacking a lot or anchoring again soon.... it only takes one good injury, that just doesn’t heal very fast, to make a glove-wearer out of me. When I was younger I was tougher.

Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 19:31   #18

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I always have my gloves handy.... when racing on friends boat always wear them. I saw a friend have a line cut through his hand to the bone before he blinked an eye.
NYSail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 19:35   #19

My wife and I rarely wear gloves, only when the weather is cold and rainy; and even then we don't wear them much. My hands are just used to it from many years of cycling in cold weather. I also sail in bare feet most of the time.

Helpful Hint #1: If your chest is kept warm, your hands won't get cold because your blood will keep circulating to your extremities.

Helpful hint #2: Let your winches do the heavy lifting, not your hands. No need for gloves.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 19:54   #20

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Oh yeah, I love the glove. Not the sporty fingerless pulling on a halyard or sheeting in the jib type. Nope. I'm talking about the big, puffy, ski gloves that I wear at night, or in the winter. Yes, when I'm at the wheel, or tiller, or just sitting in the cockpit and it's cold. I've got my hat. I've got my jacket and scarf. Actually, I wear those tube things that my niece gave me for Christmas that fits like a turtle neck ... but I digress ... and yes, my warm, comfy gloves. And nice warm hands. I take them off when I handle lines or anything else. Yes, I put on a leather wrap on the steering wheel. I'm serious bout my comfort on those cold watches. And those ski gloves? Got several pairs!!
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 20:33   #21

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Blimey, it looks like gloves are the new anchors!
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 20:47   #22
rbk

Boat: Tayana 37

Ive worked with my hands for many many years. Ive had to use vice grips to remove large (5”+) splinters from my palm on more than one occasion. Callouses so thick I cut them down with an olfal to appease the admiral. Gloves are for when it’s cold and when it gets nasty. They keep the burn and fatigue down and allow you to slip out if a finger gets stuck in a line on the drum. Heard and watched pleanty of guys tell me they know how to handle ropes only to have their hands ripped open from a tag line and a gust of wind (overhead lifting not sailing). My gloves live at the helm and only come off when it’s calm and warm. It’ll be the one time a line twists and slightly coils around your hand or finger right when a gust grabs your sail and decides to crush your hand or fingers dislocate your wrist or remove a few finger nails instead of simply taking your glove off. If it’s light and calm chances are you’ll be ok but they are a safety item period. They’re also a first aid item for when one of the above does happen and now you get to single hand for four hours back to dock with a mangled hand.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 20:54   #23

Boat: Voyage 430

After cruising for years, I found that I almost never wore gloves in warm weather for sail handling, but on some occasions where the windlass had to be manually operated, they're a life saver. I called them anchoring gloves.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 21:07   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I think for me it’s not just that I develop callouses over time, but I also get smart about how to manage a moving line. Avoiding rope burn is a matter of experience , and managing lines smartly.

I find if I don’t use gloves I (re)learn how to be smart pretty quickly at the start of each season .
^^^^Aah, you're a lovely fellow, our Mike.

The points about line size are well taken, but it is also a case that you can slipe line through your fingers (not the wisest deal in the world), or on the winches, by unloading the lines. [NEVER, ever try to catch a line that is running free with a bare hand. Let that puppy go! to Satan, but do not sacrifice your hand to it!! EVER!!]* Let the winch hold the load, as Kenomac suggested, and let the line slip on the winch. Tailing an uncleated winch is only about maintaining enough pressure to keep the line stable. A slight difference in pressure allows the line to ease; it takes more, to cleat in. If you have and use self-tailing winches, you may want to try doing it without the self-tailer, to assess the forces involved, and to see if you need another wrap on the winch.

*And, that's why I don't need to wear gloves. Just a sissy at heart. Do not like hurting myself.

Ann
Old 13-12-2018, 22:04   #25

Boat: Sweden Yachts

Rarely!
My jib sheets are thick soft polyester, and very comfortable to handle. Main sheet is on a 4:1 tackle and always operated by a winch, so never a frightening load there either.
I´ve promised myself to wear gloves while sheeting the asymmetrical spinnaker, but rarely seem to remember. Being a drummer, I´ve got plenty of callouses, which helps quite a bit. Luckily, I haven´t had a rope burn in many years, so I guess I´ve become a tad fearless in that department.

Always wear a life jacket, though. I feel naked without it. Never needed it, but always wear it.
After breaking a toe on deck, I´ve started wearing shoes as well.
Gloves on the other hand, next to never actually.

-kjetil-
-bliss- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 23:28   #26

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
^^^^Aah, you're a lovely fellow, our Mike.

The points about line size are well taken, but it is also a case that you can slipe line through your fingers (not the wisest deal in the world), or on the winches, by unloading the lines. [NEVER, ever try to catch a line that is running free with a bare hand. Let that puppy go! to Satan, but do not sacrifice your hand to it!! EVER!!]* Let the winch hold the load, as Kenomac suggested, and let the line slip on the winch. Tailing an uncleated winch is only about maintaining enough pressure to keep the line stable. A slight difference in pressure allows the line to ease; it takes more, to cleat in. If you have and use self-tailing winches, you may want to try doing it without the self-tailer, to assess the forces involved, and to see if you need another wrap on the winch.

*And, that's why I don't need to wear gloves. Just a sissy at heart. Do not like hurting myself.
Thanks Ann, I agree . As you say, hands are not made for stopping a running rope. If it gets away, let it go. But this rarely seems to happen on our boat — probably b/c we’re chicken sailors .

(BTW, not often do I get called “lovely.” Thanks )

I don’t think this needs to devolve into a ‘my way is the best way’ discussion. Glove/no gloves. Both are fine. I used to wear them all the time, but stopped when we went more long-term on the boat. Just not needed for most of our cruising now.

I certainly wear gloves for warmth (remember, I like to sail in colder climes). I use motorcycle gloves when it gets wet and cold. And I do reach for sailing gloves on those occasions when sailing has become more challenging that I like.

I suppose if I was racing I might want gloves. But in answer to the OP’s question, most of the time I just don’t need them.
Old 13-12-2018, 23:48   #27

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

No sailing gloves here. Must be freezing temps and then it's mittens on but if there's anything to do with my hands of they go. Sheeting the genny for another tack without furling on a 65 footer with solent stay is as far as my bear hands can handle ok.
I think how comfortable you are with bare hands is about how strong grip you have. Slip a bit and suffer..

Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 23:51   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We have been underway for 11 years and owned and sailed the boat 15 years - we got gloves when we started and never use them - I found them the other day when I was looking for something, still there and in great condition.

Do wear gloves, not sailing gloves, when and if we ever catch a fish, work on the bottom and when we have a stern/bow line that is a bottom line and use to hold the boat when we are at dock (attaches to a chain on the bottom - lots them in the Med) -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 03:28   #29

Boat: Expedition 36 Aluminium

It seems I wear gloves for the wrong reason, sun protection on the back of the hands.. on the southern coast of Australia it’s more about sun protection. At 54 my hands have severe sun damage from a life time of sailing. So whilst many here comment on wearing them in cold weather only, here it is the opposite.
Diamond Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 04:05   #30
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing Gloves? Yea or Nay?

I wear shoes and use gloves.. but then I've bust little toes a few times and for some reason took a dislike to it.. as for gloves?? when I feel they are needed so they go in my kitbag on every trip.
Also the callous's snag nylons and are harsh on the skin..

Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing