Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-01-2013, 18:00   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: Safety Issues running generator at night?

As others have said, you really shouldn't need it other than for A/C. And if it's needed, then run it. To try to avoid upsetting others, try to stay at the back of the other boats.

Old 07-01-2013, 18:55   #17
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Well it looks like the genny crowd out number the non A/C folks. If you need to run it, try to do it with commen sense and consider others. Just like everything else in society.

Hey Bash your post seemed a little heavy handed toward your view being the correct one. It appears that everyone uses their genny how and when they want. Maybe some are rude and thoughtless but its their planet too and its how it goes. You think its rude, maybe they think your anal and over bearing. Works both ways.

Old 07-01-2013, 19:00   #18

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Gee all I can say is Ive had lots and lots of folks stop by to cool off on our not noisey, or smelly air condidtioned boat !! Lots of them are sorta like bash ! like to be cool but are quick to say how NO ONE should run a genny cus they are in the ancorage !!LOL I can't remember the last time anyone memtioned that knew we were running a genny !! so I guess we will continue to do so !! At our age we do like our comfort!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:20   #19

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Gee all I can say is Ive had lots and lots of folks stop by to cool off on our not noisey, or smelly air condidtioned boat !! Lots of them are sorta like bash ! like to be cool but are quick to say how NO ONE should run a genny cus they are in the ancorage !!LOL I can't remember the last time anyone memtioned that knew we were running a genny !! so I guess we will continue to do so !! At our age we do like our comfort!

+1 Key is having a good installation. And if you are running one don't tell anyone as some will object on principle.
Old 08-01-2013, 14:54   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Some of you folks obviously haven't spent time in South Texas in the summer.

We run our generator quite often, all night long. That being said, we are almost always anchored out behind everyone else (most of which also have generators running), and we've never had a complaint. I mean, you can't even hear it, from 50 feet a way. The only from on deck, is sound is water from the exhaust.
Old 08-01-2013, 15:39   #21

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Experience teaches that any boat that runs its generator all night will be reviled, scorned and ridiculed by fellow cruisers.
Experience also teaches that, not uncommonly, it is one of those doing the most reviling, scorning and ridiculing that show up, usually out of sight on one's lee side, hot and sweaty with a dead battery hoping to borrow "a few amps" for an hour or two or a bag of ice, and, "...as long as I'm here, let's sit inside in the cool. I'll trade ya this 6-pack of warm beer for a couple'a cold ones".

One can simply not hear our generator from more the 15-20 feet. But, if anyone complains, we'll move if they were there first or suggest they do if they anchored after we arrived. (FWIW our slip neighbor cannot tell when we have the generator running).
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:04   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, JGSelene.
Thanks for the warm welcome Gord and thank you all for your input!

Astrid, our battery bank can handle most systems onboard except the HVAC (when needed for an extended duration such as over night) and the davit (in the event of an emergency recovery situation for the dinghy).

We have a 12kw Northern Lights generator housed inside a sound shield box which is housed inside the heavily insulated engine room. It's nearly impossible to hear the generator running inside the boat and there is no audible noise outside thanks to the underwater exhaust discharge.

I wholly agree with all the comments regarding generator use and common courtesy at an anchorage.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:08   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGSelene View Post
What does experience teach about running the generator through the night when on anchor to preserve systems that the inverter cannot handle?

Ultimately I'm curious as to whether or not serious cruisers choose to run their generators at night? If so, are there any health/safety concerns that you pay particular attention to aside from possible fume backdraft?
anchor somewhere else ...OK?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:08   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Generators that do not have an exhaust/water separator will ruin the peace of an anchorage. It's not been the engine noise for an installed generator in my experience that's offensive.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:28   #25

Boat: 38' French Cat

When we run our honda eu2000, we can barely tell its running when inside our cabin. Not sure a boat 100 yds away would really hear it or not. Pretty hard to sleep when its 90+ out at night in the middle of summer without AC or a really good fan!
Old 09-01-2013, 12:49   #26

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

We run our generator almost all the time we are away from the dock. It only emits 65 db in the cockpit due to the sound enclosure and the water exhaust. We keep our salon at 72 degrees all the time. We don't ever bother anyone in an anchorage because you can't hear it 5 feet from our boat. If you are anchoring that close to us, then it is you that should never have gotten that close!

We have carbon monoxide detectors in the boat, but have never had one go off. You don't have to be uncomfortable and like a camper in the woods to enjoy sailing.
Old 09-01-2013, 13:40   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some wind generators are a lot noisier than some diesel ones.
Old 09-01-2013, 14:02   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

we just had some "cruisers" who allegedly have been doing this for 3-4 yrs--dont leave boat to invest in local economy--and make mucho noises with unmuffled generators in a once quiet anchorage. they never once had consideration for others during their tenure of a week in zihuatenejo.
metal on metal noises in night when anchored also. they left today, so life is again awesome.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 15:35   #29

Boat: Still doing research...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
...One can simply not hear our generator from more the 15-20 feet. But, if anyone complains, we'll move if they were there first or suggest they do if they anchored after we arrived...
This is a good policy.
Old 09-01-2013, 16:01   #30

Consider that there is a HUGE difference between an air cooled Honda and a built in diesel unit.

Consider that consideration for neighbors should be a priority. Simple (but not always recognized).

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, safety

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: