Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 03:56   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: saftey on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulpilot45 View Post
Ok hubby tells me not to go there but.... I don't listen very well. So on that note ;-)

Did you even try to use the search function and read all the other threads as I doubt this one is going to go down any new paths?

Other that that isn't a shotgun a stopper "in their tracks" at close quarters? But this is from a non-gunner!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:40   #17

Boat: Mason 43

Simple answers are:
If you carry a firearm you had better be prepared to kill the human in front of you. Otherwise it puts you at more rick than it does them.

Much better non-lethal alternatives are mace and stun guns. Most of us have spent a lot of money on safety equipment, life raft, EPIRB, PLB, etc., which we hope we never have to use and fortunately none of those are against any laws.

Consider that the odds of being attacked are much greater in your local mall parking lot. I don't think that you are overly concerned about going to the store.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:50   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Here you go...

guns - Google Search

weapons - Google Search

non lethal - Google Search

firearms - Google Search

ad infinitum...
Old 02-04-2012, 05:24   #19
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Exactly,
Most of the posters come from one of the most violent nations on the planet yet have a fear of bad people.
They read a story or two about an incredibly small % of cruisers that strike trouble, a far smaller % than what would be in their own neighbourhood where they happily live and extrapolate that out to we are all at risk and need bazookas.

Irrational fear.

I don't think it's irrational at all. I don't worry about it, but I don't think it's irrational.

On a boat, you're really cornered. At least a boat my size.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:31   #20

Boat: Tartan 30

Take a few months of Krav Maga lessons and you'll feel alot better about not having a firearm aboard
Old 02-04-2012, 05:38   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Take a few months of Krav Maga lessons and you'll feel alot better about not having a firearm aboard
excellent suggestion!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:50   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay View Post
Much better non-lethal alternatives are mace and stun guns.
Just remember that there are countries where mace and stun guns are just as rigidly restricted as firearms, and the penalties for possession are just as severe.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:24   #23

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I don't think it's irrational at all. I don't worry about it, but I don't think it's irrational.
Its irrational when you as a US citizen probably have a better chance of getting into trouble going about daily life in your own neighbourhood.
Do you suffer from paranoia every time you go down the shops?
Why would you be on your boat ?
Old 02-04-2012, 06:56   #24
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n
Just remember that there are countries where mace and stun guns are just as rigidly restricted as firearms, and the penalties for possession are just as severe.
Actually more severe they are usually banned weapons and confiscated.

My advice is the most acceptable is a shotgun. Pistols are more likely to be confiscated.

To each his own , I see no point to them of course. I target shoot , I have semis,( with silencers) pistols and shotguns , yet I never see the need on a boat.

Dave
Old 02-04-2012, 07:05   #25

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

Look into the effectiveness of the flare gun. There is a reason that the US authorities do not regard flare guns as regulated firearms.

With common flares, they are almost unquestionably NOT deadly weapons. I've seen a video of a man shooting himself in the head with one, no worse for the wear. I've seen a crime lab report that suggests that they would not be a deadly weapon. Just really good fire starters. A bit like a super BIC lighter!

Also, all of the "pistol" style flare guns I've seen have specific warnings NOT to fire regular 12 ga shells from them. According to some reports, regular 12 ga. shells are loaded to much higher pressures than 12 ga. flare shells.

You might be able to find an insert that will allow you to use them with smaller dia pistol or shotgun ammo, however even that will be of questionable effectiveness at best. At best it's a single shot pistol, with a non rifled barrel and no sights. At least my odds of hitting anything with it are so low as to be negligible unless I can almost touch the target with my hands!

I'd argue not to count on a flare gun to stop anyone. More than likely it won't.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:49   #26
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: safety on board

hot flare bounces off the intruder and ends up ............. where, while it burns?
Old 02-04-2012, 07:59   #27

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
I guess I will start with a thank you for responding. Now off to the races..;-)
I don't think being concerned of our saftey is irrational or being paranoid ,I feel its more of being prepared.
I did research some of the threads it is not always easy from phone as lots of options are not available this way. Sorry..
I have had self defence classes when I was younger n very much remember what I was taught but physically I'm no longer capable of hand to hand combat.
We plan to visit some places that blogs have stories of what has happened granted the % may be low but still it happens just like at the malls. Difference in mall you have better chance of others being there on water moored alone its me n the hubby, so yes I want to gain knowledge..
I come from a family of gun owners and avid hunters I was taught to use them with excellent accuracy however I myself don't like or want them. The question was alternative ways..
Fire extinguisher good idea ,mace has to be resonably close to be accurate. I don't want them that close!!!
Counting on flare guns. Lol right good fire starters !! I don't want to burn my home down around me in water. Js. I did that to a 3 foot stump. In the morning stump was gone and had found trenches in yard from where it continued burning roots thru the night so not really wanting to take a chance on burning someone in my boat.
I know stay home ....lmao that's not gonna be hard the boat will be our home for the next 20 years god willing.
Guess I wil do my home alone thing n booby trap the hell out of it. Hot wheels on the stairs paint cans hanging from ceiling at companionway testicle bitting ankle dog and lead filled baseball bat. Is that legal in all countrys?
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:11   #28

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

I'm an old "Black Powder" fanatic, carry a couple 50s in rifle form and a couple old navy 45s.. been boarded by the CG a number of times and when I mention I have them aboard, they chuckle.. I've even got a small 1inch cannon.. No issue..
Of what I'm to understand, the US as well as outher countries dont concider them to be firearms.. I've also traveled with them in baggage and declared them, never had a issue.
Just remember to keep your powder dry...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:20   #29

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
I'm an old "Black Powder" fanatic, carry a couple 50s in rifle form and a couple old navy 45s.. been boarded by the CG a number of times and when I mention I have them aboard, they chuckle.. I've even got a small 1inch cannon.. No issue..
Of what I'm to understand, the US as well as outher countries dont concider them to be firearms.. I've also traveled with them in baggage and declared them, never had a issue.
Just remember to keep your powder dry...
Have you been to Mexico? I was under the impression even ball and cap revolvers were regulated there.

Heck, if some places regard flare guns as fire arms, I can't see why they wouldn't also include muzzle loaders.

Not to mention the practical issues of using a ball and cap revolver for self defense in a high humidity environment.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:47   #30

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post
Have you been to Mexico? I was under the impression even ball and cap revolvers were regulated there.

Heck, if some places regard flare guns as fire arms, I can't see why they wouldn't also include muzzle loaders.

Not to mention the practical issues of using a ball and cap revolver for self defense in a high humidity environment.
We have been to mexico, a number of times both by car and by boat BUT have always had a hunting permit, and uasally joined a group that is recognised by the officials..
Vagabundos is just one of the organizations.. They promote travel and fishing in Mexico and because there are thousands of members spending money in Mexico, the officials seem to give a break if you are supporting one of the groups..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety