Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 16:55   #1

Safety Tips to Share

Many boaters share tips on boat handling, places to go, and products to buy. But few share safety tips on a regular basis.

So what are some of you best ideas?

I'll start with the first one.

Have your vessel checked by the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary. It's free, and they only tell you if they find something wrong, no one else.

You get a nice sticker to show you voluntarily had you boat checked for the minimum requirements.

It's kind of like a "proof reader for safety"

Looking forward to reading other comments.
Saltysailor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 17:06   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Safety tips to share

If your wife says "What, do you think I'm stupid or something?". Say no.

If you think you can just shave a little bit off this small thingy in your hand using your razor knife to cut toward your palm - don't do it.

If you think the power is turned off when you are going to do work on the panel, double check it.

Don't ask how I know this stuff, but I could go on for weeks…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 17:34   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

# 1 - Practice MOB.

My crew knows I will periodically throw a ring in the water and call MOB with no prep.

One time I called, "Skipper overboard!" released the tiller and sat down.

By the time they figured it out (I was OB and not going to help them) the ring had gone mid-channel and had been run over by a towed barge and the boat was pretty close to the lee shore. I was basically dead and they had a new "emergency" that now had them and the boat in danger.

While you may be able to execute a perfect MOB recovery, can your crew do it without you?

#2 - Brief for safety - Especially with new people on board. You may have it all figured out in your head but it always helps to hear it periodically.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 17:57   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
While you may be able to execute a perfect MOB recovery, can WILL your crew do it without you?
Michele is the only other person on board. No way in hell am I going to test the answer to that.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 18:08   #5

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

Throw your least popular crew overboard [wife?] and ask 'what do I do next'. Practice all your emergency procedures often. I watch 'Air Crash Investigation' and some very high hour pilots can't handle some emergency pocedures. Their headstone is labeled 'pilot error'.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 18:16   #6

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Reef before you need to.
Old 08-07-2014, 18:28   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Have your coffee and use the toilet BEFORE departure.

It helps you to stay focused.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 18:43   #8

Always test your radio before you leave, and wait to hear a response to make sure it is working. Add it to your check list before you untie the lines.
Andy
openseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 23:13   #9

How about don't throw a bow line to a non boater that just happens to be on the dock.

They will always pull your bow in and throw your stern out.
Old 08-07-2014, 23:36   #10
cruiser

Don't allow drunks/alcoholics on your boat; they don't listen and every decision they make is bass-ackwards & dumbass. Pre-screen your guests the best you can, having someone on your boat who won't listen is a nightmare. If you find yourself in this position, head straight back to the dock and remove the problem.

Keep glass onboard to a minimum.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 23:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Don't allow drunks/alcoholics on your boat; they don't listen and every decision they make is bass-ackwards & dumbass. Pre-screen your guests the best you can, having someone on your boat who won't listen is a nightmare. If you find yourself in this position, head straight back to the dock and remove the problem.

Keep glass onboard to a minimum.
When I am the captain of charter vessels that have banquet permits for alcohol, I add my own comments to the safety speech of my crew. I say you are welcome to drink but not drink too much. If I feel that you had too much to drink I will cut you off from drinking and not allow you on deck. If you don't listen, I will call harbor patrol if needed or will take you to the nearest dock and call a cab for you. If a few of you become drunk I will bring the boat to the nearest dock and let everyone off and call a cab for you.

I never had a problem after that speech and members of a party kept themselves in check.
Old 09-07-2014, 13:23   #12

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Safety Tips to Share

As when playing chess, have a few moves planned in advance in your head, and some contingency plans too...

Before a manoeuver, take a few moments to brief the crew on your intentions. But don't worry, they will not do as briefed. Then, plan some margin for Murphy's law.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 14:10   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tanton 43

Identify the sources of stored (potential) energy. We all know the obvious (shrouds, anchor chain, batteries, etc) but there are many others both internal (e.g. Rigging, rudder when turned, any taught line or pressurized hose ) and external (waves, other boats, etc).

Then just remember, anything with a lot of potential energy also has the potential to hurt you.

John Konrad
Old 09-07-2014, 15:37   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
# 1 - Practice MOB.

My crew knows I will periodically throw a ring in the water and call MOB with no prep.

One time I called, "Skipper overboard!" released the tiller and sat down.

By the time they figured it out (I was OB and not going to help them) the ring had gone mid-channel and had been run over by a towed barge and the boat was pretty close to the lee shore. I was basically dead and they had a new "emergency" that now had them and the boat in danger.

While you may be able to execute a perfect MOB recovery, can your crew do it without you?

#2 - Brief for safety - Especially with new people on board. You may have it all figured out in your head but it always helps to hear it periodically.
This is so important! Crew confidence is built by the successful rescue of the ring or floating cushion (what we use). And I expect Jim feels better, knowing I can do it, too.

Other things for safety, never stand over loaded blocks.

Make sure your head is on the other side of the forestay when you release the spinnaker guy.

Never use bare hands to try to catch a running line out that is not around a winch.

NEVER, EVER put any part of your body between the boat and a hard bit.

There's lots more, of course, but there's a few.

Ann
Old 09-07-2014, 16:53   #15

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

...plan some margin for Murphy's law...

Better still, work to O'Toole's Law , which states: "That Murphy fella's a bloody optimist"

I too sail two-handed with only my wife, if I go over the side unconscious or incapacitated, then I will die. If I go over the side in big seas or rough weather, then I will die. If I go over the side on a glass-flat day, having suggested that she might be stupid, then I will die: Don't call the crew stupid and clip-on.

Take your time and don't panic: Coming from a background of motorcycles where you might have 1/10th of a second or less to make a decision by which you can easily live or die, then sailing is by comparison easy; when the crap hits the air-mover, you invariably have time to take a second or two often even three or four, before you act; rather than panic, use those seconds to make the right decision.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety