Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2014, 20:26   #16

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Safety Briefing- What topics should be on the list?

Trip hazards,
Medical conditions
Obeying the skipper
Acknowledging instructions
PPE mandatory
Any issues with the vessel
Actions on for hazards like MoB
Weather forecast
Vessel traffic

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 08:26   #17

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceandeep View Post
Thanks everyone. These are some great contributions. I think I'll make up a checklist of your ideas and hand them out during the safety briefing.

I've had some interesting experiences over the years taking out new sailors such as...
- putting small toys down the head
- falling off the boat
- getting seasick just 10 boat lengths from the dock
- getting legs and arms trapped between the boat and the dock
- running to the bow when docking and blocking the view from the helm
- throwing lines in the water, etc. etc.
I'd be interested in hearing any stories that happened to other sailors and how a safety briefing might have helped to prevent the situation
I don't understand how these mishaps can happen though I haven't had my boat for very long and I am also a fairly new sailor. People who come with me, especially the new ones who've never or rarely sailed before, are very good at asking me what they can do before they do something. I try to give them very simple things if they're not familiar with boat handling, and even if they are, I like to see how they manage simple things first before I ask them to do anything more complicated. Even experienced people who sail small boats, may not realize how heavy boats handle. I single-hand my boat, so it would actually be better if no one did anything, but people want to be helpful and feel like they've contributed, so it's good to give them something. The best thing that has helped me prepare for these situations is to talk through what everyone is going to do and tell them what is going to happen before you get close to the dock when talking can get stressful. I do this at least 15 min before any controlled situation such as docking, raising/dousing sails, gybing, etc. I am, however, still working on my techniques for telling people what to do during uncontrolled situations when I'm still trying to figure it out myself

As to the toy down the head, tell people that if it didn't pass through their bodies, then it doesn't go into the head. Perhaps that's harder to impress on a child though.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 09:06   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

[QUOTE=gamayun;1705972]I don't understand how these mishaps can happen....QUOTE]

Well, they do.

* Head. If you don't want certain things going into the head that shouldn't, be sure to have appropriate disposal and some zip-locks in obvious sight; guests can be too embarrassed to ask. Put up a visual sign.

* Docking. I always explain that I don't want anyone reaching or jumping; if the piling does not come within easy reach, I will repeat the approach. Basically, I dock as though it were only me. If I want help, I will take each person to their station ahead of time, lay the line out for them with whatever loop is needed, and explain what is needed... and not to strain doing it.

* Out of the way. When docking I give specific instructions regarding places I don't want anyone standing (sight-line or between me and the first line ashore). For example, since I back in every time, everyone aft must be seated.

* Sea sick. Always have meds available, even if you never use them.

---

And no sunscreen on the dodger, and no spray bug juice on the boat.

Lotsa rules.
Old 23-12-2014, 16:42   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Up here in the PNW, I like to go through a brief description of the water, how cold water is very dangerous even if you have a life vest, and that leads me to MOB drills. I just impress on people why they need to stay tied in, especially at night when taking watch.
I tend not to "sell" sailing much anymore, and first timers are rare on my boat. We had one for 3 days the entire cruise in 2014 (two months).
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 17:21   #20

Boat: Westerly Sealord

1/ Don't put manhole covers down the head.
2/ Acknowledge instructions.
3/ DFI!!! ... because if you fall in you will most probably die........ ( that concentrates their minds a bit...)

Tags
safety